Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Promash Status  (Read 10858 times)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: Promash Status
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 12:15:51 pm »
The touch mouse features may not be supported on an older application. If I recall properly - the touch screen support requires an additional library. It is also likely that it will need some additional work before it will compile correctly.

In Windows 10, you could try to run it in compatibility mode. Right click on the executable and select the options to run it in whatever 'mode' necessary. The emulation may slow it down a bit, but the modern computer speeds probably more than make up that emulation. And most likely only support keyboard and mouse functions.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 12:38:17 pm »
I am running Promash on a W10 desktop with zero problems.
Concord, NC

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 01:19:56 pm »
How did you get it to install? W10 refuses to do anything with the install file. Do I just need to copy and paste the files out of my other working installations onto the W10 drive?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 01:32:19 pm »
How did you get it to install? W10 refuses to do anything with the install file. Do I just need to copy and paste the files out of my other working installations onto the W10 drive?

Yeah, copy and paste works fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 10:53:08 pm »
slight detour...

As a somewhat selfish/biased computery brewer/person, what has you tied to promash that other pieces of software don't do or don't do as well?

I'm working on an article that compares all the more popular pieces of software to get a running list of features and issues that people run into.

Like I said a page or two ago, I tried to use promash but it was too clunky and felt super out of date. The user interface was extremely annoying to me, and some default options (boil off rate for one, pet peeve) just didn't make sense at all with modern brewing knowledge.

I feel that something so out of date, and with how much progress has been made with modern techniques and information, that it cannot possibly be a superior product when compared to the more supported/updated options:
Beersmith, or the myriad of online alternatives like brewers friend, brewtoad, mine, or even homebrewhedonist.

ATM I use a rather eclectic list of software/spreadsheets/calculators.
Bru'n water for water chemistry/ph.
Mine for water volumes, temps, and efficiency estimations.*
Beersmith for recipe formulation/scaling of recipes for my small batches (usually do .75-2G now)
Brewunited for yeast starters (looking forward to the one being worked on by omega yeast labs!)

*working on recipe formulation and a modification of the Tinseth formula which will incorporate iso acid solubility (from someone's master thesis) and instantaneous wort gravity instead of average (idea I had and emailed Tinseth about, math seems to check out so far but still testing)

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2015, 05:34:00 am »

I was running on a Windows 7 machine and did the free upgrade. Still works just fine.
Concord, NC

narvin

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 11:13:39 am »
slight detour...

As a somewhat selfish/biased computery brewer/person, what has you tied to promash that other pieces of software don't do or don't do as well?

I'm working on an article that compares all the more popular pieces of software to get a running list of features and issues that people run into.

Like I said a page or two ago, I tried to use promash but it was too clunky and felt super out of date. The user interface was extremely annoying to me, and some default options (boil off rate for one, pet peeve) just didn't make sense at all with modern brewing knowledge.

I feel that something so out of date, and with how much progress has been made with modern techniques and information, that it cannot possibly be a superior product when compared to the more supported/updated options:
Beersmith, or the myriad of online alternatives like brewers friend, brewtoad, mine, or even homebrewhedonist.

ATM I use a rather eclectic list of software/spreadsheets/calculators.
Bru'n water for water chemistry/ph.
Mine for water volumes, temps, and efficiency estimations.*
Beersmith for recipe formulation/scaling of recipes for my small batches (usually do .75-2G now)
Brewunited for yeast starters (looking forward to the one being worked on by omega yeast labs!)

*working on recipe formulation and a modification of the Tinseth formula which will incorporate iso acid solubility (from someone's master thesis) and instantaneous wort gravity instead of average (idea I had and emailed Tinseth about, math seems to check out so far but still testing)

I use promash for recipe formation because that's what I need it to do.  Not give false predictions for FG, try to calculate batch sparges or anything else.  Like you I use water spreadsheets and yeast growth calculators  as well, but by not relying too much on brewing software I think I've learned more than I would have otherwise.

Plus, I think beersmith is cluttered and full of useless stuff.  I'd probably use brewers friend if I wanted to switch.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 04:27:31 pm »
^^^I agree with that. I don't use Promash right now but I have checked it out. I also tried both versions of Beersmith and it wasn't really my thing either. What I use now is a copy of Brewmate before it got sold off and switched up to Brewersfriend. Not the online version, the software based program. It does exactly what I need it to do, calculate recipes for me. I actually like to do a some of the figures on my own like my water volumes, sparge water needed...etc.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 02:00:11 am »
Another vote for Brewer's Friend here! Web based and accurate. Plus, I sent them an email requesting they add a feature to the hopping module in the recipe builder. They replied and liked the idea. So before too long we should be able to enter IBU for a certain hop charge and it will calculate how many grams/oz needed to hit that IBU for that charge. Right now you enter variety, change AA% if you need to, minutes in the boil, and it tells you how many IBU from that. This new option you could also enter variety, AA%, and boil time and the software will tell you how many oz/gms. Should be helpful for stuff like heavily wirlpooled recipes where you know you want X amount bitterness from the 60min... I know you can do it now by repeatedly editing the amount till you hit the IBU you want. This will be just a little more streamlined.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2015, 09:55:20 am »

I was running on a Windows 7 machine and did the free upgrade. Still works just fine.
Works for me on the win10 OS, just cant acces the help files. I tried copying them from an older machine but no luck.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2015, 09:58:35 am »
Works for me on the win10 OS, just cant acces the help files. I tried copying them from an older machine but no luck.

IIRC, if you replace the Win10 winhelp file with an older version, you can use the help files.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2015, 05:15:41 am »

Hmmm just noticed that the help files don't work. I guess I have been using it so long I haven't accessed the help files so didn't notice they didn't work.
Concord, NC

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2015, 07:00:15 am »
I just reviewed the corporate status of Sausalito Brewing Co on the California corporation search. It's out of business or hasn't paid the incorporation fee.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

RPIScotty

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 01:43:05 pm »
What's the best way to get the help files to work? I just installed v1.8a on W10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 02:12:52 pm »
What's the best way to get the help files to work? I just installed v1.8a on W10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC rename the current Win10 winhelp file to something else, then copy in an older one.

www.dennybrew.com