Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Force Carbination at Room Temperature  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Force Carbination at Room Temperature
« on: June 16, 2016, 04:32:58 pm »
During the winter, force carbing is easy because in certain parts of my cellar it is very cold. I simply chill the beer and set the regulator to 30 psi for 48 hours, and that does the trick.

During the summer, I usually carbonate naturally using sugar.

I have a beer ready now that I don't have time to carbonate naturally. So my question is, how can I force carbonate at 60 F? What setting? How long?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Force Carbination at Room Temperature
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 11:03:25 am »
During the winter, force carbing is easy because in certain parts of my cellar it is very cold. I simply chill the beer and set the regulator to 30 psi for 48 hours, and that does the trick.

During the summer, I usually carbonate naturally using sugar.

I have a beer ready now that I don't have time to carbonate naturally. So my question is, how can I force carbonate at 60 F? What setting? How long?
You can still do it at 30 PSI, but it will take longer at those temps. You could always do the "shake and roll" method if you need it super fast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 11:18:27 am »
You could also go at a higher pressure, but be sure your regulator and lines can handle it.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 05:57:46 am »
I figured as much, but I thought there might be some magic numbers for doing warmer beers. Thanks, guys!
Frank C.

Offline diegov

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 07:37:58 am »
Question, if I have the key in a cooler at about 42-44 F temperature, and connect the co2 at a pressure of 30 psi, you can know how long before carbonation?

Thanks

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 12:06:29 pm »
I figured as much, but I thought there might be some magic numbers for doing warmer beers. Thanks, guys!

I had to force carb a bunch of kegs @ 62 for my wedding last year and I took notes.
At 62 F I applied 50 PSI and PULLED THE GAS LINE. the next day the head pressure was 18 PSI.
I then hit it with 50 PSI and again PULLED THE GAS LINE. the next day I had head pressure at 29 and probably would have dropped a little lower with time. I was shooting for a stable/no gas added head pressure of 26 PSI to achieve 2.5 vols. your temp is pretty close so this should give you something to go on.

A word of caution: Old kegs are rated to over 100 psi but they are old, QD's and gas line are not rated (at least not that I have seen/know). I have thick wall gas line and clamp at all hose barbs. 50 PSI is what I decided the highest acceptable pressure to use on my system/with my kegs. Use your best judgement when ramping up the pressure beyond serving.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 04:48:12 pm »
Thanks, that's good info!
Frank C.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 12:17:59 pm »

Sure thing, I'm glad you find it usefull.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA