Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lets get to know each other!  (Read 32837 times)

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
Lets get to know each other!
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:13:48 am »
I really like the sense of community we all get from forums like this. I recognize a lot of people here from the NB board, but there are a bunch of people I don't know and it would be cool for everyone to introduce and share a little about  yourself. Don't feel obligated though!  ::)

I'm Travis. 25 y/o. I've been brewing for about 2 years now. I moved to all grain this past spring (12 AG to date) and don't know why I didn't do it sooner! Love to brew, and like most other people here, its just about all I think about. I live in Kansas City and work for a pharmaceutical company as a microbiologist while my wife is in medical school at Kansas University. I like long leisurely strolls on the beach, and my favorite color is blue (especially for mash tuns!)  ;D
Travis R.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
Re: Lets get to know each other!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:24:44 am »
My name is Matt.  I'm 29 and write/admin software/databases for an engineering company.
I have a wife and a couple of youngsters.

I've been brewing for just over two years and have been all grain for just over a year.  I just got a freezer and temp switch that I need to hook up so I can lager!

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about all the different styles.

My favorite color is green but my cooler is blue.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:35:06 am by ndcube »

Offline valorian

• 1st Kit
    • Forest City Brewers
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:32:19 am »
Names Darin, been brewing for about 7 years now. Been making wine for about 10. I brew all grain in my garage. It's nothing fancy, just your typical cooler mashing. I manage the website for my local homebrewclub, The Forest City Brewers (http://forestcitybrewers.org).

I too have a blue mashtun. I find blue mash tuns work best for mashing.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:01:58 am »
My name is Steve, but I go by Stephen, Stevo, Stevorino, or hey you!  I am 42 years old, married, with one assistant brewer, a son age 7 ( don't worry...he only helps dump the grain into my Barley Crusher...I don't make him do the dough in or run the boil...yet ).

I've been brewing for a few years, but only seriously for about the last 3.  Started as an extract brewer with a kit my wife bought me at the Vermont Brewers Festival, but have been doing All Grain for the last 3 years.  I batch sparge following the wisdom of Denny ( sucking up here  ;) ).  I recently acquired a new chest freezer and set it up as a fermentation chamber.  What a difference!

Hopefully my next big acquisition will be a kegging system because I am growing really tired of bottling. 

I post mainly on The Brewing Network forum, but also on Beer Advocate, Morebeer ( sometimes ), and NB once or twice.  I will behave myself and try to remember which forum I'm posting on so as not to incur the wrath of Denny.  ;D

My mash tun is also Blue....Blue is the new Black.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:16:42 am »
My name is Jeff

43 married with a 7 yo son and 4 yo daughter.
We have started to do a lot of camping and will continue to until the kids lose interest.
I hunt and do some offshore fishing (mostly for Bluefin tuna with occasional Marlin trips as well)

I brewed for a while in the early 90's and stopped when we built the house.

With the greatly appreciated help/prodding of a friend who said "I'm brewing tomorrow, bring a carboy" a few years back it has been guns blazing since. Didnt realize how much I missed this hobby.

I generally do single infusion mashes but do decoctions for most German styles. My wife has helped by mashing in for me a few times, once was a triple infusion Hefeweizen............. so I have that going for me.

Temps are generally controlled by a swamp cooler except during camping season/vacations when I will plug in a spare keezer.

4 taps in a converted fridge and generally one other ready in the lagering keezer.

Everything except the mill in my system was built by me (and the mill was even modified to make it gear drive) and leans toward the Cheap and Easy method (copyright Denny Conn)

We have 5 varieties of hops with good harvests from three (Cascades, Mt Hood, Fuggles) the Northern Brewers and Northdowns need to be move to another location.

RED COOLER!
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:21:30 am »
... Blue is the new Black.

Sorry, I'm not changing my avatar. :D

BTW My favorite color is orange as in McLaren which became more like yellow in the early 70's M8D's, my favorite shade of "orange".
edit: some info actually related to this board:
I use keggles w/ 12.5 to 13 gal batch size. Free standing BK and HLT. The tuns are 152 and 70 qt and sometimes both.

I prefer brewing beer to walks on a beach, sunset or otherwise. Now if there was a brewery on the beach....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:29:57 am by stout_fan »
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 08:25:02 am »

RED COOLER!

I bet your efficiency is terrible with that thing!  ;)
Travis R.

Offline homebrewdad

• 1st Kit
  • Covert Operations Brewery
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 08:37:04 am »
I'm an old fart, I guess.  I'll be 55 in December, married since '83.  Two kids, 15 and 16.

Brewing for five or six years, making wine for 20.  My mashtun is a keg inside a wooden box, and I'm setting up to do 30 gallon batches.  I just invested in a 3 barrel fermenter.

I've done a bunch of SMASH recipes, my favorite being Maris Otter with Centennial.

I manage a OPE department at a Do-It Best Hardware store in southwest Michigan.

Glad to be here.
As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord.  Joshua

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 08:42:32 am »
Real name is............Robert  ;D.

Hittin the big 3-0 in about a month. Been brewing for about 3 years now. All-grain 5 and 10 gallon batches.

Married with a 3 yr and 6 month old. Wife and I are big baseball fans. Season tix to the Rangers. I work for a city govt, solving problems and such.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:58:38 am »
Kit brewed for about 10 years - my housemate/best bud had the gear and I got the bug.  Got my one gear when I got married.
Had been talking about all-grain grewing for a while and my wife bought me a couple books last xmas (I think she now regrets that) and did my first ag batch last April with number 9 coming soon.

