Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133372 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 01:30:36 pm »
Did you notice any difference in the wort color or taste to previous brews?

I didn't taste the wort, and it wouldn't really have told me anything unless I had a comparison without it to taste, too.  In terms of color, nothing special.  But I can't say for sure until I brew the same recipe without it tomorrow.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 03:05:45 pm »
Cool.  I'm planning to pick some of this up soon.  I'm curious to see if it has any effect on chill haze.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 06:23:48 pm »
It seems like you have to give it a couple minutes to appear.  You could also try downloading it.

I'll give a second confirmation that your link in the original post only has the odd pages - even when downloaded.  The PDF document is 4 pages long when it should be 7 pages long (I think 7).

Denny, I wonder if you happen to be checking a different/updated link than us?  If you still have the original 7 page PDF then maybe you can try uploading it to your google drive again and giving us the new link.  Sorry to a PITA, but the literature is intriguing but I feel like I'm only getting half the picture :D

Yeah, the original was missing pages so I reposted yesterday afternoon.  Took the original down.  See if this link is better...https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2R-Uk7z3JpgRHZfRENpNmtpTVk/view?usp=sharing
I hope it works but it looks like it will fix all your ailments.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 09:58:15 am »

AND make my hair shiny and lustrous!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 10:19:15 am »
Cool.  I'm planning to pick some of this up soon.  I'm curious to see if it has any effect on chill haze.

It does, but it ultimately depends on what's causing the chill haze.  In my own process, it was polyphenols and polyclar works better for that but if it is protein/lipids, Brewtan is the tool. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 05:00:26 pm »

AND make my hair shiny and lustrous!  ;)

Hopefully everywhere! Look out Fabio!  8)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 06:47:11 pm »
A guy I know, knows a guy that got me a sample to try out.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 07:01:35 pm »
Um, that's oregano dude.

RPIScotty

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 09:08:54 pm »
Um, that's oregano dude.

Best response of all time.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2016, 09:06:45 am »
Brewed a batch of Helles the other day with Brewtan B in the mash and end of boil. My run off looked like cloudy orange juice, usually it runs crystal clear.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2016, 10:35:40 am »
Brewed a batch of Helles the other day with Brewtan B in the mash and end of boil. My run off looked like cloudy orange juice, usually it runs crystal clear.

What gives?

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2016, 11:21:53 am »

What gives?
Don't know, the mash was nice and clear but after chilling I let it settle for 15-30 min and it just stayed a hazy orangish color instead of dropping clear. I set aside a fast ferment test sample in a quart jar, it's only been a couple days but it will be interesting to see if it drops clear in the next couple days. The wort still tasted and smelled normal to what I'm used to, maybe it will be fine and just needs time.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2016, 11:34:35 am »
My take is that Brewtan is made of tannic acid/polyphenols (PP) and when added in the presence of proteins/lipids of opposite charge they combine and precipitate but if PP are added and there are no excess proteins/lipids they would cause haze.  You might be like me and have excess PP not proteins.  Hoppy styles a little too grassy/astringent?  In any event, you'll definitely know if it PP when you see the chilled wort after using polyclar.  Night and day difference.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2016, 01:45:36 pm »
My take is that Brewtan is made of tannic acid/polyphenols (PP) and when added in the presence of proteins/lipids of opposite charge they combine and precipitate but if PP are added and there are no excess proteins/lipids they would cause haze.  You might be like me and have excess PP not proteins.  Hoppy styles a little too grassy/astringent?  In any event, you'll definitely know if it PP when you see the chilled wort after using polyclar.  Night and day difference.
Ah, that makes sense. I have a Braumeister and I bet the recirculation strips a lot of the proteins out in the mash, it always super clear wort. Adding tannic acid is just adding haze to already clear wort. Hope it settles out.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2016, 08:47:16 am »
Recirc/RIMS will put extra PP into solution.  I am confident the levels would be higher than typical.  I would definitely try some polyclar at 10m to KO.  I would not sit on that Helles waiting for it to clear.  A large amount of PP in finished beer combining with O2 is a classic fast staling situation.  Polyclar on cold side should clear that Helles in a snap. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH