Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Commission brew/Blue Moon style beer  (Read 4745 times)

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Commission brew/Blue Moon style beer
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 11:22:38 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone and after hearing what you guys have to say I think I will make a few little changes. After looking more into the sweet orange peel I think I am going to drop that. That being said do you think the orange flavor/aroma will come through enough with just the zest added to the boil? Would anyone add more zest to the secondary?

I made a very similar beer (50% wheat, 43% 2 row and 7% honey malt [which was too much, I'd use 3% and up the 2 row when I do this again]). I really liked the honey malt and enhanced the sweetness.

I single hopped using German Mandarina hops (mostly at 5 and 0). I definitely got a hint of the orange but there could have been more.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 11:32:04 am »
In my American Wheat, I used about an oz of orange zest at the end of the boil. That is usually about 5 oranges.

I see a lot of recipes with zest from 1 orange. Maybe my threshold for zest is super high since I using 5 times as much a most recipes...

Well the only reason I choose this amount is because I have never used zest or anything similar in a beer before. I might end up increasing the zest next time but for now I am being conservative.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 11:51:01 am »
Zest of 5 oranges seems like way way way too much for a standard witbier.  To each his own.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 10:00:46 pm »
Just an update on how this turned out... the final product was OK and very drinkable but not what I was looking for. I have never brewed a Belgian and have only had a few commercial examples but I did not favor this yeast. I kept it right around 64 to 66F and the yeast was dominated by like a sweet bubblegum flavor. It was alright to drink but I could not have more than a couple other than that everything else seemed on par. If I were to do again I would switch to a more neutral yeast and play with the spices and additions a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 06:28:46 am »
I'm sorry to hear that the bubblegum overpowered.  Did you make a yeast starter?  Sometimes a small thing like that can make all the difference.  I'd use a starter.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 09:57:43 pm »
Well to be honest I have never used a yeast starter... I know that sounds crazy but I have never brewed a big ABV beer that I think would need one. I know its probably safer to make one but I have good brews without using them. This winter I plan starting to use them for some bigger beer. As far as this brew what do you think could have caused this? Could be just my untrained tongue with an unfamiliar yeast but who knows. After talking with a few people who tried it they did not find it sweet but tangy.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 05:21:01 am »
No starter will ABSOLUTELY give you some extra flavors such as bubblegum, especially with a Belgian yeast like this one.  You need to make a starter for the cleanest flavors.  If you want a lot of yeast character, then you can skip it.  If not, starter.
Dave

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 05:58:48 am »
Flaked wheat will help guarantee cloudiness like the real Blue Moon has.

I'd drop the sweet orange peel.  It will only add bitterness.  The zest is a good idea though as it will add actual flavor and aroma, especially if you reserved it for bottling time instead of the boil.

Perhaps this depends on where you get your sweet orange peel. The times I have used sweet orange peel I have gotten negligible bitterness but nice orange flavor. I do agree that it can have s scary amount of pith, but I just haven't ever gotten a lot of bitterness from it. And I have used it for several beers.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 06:09:30 am »
Flaked wheat will help guarantee cloudiness like the real Blue Moon has.

I'd drop the sweet orange peel.  It will only add bitterness.  The zest is a good idea though as it will add actual flavor and aroma, especially if you reserved it for bottling time instead of the boil.

Perhaps this depends on where you get your sweet orange peel. The times I have used sweet orange peel I have gotten negligible bitterness but nice orange flavor. I do agree that it can have s scary amount of pith, but I just haven't ever gotten a lot of bitterness from it. And I have used it for several beers.
On that note, where do you suggest getting lime leaves for homebrew scale? How many for a 6 gallon batch to be noticed but not a leading role?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 06:19:53 am »
I get mine off Amazon. Some place in CA.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 08:46:25 am »
Asian grocery stores often carry lime leaves especially if they specialize in southeast Asian ingredients (as opposed to Japanese, Chinese or Korean). Some spice shops carry them. Not sure if you have access to either type of shop in your area.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 09:51:26 am »
Asian grocery stores often carry lime leaves especially if they specialize in southeast Asian ingredients (as opposed to Japanese, Chinese or Korean). Some spice shops carry them. Not sure if you have access to either type of shop in your area.

Yes, this is also another source we use when it is last minute.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 04:15:20 pm »
No, only mac-n-cheese stores in my area. But I'll keep it in mind when I head to the big city.

I enjoyed them in Keith's beer so much that this spring I'm going to try some in my saison
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:16:53 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 10:24:58 am »
How many (lime leaves) for a 6 gallon batch to be noticed but not a leading role?

Jim, this might be helpful.  The suggestion here is 3 grams for 5 gallons.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/blog/miscellany/2004/brewing-stone-040404-vertical-epic-ale-home

Edit: This method involves making a lime leaf "tea" and adding it to the fermenter, which I believe differs from Keith's method.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:42:19 am by brewday »

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 10:42:05 am »
SO my local brewmaster and instructor for beer/wine/spirits of the world at a local college argues that Blue Moon is a Hefeweizen not a Wit bier... any comments?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)