Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long is your brew day?  (Read 12007 times)

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
Re: How long is your brew day?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 12:33:45 pm »
3 hours, but I do some preparation the previous day.

Day 1: finalise recipe, sort out water chemistry, heat water, measure out grain, dough in with full (or nearly full) water volume at bedtime.

Day 2: make coffee, vorlauf, run off wort, skip sparge (or very small batch sparge), boil, etc. Clean up during the boil and chill.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:35:48 pm by charles1968 »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 02:40:48 pm »
5 -6 hours, give or take. I usually plan for 8, but that's usually doing two 5 gallon batches with staggered starts.  Plus, one mash tun does NOT like to drain.  Still dialing that in, which takes awhile with my intermittent brewing schedule.

A partial mash stove top batch feels quicker, but I'm not so sure it is as it takes longer to heat the water.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 03:58:22 pm »
I don't exactly know, but I, by god, make sure I'm done in time for my afternoon nap.  ::)
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

coastsidemike

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 08:30:52 pm »
I don't exactly know, but I, by god, make sure I'm done in time for my afternoon nap.  ::)

I love siesta as well.  I'll do my brewing setup the night before, mash-in in the morning, compost and clean-up, then leave the boil for the late afternoon.  When it's 2-3 hours here or there, the whole process is easier.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 01:50:15 pm »
I brew 5 gallons batches and my typical time is 5-6 hours.  I also always do a 90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 08:30:37 pm »
I average about 6 hours for 5.5 gallons--but, because I brew in our kitchen at night, that often includes cleaning the dinner mess and then hauling up from the basement all the equipment. With a gang of kids (4) and a wife that grudgingly cedes what she claims as "her" kitchen, I take what availability I can get. I tell you, though, many years from now when I retire, I'm going to have my own dedicated brewery (in a basement or in a shed/barn) and brew in the plain light of day.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline secondbase

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2016, 08:10:50 pm »
Typically 6-7 hours from start to finish. I brew ten gallon batches. I don't have a pump, so I heat up my water on the stovetop and mash/sparge in my 2nd story apartment, hauling wort downstairs to bring everything to a boil in my kettle outside. I brew a lot of saisons and sours, so I do 90 minute mashes and 90-120 minute boils. Cleanup involves me hauling equipment up and down stairs. Could probably do 4-5 hours for a low grav 5 gallon batch, but them's the breaks.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 05:01:55 am »
I had a 7 hour lauter the other day on a Rye Imperial Stout .... oh lort! It sucked!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 05:15:20 am »
I had a 7 hour lauter the other day on a Rye Imperial Stout .... oh lort! It sucked!

Damn! I've had some slow lauters but that's a doozy. Slight difference in volume though.  :)
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 09:10:32 am »
about 5.5 - 7 hours - always 10gal batches.  cleanup after racking can sometimes take me longer than it should
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 09:53:39 am »

OUch!  My worse was about 12 years ago with a 13 hr brewday on my first decocted Dopplebock. That was only for a measly 5 gallons too.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 09:57:31 am »

Something makes me think your batch sizes are a bit bigger than pours!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2016, 04:03:24 pm »
Mine usually take 5 hrs, but I have a crappy small immersion chiller that takes up most of this time. I also prep water and measure out grains the night before. Start by 8 am, done by 1 pm at the latest, usually. That is also with every last thing cleaned and put away.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 04:30:17 pm »
Today was a typical brew day.  Bring stuff out and set up to everything is cleaned and put away took 5 hours with a 75 min. mash and 75 min. boil and 15 min. hop whirlpool.  6 gallons in the fermenter.  I can live with that.  Only things I do the night before is print out BeerSmith recipe and Brunwater sheet.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 04:32:45 pm by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2016, 05:41:15 pm »
I brew 11 gallons of wort for 10 gallons of beer, and my minimum time is 7 hrs including set up and put away.  I keep thinking I could cut down some time by getting a more efficient kettle than my keggle, but I like using my keggle, and my economical gas-sipping old propane burner with minimal BTU's.

It takes me typically up to 10 hrs with less conventional beers including due to extended mash and/or boil, hop stand, warm season water through my IC, etc.  However I did buy a pond pump to recirculate through a bucket of ice 1/2 way thru the chill.  Haven't tried it yet.

Once this year I doubled my output (2 different beers) in around 10 hrs. (IIRC), using 2 keggles and 2 burners, including an extended mash and boil for one beer.