Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Juicy" IPA  (Read 18095 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
"Juicy" IPA
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:51:53 pm »
While I haven't tried any of these new "NE IPA" beers, I thought I'd take a stab at something in the ballpark to see if there's anything to it. My typical house IPA isn't that far away in hopping approach, so I'm mainly just adding a large amount of torrified wheat and some flaked oats to my usual IPA. I'll be interested to see what differences I might notice.

Giving 1469 a shot as the yeast, since the NE style seems to be using flavorful English yeast. I love me some TTLL, so I figured what the hey. Shooting for 120ppm Cl, 80 ppm SO4 and 50 ppm Na, to keep the minerality on the moderate side but still goose the fullness a bit. Also trying a 60-60 step mash just for the hell of it. If it really helps dry the finish but boost the mouthfeel in a lager, then that certainly fits this style as well.

Title: Hop Drippins

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.4%
IBU (tinseth): 59.51
SRM (morey): 6.02

FERMENTABLES:
3.75 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (63.2%)
6 oz - Belgian - Aromatic (6.3%)
1 lb - Torrified Wheat (16.8%)
5 oz - Flaked Oats (5.3%)
8 oz - Cane Sugar (8.4%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.8, Use: Whirlpool for 60 min at 120 °F
1.5 oz - Enigma, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.1, Use: Whirlpool for 60 min at 120 °F
2 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Whirlpool for 60 min at 120 °F
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.8, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
1 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
1 oz - Enigma, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.1, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
3.6 oz - Hop Shot, Type: Pellet, AA: 2.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 59.51

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 145 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 12 qt, Beta rest - 153F strike
2) Infusion, Temp: 162 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 16.5 qt, Alpha rest +4.5 qt @ boiling

YEAST:
Wyeast - West Yorkshire 1469

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Na: 50
Cl: 120
SO4: 80

Water Notes:
2 mL Lactic
2.2 g Gypsum
1.7 g NaCl
1.5 g CaCl2

NOTES:
3.6 mL of Hop Shot needed at 60 minutes. Targeting ~60 IBU
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: "Juicy" IPA
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:10:45 pm »
That recipe looks interesting. I feel that I have read somewhere that homebrewers emulating the NE "haze" were steeping oats in the wort runoff prior to boil. Maybe I am just delirious from a long weekend of drinking?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 05:18:02 pm »
I'll be curious to see what you think, Eric. This whole sub-style is new territory for me. Doubt I'll brew one but who knows. Hadn't heard the 'steeping oats' thing before either. 
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 05:50:06 pm »
I'm not really concerned with the haze rather than seeing what the extra flaked/torrified grains are going to do for the finished beer. Otherwise I'd just throw flour into it and call it a day. I'm just wondering if the extra proteins are going to do anything for the hop character.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 05:53:36 pm »
I'm not really concerned with the haze rather than seeing what the extra flaked/torrified grains are going to do for the finished beer. Otherwise I'd just throw flour into it and call it a day. I'm just wondering if the extra proteins are going to do anything for the hop character.

Yeah, that's specifically the part I'm interested in, too.
Jon H.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 08:59:40 pm »
This actually very close to a pale ale I've been tweaking. I've been top cropping 1469 (think I'm about to be on pitch 5, may try London Ale III soon tho) and even busted out a hockhurz as well (tho I doubt it's usual for the style.. just been on a lager kick and thought what the hell).

Sounds like you got all the main keys of this style - use a s*** ton of dry hops, use a flavorful yeast, 15%+ flaked grains, less sulfate + more chloride than is usual for a pale ale. Personally I'd move some of the whirlpool to dry but that's personal preference.

It seems like filtering, gelatining, or extended cold crashing is avoided with this style. And age or oxygen can quickly kill the dry hops affect.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 09:11:41 am »
What about calypso hops? The apple, pear, meyer lemon, tropical citrus aromas?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:29:37 am »
I'm about ready to call BS on the whole "the beer is cloudy becasue it's so hoppy" thing.  I have had PNW IPAs that had every bit as much hop aroma and flavor and were crystal clear.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 11:09:43 am »
I'm about ready to call BS on the whole "the beer is cloudy becasue it's so hoppy" thing.  I have had PNW IPAs that had every bit as much hop aroma and flavor and were crystal clear.
Just let them have their fun... just like you let me have my fun with BLACK IPA! :D
Jesse

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 11:18:26 am »
While I haven't tried any of these new "NE IPA" beers,
Dude...drive up 95 to Canton and hit Trillium...you won't be disappointed.

Such a "you kids get off my lawn" response.  Whatever happened to "it's just beer" or "RDWHA-NEIPA"? :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 11:32:22 am »

Such a "you kids get off my lawn" response.  Whatever happened to "it's just beer" or "RDWHA-NEIPA"? :)

But you are a Patriots Fan?? Whatever happened to sticking to the rules?  LOL 8) just playing.  There are too many strict ideas of what should and shouldn't be.  There will be all kinds of hybrid strange fads that will come along, we can only check out a "Style?" or experimental ale decide if it is any good or not.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 12:01:58 pm »

Not at all from my point of view.  It's more like the Wizard of Oz of the Emperor's new clothes.  And if people like them, more power to them.  I'm always an advocate of people drinking what they like.  But from my point of view, there's no reason for the haze to be there, it doesn't add anything I care for, and you can make an equally hoppy beer without the haze.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SPAMR

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 07:33:52 pm »

Not at all from my point of view.  It's more like the Wizard of Oz of the Emperor's new clothes.  And if people like them, more power to them.  I'm always an advocate of people drinking what they like.  But from my point of view, there's no reason for the haze to be there, it doesn't add anything I care for, and you can make an equally hoppy beer without the haze.

Hey Denny!

I will be asking for your help to get rid of the haze on my most recent brew (bottling tomorrow).

I don't know much but it seems like the haze is because of all the flaked oats being used (20% in my batch).

How would you recommend clearing up this style of beer?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 09:36:06 pm »
I just grabbed several Trillium IPA's at Yankee Spirits. Aroma was great, but the flavor was lacking for me on all of them. It reminds me of when I was disappointed in my hoppy lagers - once I cut the Munich and boosted the sulfate they got a whole lot closer to what I wanted. The malt character seems to mask the hop flavor on the Trillium brews, and there is no bitterness or sulfate dryness to give it any kind of snappiness whatsoever. The flavor is very meh and watered-down compared to what I'm looking for.

For comparison, I got a sixer of Evil Twin (so glad to see Heretic in Mass now) for the price of one 750 of Trillium. The hop aroma was damn close to the Trillium beers, and there was better hop flavor and just enough bitterness to make you want to go right back for another sip, all despite the richer malt flavor.

This was an eye-opening experience for me. I'm still going to give this brew a go, but I'm going to flip-flop my Cl and SO4 values for sure.
Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 05:51:13 am »
I just grabbed several Trillium IPA's at Yankee Spirits. Aroma was great, but the flavor was lacking for me on all of them. It reminds me of when I was disappointed in my hoppy lagers - once I cut the Munich and boosted the sulfate they got a whole lot closer to what I wanted. The malt character seems to mask the hop flavor on the Trillium brews, and there is no bitterness or sulfate dryness to give it any kind of snappiness whatsoever. The flavor is very meh and watered-down compared to what I'm looking for.

For comparison, I got a sixer of Evil Twin (so glad to see Heretic in Mass now) for the price of one 750 of Trillium. The hop aroma was damn close to the Trillium beers, and there was better hop flavor and just enough bitterness to make you want to go right back for another sip, all despite the richer malt flavor.

This was an eye-opening experience for me. I'm still going to give this brew a go, but I'm going to flip-flop my Cl and SO4 values for sure.
Doh! I can't think of locals to send you in the swap that you can't get yourself and I was thinking I would get you some trillium at Yankee Spirits.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.