Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crazy hazy beer--is single sack of Marris Otter to blame?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
Crazy hazy beer--is single sack of Marris Otter to blame?
« on: September 10, 2016, 03:18:50 pm »
I normally don't care too much about beer clarity but that's because my beers generally clear  pretty well even without fining.  However, my last 30 gallons of beer have been a hazy mess and I was starting to question everything in my process, trying to figure out what changed.

Finally I stumbled across this thread started by Kai (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5175.15)
and everything fell into place. All my hazy beers can be traced back to a single sack of Gleneagle MO malt!

So my question is--do others have any experience with MO being particularity hazy?  Are other UK malts equally prone to this and if not, what cultivars might be less prone to this?

Thank you for any help.  I'm happy that I (might) have stumbled on the solution...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Crazy hazy beer--is single sack of Marris Otter to blame?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 03:28:02 pm »
I've never used that maltster's malts so I can't speak from experience with it, but I have heard and read accounts of some MOs causing haze. The last MO I used was Munton's - not my favorite MO but it cleared out brilliantly. I assume your process and pH control is sound?
Jon H.

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 03:47:20 pm »
I assume your process and pH control is sound?

Well, I always doubt myself  :)

My current haze issue even prompted me to buy a new pH meter as I was beginning to suspect that pH might be the culprit. It wasn't  :o

The beers are otherwise great, but I've never encountered this degree of turbidity.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:53:39 pm »
I assume your process and pH control is sound?

Well, I always doubt myself  :)

My current haze issue even prompted me to buy a new pH meter as I was beginning to suspect that pH might be the culprit. It wasn't  :o

The beers are otherwise great, but I've never encountered this degree of turbidity.

Fining with gelatin no help at all? It's probably not a coincidence that this issue started with the bag of MO, especially given the pH control.
Jon H.

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:01:01 pm »
Fining with gelatin no help at all? It's probably not a coincidence that this issue started with the bag of MO, especially given the pH control.

Nope.  Nor did isinglass.  :P

I also didn't try a protein rest (although Kai did).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 04:08:51 pm »

Gelatin should help to a good extent. I'll be curious to see how it turns out if you do. Good luck.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 04:10:59 pm »
I have seen that some recommend a protein rest with some maltsters' MO. I have never used one and don't feel that it benefits the beer. With that being said, I have experienced some considerable haze (even with gel finings and a long cold conditioning) using Simpson's Golden Promise earlier this spring. Blatz on here also experienced the same with this malt as well. Nothing like a persistent haze that annoys the crap out of you even after you try all the usual tricks.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 04:35:24 pm »
+1 to skipping the protein rest - most any malt available to homebrewers nowadays is pretty highly modified and doesn't need it. A protein rest can even be detrimental to foam quality in highly modified malts.
Jon H.

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 04:52:42 pm »

Gelatin should help to a good extent. I'll be curious to see how it turns out if you do. Good luck.

I meant to convey that I had tried both gelatin and isinglass.  8)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 04:53:56 pm »

I meant to convey that I had tried both gelatin and isinglass.  8)

Ok, gotcha. Well that sucks. That's a maltster I'll know to skip.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 04:59:01 pm »
It could be that this malt is under modified, or maybe the sack was. Do you have the batch info to look it up?

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 07:00:19 pm »
What yeast was used?

Was the beer dry hopped?

How cold is the current storage temperature and does the beer clear when you warm it?

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 10:15:51 pm »
It could be that this malt is under modified, or maybe the sack was. Do you have the batch info to look it up?

I have the lot number I think  Where would I go to look that sort of think up? The Gleneagles MO is sold by  Crisp.

Offline Stevie

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 06:40:50 am »
I was going to say that, without a malt analysis it would be hard to determine it is the malt's fault. But as usual you all beat me to it. Anyway, I have never had a problem with Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter but I have never used the maltster in question.