38, married to a nurse, we have two kids (daughter is 6, son is 1).  I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and work for the provincial government.  I do GIS (Geographic Information Systems), which is basically a blend of mapping and databases.

When I'm not at work, taxi-ing the daughter to various activities, looking after/playing with my kids and/or dog, brewing or thinking about brewing, I like to spend my time outside, wither working on the yard or taking the family for a hike/walk.  Maritime weather can really put a damper on that though.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 09:04:46 am »
Ok, i'll bite  :D

My name is Chris Bowen,

I am married for 23 years to a great wife, and have 3 great  children , 22 , 16 , and 10 . I am a financial planner for the past 16 years and specialize in small business's of 2-15 employees , I am a master broker in 11 different states selling employee and executive benefit packages, so that's boring .

I have a couple of different serious hobbies, but I will talk about the brewing one here .
In 2007 I won the gold medal at the GABF ProAm , which helped to add some credibility to my amature brewing career, it was a fantastic thrill,  and one I will always cherrish. I am also a BJCP judge , and waiting for a local exam site to take my Cicerone exam, I did the beer server one so far .
I started doing re-eacting of a 1800's brewer for my local historical society about two years ago, after doing a fair amount of research, I am currently  a guest curator for a year long museum exibit on brewing history , that includes brewing old recipes from the period of 1790 to 1830 , re-enactments on period equipment and giving lectures on historical brewing practices.

In addition , I am working on my latest project for next summer 2010 , where I am making a documentary film about the Northwest Passage in the arctic region of Canada, a modern day adventure film that has me and a couple of friends, riding motorcycles into the arctic to brew the famous Allsopp's Arctic ale , a three week adventure of extreme brewing, history, and adventure motorcycling.

Other than that, I enjoying mostly brewing for friends and learning from fellow homebrewers , I belong to a very strong and active  local club "the Lehigh Valley Homebrewers", where several great brewers have taught me much of what I know .
Brewing up history

Offline rebobbitt

• 1st Kit
  • KROC Homebrew Club Denver CO
    • KROC Homebrew Club
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 09:47:20 am »
My turn..

I am 44, married with two boys, 11 and 14.

I am a software engineer, and own my own small software company, specializing in GPS/GIS and digital cameras.

I've been homebrewing for 4 years now. I am a member of the KROC homebrew club in North Denver and a BJCP judge.

I use 3 15gal kettles for all-grain brewing with two natural gas fired burners.

In my "beer office", I have a fermentation fridge which can hold two 6.5 gal carboys, and a storage/serving fridge which can hold 15 cornies. I built a wooden collar for the fridge, and added 5 serving taps.

Rick Bobbitt

Next Brews : Brown Porter, Southern English Brown
Fermenting : German Pils, Schwarzbier, Raspberry Mead, Orange Blossom Mead
Aging : Golden Strong, Wee Heavy, Eisbock, Sour Mead
On Tap : Steam Beer, Rauchbier, Dry Minty Mead, Semi-Sweet Mead

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:59:05 am »
I'm an older fart....57, 58 on Valentine's Day.  Been married damn near 30 years, have a 32 year old son in NY and 2 grandkids, 1 and 4.  I've been brewing about 12 years.  I'm a member of the AHA Governing Committee, and in real life I'm an audio engineer at a large performing arts facility.  I love cooking and baking bread.  If I ever have any spare time, I play the ukulele.  Currently working on learning Pinball Wizard on the uke.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 11:53:25 am »
Let's see.. got one Admin, might as well get the other one in...

Drew Beechum - 35 - engaged - no kids, except 2 furry four legged canines and 2 furry four legged cats (one of which outweighs the canines). I live and brew in Pasadena, CA. Originally from Florida, went to school in Cambridge, MA. This means at some point I'm going to have to move somewhere into Denny territory (or north of there) just to finish pegging the four corners of the country.

I work as a senior software engineer for a major entertainment company and have had all sorts of jobs around here. Currently, I write and design systems to help ferret out people misbehaving in our online products. Its an odd job seeing what people like to chat about on these intertubes.

Brewing wise - I brew 10 gallon batches in a 26 gallon pot. (I hate boilovers I guess) and use a blue cooler for my mashing. Sadly, the braid is coming out this week to be replaced by an old fashioned copper manifold.  I mostly ferment in two 10 gallon corny kegs and have ~25 kegs waiting to receive brew. My favorite styles are Mild, Saison and DIPA. (go figure that range). I guess I like extremes. I'd be hard pressed not to experiment with something goofy.

I am a member and past president of America's Oldest Homebrew Club - The Maltose Falcons (out of Woodland Hills, CA). I'm currently the "Grand Hydrometer" (aka Beer Education dude or Mr. Know-it-all) and the Webmeister.

I was a one day Jeopardy! Champion last year (2008) and got to talk about homebrewing with Alex. The next day I talked about skydiving and then promptly lost. Must be the reason I don't throw myself from airplanes anymore!

I'm also a freelance writer published in Zymurgy, the Celebrator and a monthly column in BeerAdvocate the Magazine.

Earlier this year a book I wrote was published by Adams Media - The Everything Homebrewing Book.

Like Denny, I'm a member of the Governing Committee which means I'm all ears for ways to improve the AHA experience for the membership.Unlike Denny, I still have my hearing intact!

A fool and the ground are soon reunited!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 11:59:39 am »
Unlike Denny, I still have my hearing intact!

What????
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell