Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grains that you don't crush  (Read 2254 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Grains that you don't crush
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:09:15 am »
As an all grain brewer, are there any grains that you wouldn't crush for the mash?

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Grains that you don't crush
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:12:44 am »
I typically do not crush any flaked grains (oats, maize, wheat) and just add them to the mash directly being sure to stir them in well. 

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 07:34:50 am »
i have always ask myself why i am crushing my flaked grains separately just to break them up.  I guess my thought was that it helps with keeping the grain bed somewhat uniform and aid in lautering but maybe not. Funny the things we do sometimes just because:)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 07:36:18 am »
I typically do not crush any flaked grains (oats, maize, wheat) and just add them to the mash directly being sure to stir them in well. 

+1
Jon H.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 07:48:28 am »

+1
+another, adding rice hulls.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 10:12:05 am »
Greg Noonan, RIP, proposed in Brewing Lager Beer that roasted grains and malts not be crushed to reduce their astringency.  This of course reduces the amount of flavor extracted.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 10:57:44 am »
Greg Noonan, RIP, proposed in Brewing Lager Beer that roasted grains and malts not be crushed to reduce their astringency.  This of course reduces the amount of flavor extracted.

OTOH, when he made that recommendation there was not as much attention to water chemistry as there is today.  Just because a book had good advice 20+ years ago doesn't necessarily mean that advice is still relevant.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 11:11:50 am »

And most notably, color. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 11:12:07 am »
OTOH, when he made that recommendation there was not as much attention to water chemistry as there is today.  Just because a book had good advice 20+ years ago doesn't necessarily mean that advice is still relevant.

Yep.  I mash roasted grains now while controlling pH and make better beer than when I steeped those grains and didn't control pH very well -  by a mile.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 03:14:32 pm »

Yep.  I mash roasted grains now while controlling pH and make better beer than when I steeped those grains and didn't control pH very well -  by a mile.

+1
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 04:13:20 am »
I could not imagine not crushing malt for any reason and do not remember that from Greg's book. Back in "the day" New Brewing Lager Beer" was the most authoritative book on brewing that I was aware of but it has grown long in the tooth indeed. Still a very good resource for reading a malt spec sheet though. better I feel than the new "Malt" book.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 08:03:00 am »

What Noonan suggested and the current fad of cold steeping roasted grain isn't that far apart. Just two ways to try to avoid astringency without having to deal so carefully with water chemistry.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline lunitick1976@hotmail.com

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 08:14:03 pm »
I just add everything into a bucket and run it all through my mill. Never really thought about it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 06:32:16 am »
I just add everything into a bucket and run it all through my mill. Never really thought about it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

^ This is what I do as well.
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 09:31:16 pm »
No sense in running anything flaked through the mill.  Just add it afterward in the mash as the crushed grain is stirred in.  Otherwise you better consider some rice hulls....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"