Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 18118 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 09:19:32 pm »
A homemade pizza tonight, with a bottle of Pliny.

Nice

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 07:20:22 am »
Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. Quite possibly the best you can get!
:-X :-X :-X
Not a fan, Nic?
Oh, it was alright, and I've no great intention to set alight the raging fires of the BBQ WARS, but OK Joes did not impress me...I would have found it not so bad except for the wealth of praise and adulation heaped upon it by some Kansan relatives.  The ribs I had were OK, the fries were sodium delivery sticks (I like a salty fry, but holy crap, those things were desicating my insides!), and the sauces (tried the normal and the spicy) just weren't my favorite...beans weren't my style either.  The place was packed and it took us an hour to get served...again, it was more the vast discrepancy between reputation/expectations, and the actual food that struck me.  Personally I'm an LC's kinda guy, which is right down the road from me, and Gates sauce is my favorite.  Also like Jack Stack.  My first job was at a small BBQ place in east KC that is no longer there, but they had awesome beans and sausage.  But that's the great thing about BBQ, everybody has different favorites...I don't mean to be too negative, anybody serving smoked meats gets respect from me...man, criticizing somebody's favorite BBQ place feels like insulting their momma or something, no offense man!  In fairness they aren't the bottom of the barrel in KC BBQ by any stretch.  I just thought it was weird how widespread love for OK Joes is...maybe its a Kansan thing (I'm MO side)?

brewboy

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 07:32:33 am »
If you want good barbecue, go to Angelo's, just north of downtown Ft Worth.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 07:49:26 am »
Last night, Roast Beef (w/potatoes, onions, mushrooms and garlic) from the crock pot, brown rice from the rice cooker and steamed broccoli. And a half pint of my Saison.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 08:14:43 am »
Last night, Roast Beef (w/potatoes, onions, mushrooms and garlic) from the crock pot

Don't let cappozoli hear about that!!   :o   ;)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 08:17:35 am »
Last night, Roast Beef (w/potatoes, onions, mushrooms and garlic) from the crock pot

:D..crock pot AND a rice cooker...you are in for in now buddy  ;)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 01:48:19 pm »
A mix of turnip, collard, rape and mustard greens fresh out of the garden boiled w/smoked ham hock.

1/2 white beans & 1/2 pinto beans cooked in the pressure cooker with another smoked ham hock.

Pickled okra.

Cornbread to soak up the pot likker.

Recliner until Mrs. Tubercle wakes me up and makes me go to bed.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 02:17:07 pm »
Funny, that's what mama's cookin' tonight too. Beans and cornbread. Except 100% pintos and no greens.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 04:06:10 pm »

OK, I'll bite - what's wrong with a crock pot?  :-\
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 05:51:19 pm »
Hey, its like this. Cooking is like brewing, if it works for you and you are happy with the results then it is great.

For example: I am an extract brewer. I have not yet found the time to go to AG. Extract works for me. I can make a few batches of ale and cider, stock them away in the basement and it will last. It works for me. Is it the best way to brew so to reach a consistent level of quality that I want to achieve? no. For now it has to do.

I personally don't like crock pots and if ever editing your kitchen appliance I would recommend loosing the crock pot and upgrading, go to "AG" so to speak.

My argument is; why cook a piece of meat for eight hours until it is completely dried out stringy and over cooked? The meat loses it flavor. I have never had an outstanding meal made in a crock pot. I wont say it was bad just 'OK'. So' many people have tried to convince me by serving me their special dish made in a crock pot and I am never impressed. Just turns it to mush.

The argument on the other side is that you can start dinner in the morning and have it ready when you get home. I personally dont see the convenience cause I can do the same job in a pressure cooker in a tiny fraction of the time and energy consumption. I could prepare the ingredients in the AM get home from work put them in the pressure cooker and have the tough , beef pork, venison tender and ready to eat in under an hou, small enough pieces in a half hour. With a little practice and the pressure cooker you can make great stuff, whole dry beans, tough pieces of meat, (whatever) and with no fuss it comes out delicious and perfectly cooked in very, very little time.

Dutch oven works the same too.

Its like nonstick pans, I just dont need it.

But if it is working for you it is just fine. Nothing wrong with a crock pot. Works great keeping your meatballs and sauce warm on the table.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:55:34 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 07:12:00 pm »
I agree cap that the crock pot doesn't put forth the A quality meal but it sure is convenient.  I don't have a pressure cooker and even if I did my wife and son get home well before I do and I wouldn't have the time to do up a nice roast, for example, for dinner on a regular weekday night.  I just made a roast in the crock pot yesterday.  Spent about 20 minutes in the morning seasoning and searing the roast, popped it in the crock pot with the necessary spices and veggies, and bam, when we walk in the door we have something resembling a home cooked meal.  Otherwise, with our schedule it ends up being microwaved chicken nuggets and mixed vegetables.

Anyway, for dinner tonight:  Roasted breaded porkchops

1 - 1/2 inch chops with the bone in
Take 2 slices of white bread and a shallot roughly chopped and throw them in the food processor
Add finely chopped Parmesan cheese and dried parsley along with a couple teaspoons of olive oil
Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for maybe 4 minutes.  Do not overbake.

Wash chops, pat dry, rub all over with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  Coat with dijon mustard as the wetting agent (don't be shy, slather that stuff on there) and then coat with the prepared breadcrumbs.  Back into the oven for about an hour at 350.  Pure heaven.  I'm very sated right now.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 07:58:38 pm »

Its like nonstick pans, I just dont need it.

Back to this eh? :D
What about Italian Beef, chilli, pulled pork, corned beef and cabbage, oatmeal, and then there's the stews.
You just can't do everything in life "AG".

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 09:01:48 pm »
OMG, you are not cooking your corn beef and cabbage in a crock pot are you?

Dude, you are going to hell.

J/k

Funny you bring up chili.

I can put all of the ingredients for chili, including dry beans that have not been soaked into the pressure cooker and a half hour later it is done. Dry beans man, the same beans you have to soak overnight and cook in the crock pot for six hours.

I love my pressure cooker!!!

They are not expensive if you shop around and once you use one there is no going without one ever again.

But comparing it to AG. I will one day brew AG. I just have to build my Brutus system then I can expedite my AG brewing so it will fit into my schedule. So like tygo said. If you dont have a pressure cooker and you dont have time before to cook then what choice do you have.

My only argument is there is a better way and it wont take a bite out of your time if you have the tools.

Just spreading the good word.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 09:42:33 pm »
I will one day brew AG. I just have to build my Brutus system then I can expedite my AG brewing so it will fit into my schedule. My only argument is there is a better way and it wont take a bite out of your time if you have the tools.

Just spreading the good word.

Can I get an Amen...

When are we going to build those Brutus Stands?
Ron Price

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 10:06:48 pm »
I can put all of the ingredients for chili, including dry beans that have not been soaked into the pressure cooker and a half hour later it is done. Dry beans man, the same beans you have to soak overnight and cook in the crock pot for six hours.

I love my pressure cooker!!!

care to drop this process and recipe in the recipes forum?  I have a pressure cooker - bought it this year to do some canning from the garden.  But we consumed most of what grew except just 2 or 3 weeks when we passed on to others.  It want a bumper year for us.

Anyway, I have only used it once - did a venison roast and way overdid it at 10pounds for an hour and 15 minutes.  it was overcooked but very moist.  A touch on the stringy side so I shredded it and froze for tamales .. which I haven't made yet. 

I am totally green on the pressure cooker.  would love to do some chili in it.  can you post this recipe?