Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2015 First Round Results  (Read 20986 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: NHC 2015 First Round Results
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2015, 11:20:58 am »
I see they've posted, but I don't see any results on the brewing competition website.
Yeah no scoresheets or scores yet... Just if you won or not.

Yeah. I figured it out after I posted.

Coffee stout advancing.  3rd place in Chicago.

It was the best of my submissions, if I must admit that.

Woo hoo!!

I judged those, and the mini-BOS of those.  When you get your scoresheets back, my name is probably on there.  We didn't do scoresheets for the mini-BOS but I did judge that category in the 1,2,3 placements.  So even if yours wasn't in my flight, I obviously liked your beer!

Cool!  I'll definitely be checking the score sheets closely.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2015, 12:36:02 pm »
I just keep waiting to see an email saying Zanesville results have fallen into shadow.
Macon, GA

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2015, 01:09:41 pm »
Got my Rum oaked Barleywine through. Meads were not handled in the best way in Chicago, IMO. Lots of folks without mead experience judging meads. For Traditionals, it's particularly troublesome because they aren't easy to judge. Can't wait to see my scoresheets and get upset again...
Brian Eichhorn -BJCP #C0839
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2015, 02:24:38 pm »
Got my Rum oaked Barleywine through. Meads were not handled in the best way in Chicago, IMO. Lots of folks without mead experience judging meads. For Traditionals, it's particularly troublesome because they aren't easy to judge. Can't wait to see my scoresheets and get upset again...

Congrats on the Rum BW! Sounds delicious. It could be worse...you could still be waiting on San Diego results like me. :'(

I'd like to see some changes to how meads and ciders are handled at NHC, either having them as a separate competition from beer or limiting mead/cider judging to 3-4 regions to condense the entries. It really isn't fair with some regions not even having 3 meads/ciders in a category and then some having 10+.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2015, 08:51:10 pm »

Congrats on the Rum BW! Sounds delicious. It could be worse...you could still be waiting on San Diego results like me. :'(

I'd like to see some changes to how meads and ciders are handled at NHC, either having them as a separate competition from beer or limiting mead/cider judging to 3-4 regions to condense the entries. It really isn't fair with some regions not even having 3 meads/ciders in a category and then some having 10+.
o
I hear you, but what happens if the 3 in one region are better than the top ones from the region with 10 entries...you just never know.  I don't know how they can correct for that.  I have had a lager beer get a 43 but not advance in a large competition because the competition is so stiff ...just saying.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2015, 09:20:42 am »

o
I hear you, but what happens if the 3 in one region are better than the top ones from the region with 10 entries...you just never know.  I don't know how they can correct for that.  I have had a lager beer get a 43 but not advance in a large competition because the competition is so stiff ...just saying.

Actually, Dennis's idea is a great one. I like the idea of having them sent to a region that actually has the personnel to do a good job judging them. Even if the 3 in one region are better than the top ones in another region, it doesn't matter that much. We're just trying to get to the top 3 at the second round, right? So long as the 3 best make it there, then it's all good. The bigger issue is when there are 2 in a region and they both advance. It makes the person that placed 4th or 5th at a bigger region feel screwed. At any rate, I'd like to see highly qualified lead judges in each pair, particularly for outlier categories like meads and ciders. The biggest issue is that the best qualified folks in a lot of regions also happen to have entries, thus disqualifying themselves. This wouldn't be an issue if they entered in a non-local regional, but that's the gamble I guess. Consolidating the meads and ciders would add some layer of validity to the first round, I think.
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2015, 12:11:34 pm »
Zanesville is posted, one site left.
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline threefrenchs

• 1st Kit
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2015, 12:36:17 pm »
Come on San Diego, you can do it.  Post today

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2015, 12:41:09 pm »
struck out.  I still can't believe San Diego isn't posted.  That's really lame.
Macon, GA

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2015, 12:47:38 pm »
Just got my sheets.  Once again, the beers I filled off the tap got infected.  I guess I need to learn my lesson this time.  Two years in a row I lost 3 beers!   >:(

At least my Steam Beer got through which was the only one I bottled from the start.   :)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2015, 01:07:59 pm »
Just got my sheets.  Once again, the beers I filled off the tap got infected.  I guess I need to learn my lesson this time.  Two years in a row I lost 3 beers!   >:(

At least my Steam Beer got through which was the only one I bottled from the start.   :)

Dave

Hmmm... Time to check what you're doing when you bottle off the tap.  I sanitize EVERYTHING and use a new picnic tap if I'm bottling for competition.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2015, 01:10:46 pm »

Dave

Hmmm... Time to check what you're doing when you bottle off the tap.  I sanitize EVERYTHING and use a new picnic tap if I'm bottling for competition.

I only spayed the Perlik inside and out with StarSan.  I need a better process for sure.  Next year I clean the lines and tap and flush with sanitizer. 
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2015, 01:22:13 pm »
I am quite bummed as my Nut Brown Ale is probably my crown jewel brew.  I'd like to see it judged further than my friends killing the keg the day I put it on....
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »
I am quite bummed as my Nut Brown Ale is probably my crown jewel brew.  I'd like to see it judged further than my friends killing the keg the day I put it on....

That sucks, Dave. Better luck next year.
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2015, 01:48:30 pm »
Yeah I've never had any luck even with cleaning and sanitizing my lines bottling off of the tap.  It's fine for filling a growler or something but not for something you're going to bottle and submit to a competition.  I would do as suggested and either get a picnic tap line that you dedicate to be your 'bottler' or get an actual bottler.. I think you'll be happier with your results.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"