Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133371 times)

The Beerery

Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #555 on: October 12, 2016, 12:17:29 pm »
This all jives with the British method of carbonating in a cask, even when bottling. Different method from spunding, but should have the same result.

Same difference, using pure fermentation co2 to carbonate and keep DO down.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #556 on: October 12, 2016, 12:18:06 pm »
I'll be curious to see where this discussion goes after people listen to what Joe has to say on today's podcast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #557 on: October 12, 2016, 12:18:32 pm »
This all jives with the British method of carbonating in a cask, even when bottling. Different method from spunding, but should have the same result.

Honest question...is the fermentation CO2 pure?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #558 on: October 12, 2016, 12:21:55 pm »

Honest question...is the fermentation CO2 pure?

As pure as it can get.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #559 on: October 12, 2016, 12:23:16 pm »
I'm not a chemist, but...

Pure CO2 is a direct byproduct of fermentation. I know some other gaseous compounds leave the beer, (sulfur, anyone?) but I'm not aware of any reactions that would produce O2.

I'd say the overall CO2 purity in the headroom of a bottle/cask/keg would be more affected by the quality of the seal than anything on the fermentation side.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #560 on: October 12, 2016, 12:24:35 pm »
Less concerned about CO2 purity here as I plan to use ascorbic acid...  'twas nice to see a cite for that!

Care to offer insight into "phenol rich malts"?  Fresh, smoked, 6 row? 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

The Beerery

« Reply #561 on: October 12, 2016, 12:26:02 pm »
Less concerned about CO2 purity here as I plan to use ascorbic acid...  'twas nice to see a cite for that!

Dark kilned malts, Munich and the like. The malliard reactions in the malts are reductone rich.

The Beerery

« Reply #562 on: October 12, 2016, 12:28:53 pm »

I would still be vary concerned, and head the warning in the "nugget" ascorbic is not your answer. Its a band-aid that could add unnecessary problems(carbonyls).

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #563 on: October 12, 2016, 12:46:41 pm »
Which is another reason you recapture your own from fermentation (spunding in one form or another, basically pure) and get the best you can for dispensing only(and consume moderately fast). All modern brewhouses will more than likely capture fermentation co2, re-condense it into liquid co2, and use it though out the brewery.

ALL?  Not a single one I deal with regularly does that.  Some might, but as far as I can tell, more don't.
Sierra Nevada captures their CO2 and processes it for the brewery. That's what they said on the brewery tour I was on 3 years ago.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #564 on: October 12, 2016, 12:49:04 pm »
I never tried this CO2 capture method, but someone should do it and report back.

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/carbonation/CapturingCo2.htm
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Big Monk

« Reply #565 on: October 12, 2016, 12:51:21 pm »
I never tried this CO2 capture method, but someone should do it and report back.

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/carbonation/CapturingCo2.htm

That's the whole goal of spunding.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #566 on: October 12, 2016, 12:52:39 pm »
I understand that.  Perhaps my humor was too subtle.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #567 on: October 12, 2016, 01:06:57 pm »
Which is another reason you recapture your own from fermentation (spunding in one form or another, basically pure) and get the best you can for dispensing only(and consume moderately fast). All modern brewhouses will more than likely capture fermentation co2, re-condense it into liquid co2, and use it though out the brewery.

ALL?  Not a single one I deal with regularly does that.  Some might, but as far as I can tell, more don't.

The big ones do. Didn't they take you to see the unit at Sierra Nevada? The esters and alcohol that gas off need to be removed.

This looks like the Sierra Nevada recovery system. There are some specs for the O2.
http://foodandbeverage.pentair.com/~/media/websites/food-and-beverage/downloads/haffmans/co2-recovery/co2-recovery-plants_haffmans_leaflet.pdf
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:14:25 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #568 on: October 12, 2016, 01:19:31 pm »
Thanks Bryan for the info shared. Tides are turning in homebrewing with respect to O2 reduction, quickly for some people, slower for others. Regardless, it's good to have info about various ingredients and approaches, to give brewers a chance to decide what they can do/want to do in their own breweries.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #569 on: October 12, 2016, 01:27:36 pm »
Hell...... I'm coming around.  I'm mega-skeptical, but shoot.... anything is worth a try to achieve IT.  I've been wrong before.  Speaking of which, I have some shocking blind triangle results of a different type to share one of these days if I ever get a round to it.  How come writing is so easy when I'm procrastinating at work, but so difficult when I want to do other stuff after work?!

Cheers.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.