Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer for Thought...  (Read 6215 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Beer for Thought...
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 04:01:30 pm »
In all seriousness, I find this place like home unlike the other forums. While I've never met any of the regular and frequent members of this forum I've exchanged many pms and have recievd great answers to my questions. I also feel as though I've helped a few along the way as well.

Its a friendly place with friendly people, members sign their names sometimes and you don't get belittled. Threads can get derailed sometimes but its all in fun and you're not threatened for doing so or made to feel like an idiot if you don't know something.

I'm not saying the other forums don't bring value, its just that this one is a more friendly place overall!

as it should be....
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 05:09:16 pm »
I want you to look in that mirror, and I want you to repeat after me: "I am a worthy human being."
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 07:47:29 pm »
I love this forum.  Even if I get kind of short at times I try to keep it constructive.  This forum, The Brewing Network podcasts and Basic Brewing Radio have been to biggest factors in making good beer. 
Brian
mobrewer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 07:58:36 pm »
TL;DR

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2015, 08:07:26 pm »

I love this forum.  Even if I get kind of short at times I try to keep it constructive.  This forum, The Brewing Network podcasts and Basic Brewing Radio have been to biggest factors in making good beer.
It really is overwhelmingly positive...enough so to suppress most of the bs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 08:52:18 pm »
The potential for uncivil responses rises for users that have avatars that are not attached to their actual identity. I've suggested that users be a little more open and put "themselves" out there personally so that your fellow user gets to know you and who you are. All it takes is a little extra info on your signature line.

Take responsibility for being a civil member of this forum.
I think most avatars speak somewhat to the actual identity of the owner, whether they are personal pictures or otherwise. 

At any rate, good topic Ken.  We all need to keep ourselves in check now and then.  I also try to keep in mind that even if something comes off as offensive or snarky, the poster may have meant no ill intent.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 01:07:04 am »
The potential for uncivil responses rises for users that have avatars that are not attached to their actual identity. I've suggested that users be a little more open and put "themselves" out there personally so that your fellow user gets to know you and who you are. All it takes is a little extra info on your signature line.

I think most avatars speak somewhat to the actual identity of the owner, whether they are personal pictures or otherwise. 

At any rate, good topic Ken.  We all need to keep ourselves in check now and then.  I also try to keep in mind that even if something comes off as offensive or snarky, the poster may have meant no ill intent.

1% out of 99% just don't get it and probably lack the maturity and have the same ego issues outside the forums also...its just their nature.
Unfortunate, yet a reality.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:20:01 am by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 04:34:51 am »
My biggest pet peeve is "this has been asked before...search the forum before asking the same question again"  While it is good advice, sometimes the search functions don't provide the results you are looking for.

And it truly hate the "LMGTFY" posts...You go to all the effort to type the search into this website, then post the link on a forum to basically call people lazy.

Bottom line:  Rule #1 of the Brewer's Code - Don't be a dick!
Huh, I thought rule #1 of the brewer's code was Don't talk about the brewer's code.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 04:46:36 am »

Just think of in terms of 'truth in advertising'.  I could post a picture of myself and in reality, it tells you nothing, especially as small as these pictures are.  I use an image of Joe Btfsplk for my avatar and maybe you realize that it just might be harder for me to make drinkable beer than it is for you.  Of course, I could also use Pig from Pearls Before Swine if I wanted to make a comment on my general intelligence.  To accurately show my personality, I'd have to use Rat from the same comic strip. ;D
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2015, 08:12:08 am »
I have followed several homebrew forums and agree that a couple of them to have some snobs, put politely. One refers to Asshats and has a few "snobs", but will remain nameless. I'm a Boomer and being older and maybe wiser don't have time for dumb shi# . That is why I like this forum and I also go to Northern Brewer forum. I can read threads I'm interested in and comment on them with mature people. As for searching for answers I don't always get the info I'm looking for, besides I've never taken a typing class and am not that good on the computer. This is also why I can't get a Avatar the right size to use. Some people don't comprehend written answers, not me but some friends, they must be shown or talked through the process. That's my two cents, thanks AHA forum and members for a quality place to enjoy my hobby.   
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 08:19:19 am »

Just think of in terms of 'truth in advertising'.  I could post a picture of myself and in reality, it tells you nothing, especially as small as these pictures are.  I use an image of Joe Btfsplk for my avatar and maybe you realize that it just might be harder for me to make drinkable beer than it is for you.  Of course, I could also use Pig from Pearls Before Swine if I wanted to make a comment on my general intelligence.  To accurately show my personality, I'd have to use Rat from the same comic strip. ;D
I don't have a problem with avatars, but I do think that having your name in your signature really helps with the atmosphere here. This forum is more like a big homebrew club than anything else. At the very least, knowing everyone's name keeps it more human and helps with the camaraderie.

I think it doesn't take long for newbies around here to learn the ropes and understand that things work differently on this forum. We typically have pay a lot more attention to the newbie asking a lot of questions that we've answered every few months, than the blowhard troublemaker looking for attention. There's nothing wrong with being opinionated as long as you keep it civil.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 08:32:26 am »
If only Tapatalk showed signatures! 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 09:09:07 am »
I don't care too much about a picture but do like a name and where they live.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 09:26:18 am »
I have followed several homebrew forums and agree that a couple of them to have some snobs, put politely. One refers to Asshats and has a few "snobs", but will remain nameless. I'm a Boomer and being older and maybe wiser don't have time for dumb shi# . That is why I like this forum and I also go to Northern Brewer forum. I can read threads I'm interested in and comment on them with mature people. As for searching for answers I don't always get the info I'm looking for, besides I've never taken a typing class and am not that good on the computer. This is also why I can't get a Avatar the right size to use. Some people don't comprehend written answers, not me but some friends, they must be shown or talked through the process. That's my two cents, thanks AHA forum and members for a quality place to enjoy my hobby.   

Here is a simple, easy to use tool that may help.  http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ .

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:04 am »

Here is a simple, easy to use tool that may help.  http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ .

Paul
Well how nice and helpful was that! See what we mean?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.