Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190997 times)

Big Monk

Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2016, 04:53:29 pm »
Are there any free papers or cheap books on LODO brewing?  I'm interested in the chemical reactions that cause oxidation of malt polyphenols etc. but don't want to spend $200 on books by Narziss and Kunze.  Also, if the highlighted passages above from Kunze are any indication he doesn't get into the chemistry of how oxygen causes these reactions.  Does Fix get into the chemistry?  Any free publications?  I acquired a bunch of brewery manuals and Center for Brewing Studies seminar notebooks at an estate sale last year but they are from the late 70's.  They mention possible staling from wort oxidation but also say it is speculative.  Again from the 70's.  I could do a Google search for papers but if you guys know of any it would be appreciated.

If this stuff interests you, Kunze is the best investment you could make, text wise. Hands down. It's the Low O2 bible.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2016, 05:05:01 pm »
Just ordered it: https://www.vlb-berlin.org/kunze - in German. It's expensive as hell and it's gonna kill me :(
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2016, 05:22:11 pm »

Sorry, but it's science, not Kool Aid. Can't say I've noticed it first hand with sacch, though, only in a split batch 'Merica clone where the part with brett added at bottling came to life in a big way. Brett is of course a good o2 scavenger, which helps.
Meant no disrespect with the Kool Aid comment, just different strokes/different folks or rather brewing is equal parts art and science.  I would appreciate your insight into why different yeast strains matter with this.  Completely lost.  I am a huge fan of SO4/Whitbread for ales. 

BBoy: fairly certain the highlighted pages posted are merely the chapter ending bullet points.  I plan to scrounge a little to find a used copy somehow.  I am not easily impressed, but the the posted pages blow my mind.  Reminds me of reading Noonan the first time. 

Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2016, 05:30:05 pm »
Those  books  are over 1K on Amazon.  $200 from the publisher is a little more than I can spend ATM and I can't read German.  I'm finding a little on Google but even the scientific papers are speculative.  I'm sure I'll end up finding good sources scouring the reference pages though it may take a while. 

N. Hashimoto looks promising.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:32:00 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

The Beerery

« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2016, 05:36:31 pm »
Yea with decent googlefu you will get some hits. You won't find any free copies of Kunze though!

The Beerery

« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2016, 05:41:02 pm »
Kunze is available in a variety of languages(English). Narziss is only in German. I have translated Die band 2. I am not copyright savvy, but I think it would be very frowned upon for me to "distribute" that or my personal highlighted and digitized Kunze
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:44:52 pm by The Beerery »

Big Monk

« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2016, 05:46:39 pm »
Kunze is available in English.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2016, 05:46:51 pm »
Sorry, but it's science, not Kool Aid. Can't say I've noticed it first hand with sacch, though, only in a split batch 'Merica clone where the part with brett added at bottling came to life in a big way. Brett is of course a good o2 scavenger, which helps.

For the record, of course biotransformation is a real thing. I'm saying, on the whole,  I don't care for the flavor of biotransformation in beer as much as the clean hop flavors from dry hopping clear beer. Personal preference. I do love Firestone beers and I know that they dry hop in primary, but I like my beers best dry hopped after the yeast has dropped, and also like the longevity of hop character that goes with it (as there is no yeast dropping to drag down hop character with it). That and Vinnie C dry hops clear beer and has been known to make good beer, too.
Jon H.

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2016, 02:57:51 am »

Meant no disrespect with the Kool Aid comment, just different strokes/different folks or rather brewing is equal parts art and science.  I would appreciate your insight into why different yeast strains matter with this.  Completely lost.  I am a huge fan of SO4/Whitbread for ales. 

BBoy: fairly certain the highlighted pages posted are merely the chapter ending bullet points.  I plan to scrounge a little to find a used copy somehow.  I am not easily impressed, but the the posted pages blow my mind.  Reminds me of reading Noonan the first time.
I don't have a great understanding of the chemistry, but there seems to be more to it than the betaglucosidase enzyme, which is more common in brett.
The hop extracts seem like a great idea, although it would be good to find them in smaller doses than this. http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Glycosides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Beerery

Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2016, 06:52:39 am »
Going though some Kunze this morning, this was in stuff I came across. Just some more food for thought!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2016, 11:03:52 am »
Are there any free papers or cheap books on LODO brewing?  I'm interested in the chemical reactions that cause oxidation of malt polyphenols etc. but don't want to spend $200 on books by Narziss and Kunze.  Also, if the highlighted passages above from Kunze are any indication he doesn't get into the chemistry of how oxygen causes these reactions.  Does Fix get into the chemistry?  Any free publications?  I acquired a bunch of brewery manuals and Center for Brewing Studies seminar notebooks at an estate sale last year but they are from the late 70's.  They mention possible staling from wort oxidation but also say it is speculative.  Again from the 70's.  I could do a Google search for papers but if you guys know of any it would be appreciated.

Kunze and other brewing texts might be available through circulation in a large city's public library or a large public library's ability to source the book from other public libraries. If you happen to live near a university with a brewing or food science program then they might have a copy or be able to obtain a copy on loan from another school. (Might have to slip a student a few bucks to make the request for you.)

There is a lot of research ongoing about oxidative reactions in food (not just beer). There are a number of brewing and food science journals out there with published articles on the subject. Generally these publications sit behind paywalls or are on paid databases but public libraries and college libraries tend to have at least some access so you might be able to find more useful information for free or for the cost of a library card.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Big Monk

« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2016, 03:16:30 pm »
There has been such an interest since Bryan made this thread that I'll be putting together a summary of the key process points, equipment concerns and other information concerning Low O2 brewing.

Expect it by the end of this week.

narvin

« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2016, 03:43:18 pm »
Going though some Kunze this morning, this was in stuff I came across. Just some more food for thought!

So, what does this mean?  Obviously Brewtan B is a tannin.  But what excatly would cause polyphenol production in the mash?  Is there more information on this from Kunze?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2016, 03:57:49 pm »
I'm confused, too. Polyclar late in the boil is said to remove haze causing polyphenols which helps flavor stability. Scratching my head.

Edit - Of course Polyclar is added late in boil and not in the mash.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:59:54 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2016, 03:59:17 pm »

So, what does this mean?  Obviously Brewtan B is a tannin.  But what excatly would cause polyphenol production in the mash?  Is there more information on this from Kunze?

Could they be solubulized (sp?) in the mash and leeched from the grain?