Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extreme Weather Brewing  (Read 9479 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Extreme Weather Brewing
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 03:04:24 pm »
The cold front is coming through right now bringing a low that is expected to be 54 tonight.  My planned brew day, Sunday, looks like a high of 79 and sunny.  I think I'll brew outside.

Shoot.  It's in the 50s in my basement and the two batches I brewed yesterday are taking a slow start to fermentation.

Outside is too cold for me.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 05:25:56 pm »
The cold front is coming through right now bringing a low that is expected to be 54 tonight.  My planned brew day, Sunday, looks like a high of 79 and sunny.  I think I'll brew outside.
Back in your house?
Mashed and batch sparged a 5 gallon batch in the kitchen. Boiled and chilled in the garage. This was easy and not so bad!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 06:33:39 am »
I 'm not worthy in the company of some of you.  It is -18 this morning and with a high of 8 today, I'm leaving the yeast in the fridge.  I thought about mashing inside and boiling out, but my water pipe is frozen.  First time I've ever had a frozen line here in 20 years.  We have some hardy, diehard brewers lurking here on this forum.  This is when a 3.5 gallon system would be nice to have.  I may have to make one.  I do see a need for a couple 3 gallon kegs. 
Jeff B

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 06:49:50 am »
-20 this morning...not considering wind chills that have it feeling like -30. brewing pushed to tomorrow where 25-30F should feel like spring.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 07:18:55 am »
-20 this morning...not considering wind chills that have it feeling like -30. brewing pushed to tomorrow where 25-30F should feel like spring.

Lol, heat wave.  Tomorrow is bringing snow or ice, so I'm up in the air.  It could be heading your way.  Chagrin Falls aye, went to KSU with folks from your area.   
Jeff B

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 07:20:37 am »

Lol, heat wave.  Tomorrow is bringing snow or ice, so I'm up in the air.  It could be heading your way.  Chagrin Falls aye, went to KSU with folks from your area.   

looks like its all snow for us with the ice further south. KSU...Kent?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 07:21:19 am »
I 'm not worthy in the company of some of you.  It is -18 this morning and with a high of 8 today, I'm leaving the yeast in the fridge.  I thought about mashing inside and boiling out, but my water pipe is frozen.  First time I've ever had a frozen line here in 20 years.  We have some hardy, diehard brewers lurking here on this forum.

Don't be too hard on yourself.  When I was in my 20s (1990s) I brewed in this stuff every weekend like a badge of honor. And I still do on occasion, but I pick my battles.  I have a pot that's big enough to straddle two burners on the gas stove and works fine. So I won't lie, tomorrow I'm kitchen bound.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 11:00:25 am »

looks like its all snow for us with the ice further south. KSU...Kent?
Yup a Golden Flash from the late 80's
Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 11:03:39 am »
I 'm not worthy in the company of some of you.  It is -18 this morning and with a high of 8 today, I'm leaving the yeast in the fridge.  I thought about mashing inside and boiling out, but my water pipe is frozen.  First time I've ever had a frozen line here in 20 years.  We have some hardy, diehard brewers lurking here on this forum.

Don't be too hard on yourself.  When I was in my 20s (1990s) I brewed in this stuff every weekend like a badge of honor. And I still do on occasion, but I pick my battles.  I have a pot that's big enough to straddle two burners on the gas stove and works fine. So I won't lie, tomorrow I'm kitchen bound.   ;)
I need gas.  I have all the pipe to install gas to the stove and didn't get it accomplished.  Never a fan of electric, but hey I was 23.  Now that I brew I look at new gas ranges purely for max BTU! 
Jeff B

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 11:52:52 am »
-20 here as well this morning. The coldest temp on record in Youngstown is -22 set in 1994. They haven't released an official low today, but I'm guessing it's top 5. Then we're supposed to get 5-8" tomorrow, but it's going to be heat waving in the 30's! Crazy to think that 30 is 50 degrees warmer than this morning. The only brewing activities for me this weekend is to adjust the temp on my ferm blanket.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2015, 11:59:25 am »
Crazy to think that 30 is 50 degrees warmer than this morning. 

Yeah, it is crazy. We're getting ~ 5-7" tomorrow. Over it !
Jon H.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2015, 12:19:16 pm »

And I'll still be brewing!!!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2015, 12:26:29 pm »

And I'll still be brewing!!!

I am too but I'm getting over a cold, so (like I posted) I'm going the wuss route in the house this time.  I'll manage to drown my shame when I tap the beer though.     :D
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2015, 04:52:01 pm »
Yeah, I'm wussing  out as I woke up this morning with the beginnings of something. Sore throat, cough, runny nose. I'll be sitting by the fireplace instead of brewing. Will have to push the pilsner until next weekend
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2015, 04:53:34 pm »
Yeah, I'm wussing  out as I woke up this morning with the beginnings of something. Sore throat, cough, runny nose. I'll be sitting by the fireplace instead of brewing. Will have to push the pilsner until next weekend

Good call. Plenty of beer left to be brewed.
Jon H.