Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New German Only(Brewing) site and forum  (Read 86161 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: New German Only(Brewing) site and forum
« Reply #345 on: April 28, 2016, 06:13:29 pm »

Ha! This whole thing feels like buying a new car with awesome tires on it and taking them off and putting new similar tires back on, but in a special garage and in special way where it's believed the result is a better performing car rolling out after.

That trick only works Beemers.  :P

You know the difference between a Beemer and a porcupine, right?
Pricks on the inside!

Winner!
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #346 on: April 28, 2016, 06:49:46 pm »
Has anyone considered this whole thing may be a late April fools joke?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #347 on: April 28, 2016, 07:20:02 pm »
Yep. And another thing I'm struggling with has to do with the many, many pictures I've seen from German breweries with large copper tanks, yet it's now a no-no. Martin is pretty adamant that copper is needed to drive off sulfur, so the alternative is a sulfur bomb with great malt character? I know sulfur dissipates eventually, but still scratching my head there.

The good thing is that wort only needs minimal contact with metallic copper to achieve the desired result. I know that my system has more copper piping than I would prefer. For the past 6 months, I've been wondering if it is too much. This paper added to my doubts.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

narvin

« Reply #348 on: April 29, 2016, 07:08:21 am »
The mini mash test requires only SMB, mason jars, and maybe 2 hours of time.  I just ordered some SMB.  I’m going to give it a shot and post my results in a separate thread. 

NB flat rate shipping to CA is pretty slow, so I probably won’t be able to do it until the weekend after next.

Definitely doing the mini mash test.  No promises, but might beat you to it and of course will post results.  If you're holding off because you don't have SMB, plain old campden will work.  That's what I'll be using. 

So will you just be looking for an increased quality in wort malt aroma and flavor at this point?  Will you also be employing low DO methods for your preparations? You may very well stumble upon the "IT" factor.

The recipe pdf thing formatted like a scientific study actually says your mash will have less aroma because without oxidation, it can't escape.  Or something like that.  This part had me confused. 
Why does this confuse you? From what I understand, the idea is if it's not oxidizing, the malt aromas are not escaping the mash, thus you can't smell them.

Because it's pseudoscientific garbage.  You will get aroma either way.  It will just be a different aroma.  Oxidation is not the cause of aroma.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #349 on: April 29, 2016, 07:14:19 am »
Yep. And another thing I'm struggling with has to do with the many, many pictures I've seen from German breweries with large copper tanks, yet it's now a no-no. Martin is pretty adamant that copper is needed to drive off sulfur, so the alternative is a sulfur bomb with great malt character? I know sulfur dissipates eventually, but still scratching my head there.

The good thing is that wort only needs minimal contact with metallic copper to achieve the desired result. I know that my system has more copper piping than I would prefer. For the past 6 months, I've been wondering if it is too much. This paper added to my doubts.

Thanks, Martin. I think regardless I'll hang on to my copper IC as it's the one source of copper I use.
Jon H.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #350 on: April 29, 2016, 07:17:07 am »

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #351 on: April 29, 2016, 07:34:46 am »
Has anyone considered this whole thing may be a late April fools joke?
Yes, but it's a lot of effort for a joke on their part. It really does seem to me to have some merits. Whether it's worth it or not is for us to try for ourselves.
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #352 on: April 29, 2016, 08:21:28 am »
From the way back machine:

http://forums.morebeer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30377
I read about it on the old HBD back in the day. We do it if not forgotten. We have never used the dosage they are recommending, or boiled and dosed at that rate.

It was said that coriander can be an antioxidant. Not sure if I want to taste coriander in every beer.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2016, 09:05:36 am »
So, Marshall, Annie and I have been talking about ways to test the theory.  As part of that, Annie contacted a real, award winning German brewer...imagine that!  We're waiting for permission to release his name and the full text he sent us, but I can tell you it included frequent use of the phrase BS and concluded "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".  He made it clear that's NOT what happens in German breweries.

edited to add NOT.....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:09:14 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2016, 09:07:30 am »
So, Marshall, Annie and I have been talking about ways to test the theory.  As part of that, Annie contacted a real, award winning German brewer...imagine that!  We're waiting for permission to release his name and the full text he sent us, but I can tell you it included frequent use of the phrase BS and concluded "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".  He made it clear that's what happens in German breweries.

Fantastic !  I look forward to seeing the whole thing.

Edit for lack of spelling skills
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:42:01 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2016, 09:16:59 am »
Went to my local German specialty shop yesterday to buy some knockwurst and braunwurst. I asked if they had "it" that I could try. She suggested more sausage.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2016, 09:29:49 am »
So, Marshall, Annie and I have been talking about ways to test the theory.  As part of that, Annie contacted a real, award winning German brewer...imagine that!  We're waiting for permission to release his name and the full text he sent us, but I can tell you it included frequent use of the phrase BS and concluded "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".  He made it clear that's NOT what happens in German breweries.

edited to add NOT.....
If we're lucky he will not say "what happens in German breweries stays in German breweries."
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #357 on: April 29, 2016, 09:44:15 am »
Went to my local German specialty shop yesterday to buy some knockwurst and braunwurst. I asked if they had "it" that I could try. She suggested more sausage.
Now I'm hungry. Thanks a lot, DUDE.
Jesse

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #358 on: April 29, 2016, 10:35:24 am »
Shouldn't whether or not the process works be the only thing that matters?  What is the relevance of another brewer's opinion or how commercial breweries operate?

This should be tested the same way as everything else - brew the beer (following the instructions exactly as written with no shortcuts or substitutions) and set up a blind triangle test.

Given the zeal to prove these guys wrong, the best tasting panel would include people who aren't aware of the background and aren't biased against the GBF crew.

Edit - this is one my must see list. Several have said they make the best Pilsner they have had.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Museumsbrauerei_Schmitt

That is so cool; I never saw that page of the wiki before.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #359 on: April 29, 2016, 11:21:48 am »
Given the zeal to prove these guys wrong, the best tasting panel would include people who aren't aware of the background and aren't biased against the GBF crew.

I suspect that will be my role. I'm skeptical, but it's just a process.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison