Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step Mash For Kolsch...  (Read 19815 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Step Mash For Kolsch...
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 04:24:32 pm »
I wonder if those receiving the award are honestly saying the same thing deep down inside.  ;)

Probably not, Dave. ;D  Having won a medal or two that surprised me on beers that I thought were 'pretty good', and having really good beers come up short just reinforces (to me anyway) that comps are unpredictable. Judges have varying experience, knowledge of a given style, and palate fatigue within a style. Judges - please understand that I mean no disrespect. 90% of the time I am harder on my own beers than any judge ever. The other 10% I chalk up to a tough category, and occasionally 'they missed a good one'. Stuff happens.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 04:26:03 pm »
I won a blue ribbon for a 32 pt Helles, so... ya, I'm an expert.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 04:58:46 am »
I had a Helles get a 45 from a pro and 42 from a National and not even place in the category...so it depends on the comp and the judges.  But Jim is an expert as far as I am concerned!  Just waiting for him to discover the "It" key for the rest of us, then we can all tie at the NHC finals.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

The Beerery

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 06:18:43 am »
Just waiting for him to discover the "It" key for the rest of us, then we can all tie at the NHC finals.

Good luck.  ;)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 03:02:56 pm »
I must admit your system is quite impressive - and back at you on the good wishes.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2016, 07:17:14 pm »
Now that makes me want to step mash my next Kolsch. Agreed and well put. I have friends suck down batches that I would rather dump. Going to be 63 here tomorrow. I might just step mash my challenge beer! 

I was making a joke with all the step talk.  I got my ingredients today.  All DME, and dry yeast.  Sorry to throw people off. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2016, 07:25:50 pm »
I must admit your system is quite impressive - and back at you on the good wishes.

Germans were making "IT" long before hi-tech systems were invented...that's not the secret IMO.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2016, 07:35:29 pm »
For the record I used a simple infusion mash at 150*. I appreciate all the input I may try a step mash the next time I brew a Kolsch or beer like this. This time around I didn't have the time and energy to play with my HERMS, just wanted to mash in the cooler and call it good.

Always great insight and tips on this forum.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2016, 07:44:39 pm »

Germans were making "IT" long before hi-tech systems were invented...that's not the secret IMO.

Yep. Obviously there are techniques that have to be mastered, but I'm still sold on 'it' as uber fresh, top notch ingredients.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2016, 07:45:55 pm »

Yep. Obviously there are techniques that have to be mastered, but I'm still sold on 'it' as uber fresh, top notch ingredients.

Likely so. Equipment and technology is quite likely irrelevant.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 07:50:16 pm »

To me, the inability for us to choose the best of the malts and hop crops explains why it's so hard to duplicate at home. Fun trying to duplicate anyway !
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Step Mash For Kolsch...
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2016, 07:53:14 pm »

To me, the inability for us to choose the best of the malts and hop crops explains why it's so hard to duplicate at home. Fun trying to duplicate anyway !

Agreed. Having all of that with the right process and you could nail it....irrespective of your low tech or high tech system.

Would I love the ease and precision of high tech- absolutely.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2016, 08:31:25 am »

I'm curious, do you find the ingredients you get to be inferior in some way? Or the variety available lacking? The supplies available twenty years ago pale in comparison to what is out there today. I can't remember the last time I couldn't get a particular malt or hop variety (as long as you order your hops when they hit the market) nor have I received supplies that were stale or unusable. I've been to malting facilities as I have a friend in the biz and also to hop farms (none in Europe, yet) and while the contracted brewers may get first pick, that doesn't mean the balance of the malt or hops are somehow lacking.

Back on topic, this thread caught my eye because I have step mashed kolsch and never found a difference between that and a single infusion. And my initial reply about competition winners somehow being superior to other brewers due to the coincidence that the only time I entered the AHA national comp I submitted a Kolsch and a Cream Ale. These light styles are often discussed as being more tedious to brew due to their light nature. Both scored high enough to earn silver medals, that certainly doesn't make me feel like I am a better brewer than anyone else. More so that I had a good handle on the style and process.   
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 08:48:57 am »
personally, I don't think we get bad or subpar, or lack of variety of brewing ingredients.

I just think fresh is best-not so different from baking and cooking. I'd love to grab a freshly malted sack of pils, some just processed hops, and give it whirl and see if that freshness carries through or not to the finished product.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 08:50:41 am »

I'm curious, do you find the ingredients you get to be inferior in some way? Or the variety available lacking? The supplies available twenty years ago pale in comparison to what is out there today. I can't remember the last time I couldn't get a particular malt or hop variety (as long as you order your hops when they hit the market) nor have I received supplies that were stale or unusable. I've been to malting facilities as I have a friend in the biz and also to hop farms (none in Europe, yet) and while the contracted brewers may get first pick, that doesn't mean the balance of the malt or hops are somehow lacking.

We have access to good ingredients of course, but we don't get to pick the very best lot of noble hops from a farm or the freshest, highest quality lots of malts from maltsters. Homebrewers get what's left over. Some German brewers have malts made to their own specs. I'm just saying that while we have access to often very good ingredients, there is a pecking order on ingredients and we're not at the top.
Jon H.