Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My latest peeve....  (Read 8614 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: My latest peeve....
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 02:22:15 pm »
??? Ok, well.  When I go downtown on Wednesday. I'll let them know "juicy" is theirs.  ;)

No offense intended, Steve. Just being silly. I'm prone to that. ;D

None taken John, that's my natural state as well.
Guess I didn't know this was a thing.

I think it's an age/generational thing mostly. I have a couple nephews who just turned legal drinking age and they're big into craft beer and almost exclusively IPAs (go figure). Every other beer they try is allegedly 'juicy'. Oh well, all good.

Dammit Jon, you've confirmed it. I'm an old fart. Didn't realize it was new buzz word with the youngbloods.
That changes everything.
If we say we like it and use it too, they'll stop.  ;)

Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 02:25:52 pm »
Dammit Jon, you've confirmed it. I'm an old fart. Didn't realize it was new buzz word with the youngbloods.
That changes everything.
If we say we like it and use it too, they'll stop.  ;)

Very likely! Yeah, I realized I'd dated myself as soon as I posted ;D  "Hey you kids, get off my lawn..........."
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 03:07:01 pm »
Is juicy more or less appropriate as a descriptor of beer than the word dry?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 03:12:46 pm »
Fat Heads released a "Super Juicy" version of their Hop Juju (imperial west coast style). I haven't had it because it's tap house release only. Apparently oranges are added. I don't think this is the same "juicy" of the northeast though. I dunno. I just like beer. And prefer it to be rather dry.

Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 03:25:01 pm »
Is juicy more or less appropriate as a descriptor of beer than the word dry?

Solid point... Because no matter how dry a beer is, it's still pretty wet... Which would actually mean it's still kinda juicy, right? Lol
Frank

trentm

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 03:49:51 pm »
Modern English:

1.) (of food) full of juice; succulent. (i.e. "a juicy apple")
synonyms: succulent, tender, moist; More ripe;
antonyms: dry

2.) interestingly scandalous. (i.e. "juicy gossip")
synonyms: sensational, very interesting, fascinating, lurid; More scandalous, racy, risqué, spicy;
antonyms: dull

3.) temptingly appealing. (i.e. "the promise of juicy returns on an investment")

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All three could apply to beer but interestingly enough the 1st definition which applies to food may only apply to the notion that fruity smelling hops give beer a "fruit juice" aroma (an aroma full of the smell of fruit juice).

Of course you could, but I don't think one would normally say the same about "grassy", "earthy" or "spicy" smelling hops (i.e. noble hops).  The second definition does open up this possibility.

Therefore a beer described as "juicy" better have some fruity smelling hops/esters otherwise the meaning is totally obscure and inappropriate (unless of course it refers to an appealing beer, which would also be a rather obscure use).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:06:26 pm by trentm »

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 04:10:14 pm »
Modern English:

synonyms: sensational, very interesting, fascinating, lurid; More scandalous, racy, risqué, spicy;

3.) temptingly appealing. (i.e. "the promise of juicy returns on an investment")

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All three could apply to beer but interestingly enough the 1st definition which applies to food may only apply to the notion that fruity smelling hops give beer a "fruit juice" aroma (an aroma full of the smell of fruit juice).

I don't think one would say the same about "grassy", "earthy" or "spicy" smelling hops (i.e. noble hops).

Therefore a beer described as "juicy" better have some fruity smelling hops/esters otherwise the meaning is totally obscure and inappropriate (unless of course it refers to an appealing beer, which would also be a rather obscure use).

See, I would agree that definition one matches the best, but in a complete different respect as you. When I think of juicy, it has nothing to do with the hops. When I think of juicy, it's the opposite of dry. Sure, I can say under-attuenated, but juicy is easier to spell and say. Just like dry is easier to say than over-attuenated.

These beers from the northeast, though I've never had one, claim to be juicy due to mouthfeel. Often times when I'm supposedly drinking west coast style IPA or pale ale, and it ends up being less dry than I would like it, I'll refer to it as juicy. It really has no bearing on what hops are present.
Frank

trentm

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 04:22:00 pm »
Modern English:

I don't think one would say the same about "grassy", "earthy" or "spicy" smelling hops (i.e. noble hops).

See, I would agree that definition one matches the best, but in a complete different respect as you. When I think of juicy, it has nothing to do with the hops. When I think of juicy, it's the opposite of dry. Sure, I can say under-attuenated, but juicy is easier to spell and say. Just like dry is easier to say than over-attuenated.

These beers from the northeast, though I've never had one, claim to be juicy due to mouthfeel. Often times when I'm supposedly drinking west coast style IPA or pale ale, and it ends up being less dry than I would like it, I'll refer to it as juicy. It really has no bearing on what hops are present.

I understand where you're coming from and so does The Notorius B.I.G:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JZom_gVfuw

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 04:30:25 pm »
Nice!

I guess nomenclature of beer perceptions vary from person to person. Just like the perceptions themselves do. Some may use juicy to describe mouthfeel, some to describe hop flavor, while some will leave juicy to describe the sweet pulpy nectar that is produced from processed fruit. Just like some describe the flavor of simcoe as cat piss. I use the term cat piss as an alternative name for the liquid waste product discharged from members of the feline species.
Frank

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 05:34:30 pm »
I know what juicy means. Denny said in the OP he knows what it means. Others here know what it means. given how difficult it is to describe flavor with words it seems like this term should be welcome.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 05:43:02 pm »
I hear you Denny, just another hipster term. Misappropriating words based on what they think they mean and an inability to properly express oneself

Can I adopt you?   ;D
Thanks Denny. Not really up for adoption, but I take donations.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

RPIScotty

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 05:45:57 pm »
"Livin' life without fear, puttin' 5 carats in my baby girl ear..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurghBeezer

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 05:49:08 pm »
The thing I dislike about 'juicy' is it's not specific enough to be a good descriptor.  Earthy is like earth/dirt; Grassy is like grass; Floral is like flowers.  Juicy on the other hand would be like juice, but what juice?  Kale juice? Asparagus juice? Carrot Juice? Plum juice? Lime juice? etc.  And how is it like what juice?  Texture? Flavor? Aroma? Transparency?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 05:51:01 pm »
Sorry, whenever I hear the descriptor "Juicy" I don't think of murky beers, I think of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joose

My next through is that it's one of those beers made for the Mike's hard crowd.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 06:00:09 pm »
I have no clue what someone other than me means by earthy.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.