Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I like the Brewing Network, but....  (Read 45165 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: I like the Brewing Network, but....
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2015, 05:55:29 am »
The NHC COTY is based on blind judging of the beers a club brews.

You mean that it is based on something that is as silly as brewing as a competitive sport.  This thread has only strengthened my belief that the National Homebrew Conference and the National Homebrew Competition need to be separate events like the Craft Brewers Conference and the Great American Beer Festival.  The National Homebrew Competition is too divisive.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2015, 07:18:20 am »
Quote from: slobrewer pink=topic=23504.msg300425#msg300425 date=1434647807
The NHC COTY is based on blind judging of the beers a club brews.

You mean that it is based on something that is as silly as brewing as a competitive sport.  This thread has only strengthened my belief that the National Homebrew Conference and the National Homebrew Competition need to be separate events like the Craft Brewers Conference and the Great American Beer Festival.  The National Homebrew Competition is too divisive.

Would be interested in your suggestions on how to get 200 judges of high avg rank together without the conference. And if you don't think it is important to entrants that they get good judges, you are fooling yourself.

Also, your example is poor. The CBC holds the World Beer Cup every other year.

I think not having a competition to determine the best beers is "silly" and I'm not exactly alone am I? If you're not interested in it, if the concept is so silly to you, why waste your time in this thread?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2015, 07:36:41 am »

Is it really that divisive? This thread is about the least important award in the whole competition and the thread has been extremely civil over a necessarily competitive subject. I've seen fellow lawyers have more vicious discussions over the use of one or two spaces after the end of a sentence.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2015, 10:02:21 am »
Not a lawyer, but two spaces is where it's at, no matter what HTML may have taught us.

Also: Oxford comma for life.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2015, 10:06:21 am »
So, apparently I didn't realize that clubs get points toward COTY for every entry submitted regardless of score.

So is this your way of saying that it takes a good beer to win a medal, no matter how many are entered?
That's what I was thinking but then it seemed like someone indicated that total entries counted. I'm way confused I guess.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2015, 10:13:29 am »

Not a lawyer, but two spaces is where it's at, no matter what HTML may have taught us.

From typing class I was told that two spaces after a period should have died out after the creation of fonts with proportional spacing. Characters in monospaced fonts have identical widths, so a " W " takes the same amount of space as a " . " . The two spaces after period rule was intended to make reading comprehension easier and dates back to the type writer. Moveable type in printing had proportional spacing, but this wasn't possible with early typewriters.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2015, 10:36:45 am »

From typing class I was told that two spaces after a period should have died out after the creation of fonts with proportional spacing. Characters in monospaced fonts have identical widths, so a " W " takes the same amount of space as a " . " . The two spaces after period rule was intended to make reading comprehension easier and dates back to the type writer. Moveable type in printing had proportional spacing, but this wasn't possible with early typewriters.
Good to know

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2015, 10:43:49 am »
Two spaces still looks neater on printed pages. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2015, 10:55:19 am »
Back on topic. One way to change the rules is to make the first round points per ribbon worth less than the second round medal. Anyone here that values, no, lusts after a second round medal? I can say that it is easier to ribbon in the first round than medal in the second round. I always sctratched my head at the current point set up.

From the rules page.
Homebrew Club of the Year will be awarded to the club that accumulates the most total points in all categories of beer, mead and cider in the First and Final Rounds. In both the First and Final Rounds, six points are awarded for a first place, four points for a second place and two points for a third place. In the First Round, a club may only receive points for a maximum of three awards per category, the highest three awards shall be counted, not to exceed a 12-point maximum. For your club to receive points the club must be registered with the AHA and you must have included the club name when you registered your entries online. Please check the AHA Club Directory to be sure your club’s AHA registration is up to date.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:16 am »
Back on topic. One way to change the rules is to make the first round points per ribbon worth less than the second round medal. Anyone here that values, no, lusts after a second round medal? I can say that it is easier to ribbon in the first round than medal in the second round. I always sctratched my head at the current point set up.

From the rules page.
Homebrew Club of the Year will be awarded to the club that accumulates the most total points in all categories of beer, mead and cider in the First and Final Rounds. In both the First and Final Rounds, six points are awarded for a first place, four points for a second place and two points for a third place. In the First Round, a club may only receive points for a maximum of three awards per category, the highest three awards shall be counted, not to exceed a 12-point maximum. For your club to receive points the club must be registered with the AHA and you must have included the club name when you registered your entries online. Please check the AHA Club Directory to be sure your club’s AHA registration is up to date.

That seems like a logical, fair place to start.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2015, 11:03:17 am »

From the rules page.

I had to go to the basement and check my memory. 8 first round ribbons to 2 medals.
The medals get mentioned in conversations, the ribbons not so much.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2015, 11:08:46 am »
To me it seems that a 'circuit' type system would make more sense (a club that consistently has award winning brewers in multiple comps would seem to be more 'deserving' than a club that targets one comp), although I suppose that could be gamed the same way.  Our state circuit looks like it may fall victim to that sort of thing.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2015, 11:30:40 am »

From the rules page.

I had to go to the basement and check my memory. 8 first round ribbons to 2 medals.
The medals get mentioned in conversations, the ribbons not so much.

yeah.  I am near universally confident the medal winners are good.  I don't have the same feeling about all the first round ribbons.  A few categories sometimes don't even have 3 entries. I haven't yet seen a first round region that approaches the quality of a decent sized regional comp like KCBM or Hoppy Halloween.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2015, 11:49:19 am »
I'm with Jeff on this one, rewarding the final round winners more heavily than the first round.  Over 20 years I have had many wins in the first round, but only 2 final round medals.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2015, 12:07:22 pm »
To me it seems that a 'circuit' type system would make more sense (a club that consistently has award winning brewers in multiple comps would seem to be more 'deserving' than a club that targets one comp), although I suppose that could be gamed the same way.  Our state circuit looks like it may fall victim to that sort of thing.
Only problem is I don't think any of the clubs that win at NHC are just targeting that comp.  I see the Brewing Network entered as a club in most of the competitions I enter.  And most of these comps pull entries from all around the country (KCBM, MidWinter, Mashout, etc.).   So if the BN enters comps all year and wins, will the complaining stop if the win COTY again...doubt it.

P.S. Notice the double space after each period  8)

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------