Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ranco Controller  (Read 3815 times)

Offline mrdrysdale64

• Cellarman
    • Bay Area Mashtronauts
Ranco Controller
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:31:08 am »
Ok I have had another Ranco Controller crap out on me. I bought both about three years ago. The first one stopped working about this time last year. I replaced it with an analog controller. My first analog controller is at least 6 years old and works great.

Anyone else had issues with the Ranco controllers? Anyone know if they can be repaired?
Mike "Mr. Drysdale" White
Bay Area Mashtronauts

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
Re: Ranco Controller
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:51:02 am »
I've been using the same dual stage controller for 4 years....(knocking on wood)   ;)

They seem to be pretty hit or miss.  Not sure about repairing them, what is the problem you are experiencing with it?  Also, did you wire it yourself, or did it come wired?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:29:16 am »
I've been using the same dual stage controller for 4 years....(knocking on wood)   ;)

They seem to be pretty hit or miss.  Not sure about repairing them, what is the problem you are experiencing with it?  Also, did you wire it yourself, or did it come wired?

I have 4 of them, 2 of which I've had for ~5 years.  bought them prewired.

sorry to hear your bad luck man. 

the people at ranco seem pretty responsive, and I know of one case where they flat out replaced a friend's unit at no cost, no questions asked.  give their website a try.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:06:10 pm »
I've had the same two - dual stage rancho digital temp controls for 5 years now and they have not broken on me yet. That really sucks they broke down on you.  Any chance it's due to humidity. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 02:39:14 pm »
Is it the dreaded E2 error?. I've known several folks who have had this problem with their Ranco controllers. There is a discussion somewhere on the web about a fellow who does EPROM programming and trouble shooting and his impression was the Ranco digital processor was very sub-par.

Wish I could remember the link. Suffice to say, If it's an E2 error, chances are not good of resurrecting it.

Ahh . .found it.

http://avrinside.wordpress.com/2010/01/17/hello-world/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:44:36 pm by dhacker »
Just brew it...

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 04:35:40 pm »
I've had 3 for at least 5 years. One did the dreaded E whatever error. I shut it off and back on and it's been fine ever since.
Just call me lucky.
Brew on

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:45:15 pm »
I've read somewhere you can get around the E2 error by switching the temp scale to C if you're using F now.  The reverse should be true.

I have one Ranco Single temp that's been fine for 4 years.  Wired it myself for whatever that's worth.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline mrdrysdale64

• Cellarman
    • Bay Area Mashtronauts
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 08:20:16 am »
Wired myself and they worked fine for a while. The first one gets the E2 error and basically scrambles and resets to a +250F temperature. The second one has just died and has no power to it.

I'm not worrying about it; I have already switched to my analogs. I dont have time to jack with it.
Mike "Mr. Drysdale" White
Bay Area Mashtronauts