Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133440 times)

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #330 on: September 14, 2016, 08:51:50 pm »
The sulfer issues are more to do with the SMB dosage for everybody's system (some take more, some less). I brewed for many years (pre lodo) with no copper at all and never had a sulfur problem. For those on the fence about low oxygen mashing, it absolutely makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #331 on: September 15, 2016, 09:34:24 am »
For those on the fence about low oxygen mashing, it absolutely makes a difference.

Even with the use of a copper chiller, you think? I've noticed a slight improvement, but not out-of-this-world. I did just get a stainless chiller though, so I'm hoping that'll be the difference I really notice. I'm holding my breath for it, more than I'd like to admit, I'm sure. But, I like stainless anyway.
Jesse

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #332 on: September 15, 2016, 09:44:05 am »
For those on the fence about low oxygen mashing, it absolutely makes a difference.

Even with the use of a copper chiller, you think? I've noticed a slight improvement, but not out-of-this-world. I did just get a stainless chiller though, so I'm hoping that'll be the difference I really notice. I'm holding my breath for it, more than I'd like to admit, I'm sure. But, I like stainless anyway.
Let's start with, I have done lodo probably almost every way the paper said not to. For me there was a noticeable difference, even doing it partially wrong. Even with using copper. The big difference was how long it lasted.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #333 on: September 15, 2016, 10:23:49 am »

Let's start with, I have done lodo probably almost every way the paper said not to. For me there was a noticeable difference, even doing it partially wrong. Even with using copper. The big difference was how long it lasted.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've noticed a longer shelf life as well.
Jesse

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #334 on: September 15, 2016, 10:31:21 am »
I haven't got to play with brewtan yet, but it sounds like it with lodo practices might be more forgiving with use of copper.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #335 on: September 15, 2016, 11:00:25 am »
I haven't got to play with brewtan yet, but it sounds like it with lodo practices might be more forgiving with use of copper.

That's my understanding, too - that Brewtan has a chelating effect (at least to a degree) on copper.

Jesse - I think it's worth repeating that, for someone like you who has been using lodo practices already (SMB, transferring to keg early, etc.), Brewtan may well not show a big difference in terms of final product. But for guys like some of us who are still using older practices with pouring and splashing, etc., Brewtan makes a noticeable difference (and improvement) IMO.
Jon H.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2016, 11:55:30 am »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've noticed a longer shelf life as well.

Me too.... it stays on the shelf way longer than it used to (ba-dum-ch) :D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2016, 12:02:09 pm »
So is anyone testing the use of brewtan and lodo with the use of copper yet? If not, why not? Even my limited chemistry knowledge tells me brewtan will not get you there alone.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2016, 12:16:49 pm »
So is anyone testing the use of brewtan and lodo with the use of copper yet? If not, why not? Even my limited chemistry knowledge tells me brewtan will not get you there alone.

I have and, so far, haven't noticed a difference between just using a low DO process with the copper chiller. I'll be interested to see what happens when I start using my stainless chiller this weekend. But I'm not brewing what you would call the best style to test for it: a black IPA. I really should be doing a helles again, and maybe I'll end up doing that.
Jesse

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2016, 12:31:52 pm »

I have and, so far, haven't noticed a difference between just using a low DO process with the copper chiller. I'll be interested to see what happens when I start using my stainless chiller this weekend. But I'm not brewing what you would call the best style to test for it: a black IPA. I really should be doing a helles again, and maybe I'll end up doing that.
With low o2 mashing I see a difference in all beers and styles, including hoppy.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2016, 05:23:02 pm »

With low o2 mashing I see a difference in all beers and styles, including hoppy.

Does this include the use of a SS chiller?

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2016, 08:38:07 pm »
A lot of my batches I have used a  ss plate chiller (which according to the label uses a 99.9 copper brazing material to assemble, very interesting)  to chill strike water and a copper cfc for the final chill.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:44:10 pm by natebriscoe »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2016, 12:25:30 pm »
A lot of my batches I have used a  ss plate chiller (which according to the label uses a 99.9 copper brazing material to assemble, very interesting)  to chill strike water and a copper cfc for the final chill.

So if you are incorporating copper to some degree, then do you feel through experience that a stainless steel chiller is not fully necessary to maintain low DO practices?  Just curious, as I am trying to figure out where I can possibly make changes at home.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »

So if you are incorporating copper to some degree, then do you feel through experience that a stainless steel chiller is not fully necessary to maintain low DO practices?  Just curious, as I am trying to figure out where I can possibly make changes at home.
[/quote]
I think stainless is necessary for the effects to last any useful amount of time. But I think you may be able see the effects with the use of copper for a very short time. Maybe till the end of the mash, maybe the end of fermentation, maybe not at all. It very dependant on a 1000 different factors.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:47:33 pm by natebriscoe »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #344 on: September 16, 2016, 01:52:14 pm »
It's that thousand different factors that makes me not won't to bother. It's like hipster pour over coffee. I'm sure it's great, but I don't need the stress.