Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection  (Read 5763 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
 We all worry about and go through all the painstaking measures to stay sterile,  and I'm just wondering how many of us have actually gotten a batch infected to the point where you had to throw it out?
 I remember my second batch was a two hearted clone before I went to all grain and I ended up throwing it out. Not sure what happened but I was so new could've been anything at that point.   Now my wife makes fun of me because after flameout, I put on a hairnet, close all the doors in the garage, sweat my balls off and act like I'm in a surgical suite until I close up the fermenter.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:06:13 pm »
I've had a few infected to the point I tossed them, but I would never go to the lengths you do. That destroys the fun for me.  And losing maybe 3 batches out of 500 is a pretty good average.  So I'm careful, but not obsessed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 01:15:37 pm »
I've dumped two in over 20 years from infection. Friends thought I was overreacting as both were pretty low level infections - but I could tell it and that's all that mattered.  Like Denny said, that's a pretty decent batting average. I don't go to extremes with sanitation, but I've done it enough times to have a good routine.
Jon H.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 01:19:23 pm »
 500 batches,,, 20 years,,, just when I start feeling like I'm getting the hang of things, I get humbled.   Tons of good well-earned knowledge on this forum!
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 01:20:14 pm »
I don't worry too much about infection from airborne yeast or bacteria. Yeast pitch quantities are designed to quickly overwhelm the small quantities from that vector. I worry more about lingering bacteria in a piece of tubing or in the fermenter. Both get put up slightly wet in a warm garage and seem like they would be good environments for bacteria to grow. Of course, I clean those before use.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 01:24:46 pm »
I've had one that turned a batch of raisin dubbel (from BLAM) into vinegar.  Touch wood, that's been it.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 01:35:54 pm »
For my first lager I used 6-row as the base malt. I didn't boil it vigorously enough and the whole batch tasted of creamed corn. That's was procedural error rather than an airborne infection, but it's the closest I've come to tossing a batch. I still managed to drink it all down....quietly...in the dark.....alone....with my eyes shut  :o

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 02:26:25 pm »
I have had a few in my years of brewing, but none in the past 6. Mainly when I first started brewing and was unaware of proper chemicals for sanitizing. I used to only use bleach and one-step. Man, how my brewing has changed.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 04:37:09 pm »
The only batch I lost to infection was after I threw a couple of cinnamon sticks into secondary on a batch of winter warmer. Any other infected batches have been intentional :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 05:24:36 pm »
I've only been brewing a few years, but the answer for me is never.  My neighbor had an infection once but it turned out a very tasty sour, so no dump there!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 05:40:11 pm »
I've had a cpl dumpers but not due to infection. I've found I do not like certain beers.

Offline ibrubeer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 04:48:47 am »
Ironic topic! I currently have a batch in the fermenter that I need to dump. 3rd batch in over 20 years. Mine is due to a persistent infection in my minibrew conical though, I believe.  Now I just need to figure out a way to ensure that I have eradicated the infection from the conical!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 07:12:19 am »
I've dumped a couple of batches long ago for band-aid wild yeast flavor.  Lately I'm seeing a lacto sourness showing up in some kegs after several months and I keep drinking those until I need the keg.  Right now I have and English Pale that is starting to sour and I like it.  I am working on isolating the problem.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 08:07:22 am »
I recently dumped my first batch but it wasn't due to infection, it was because I pushed the limits with too many variables on an English pale Ale and ended up with a beer I simply didn't want5 to drink. I have had 2 infections that I know of, neither a dumper, one arguably an improvement.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 09:04:55 am »
I've dumped a few due to infections. It happens.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing