Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Brew Years Resolution  (Read 9286 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: My Brew Years Resolution
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 08:46:39 am »
We're planning on moving states in 2018 so my goals for 2017 mostly involve winding down my current brewing and using the ingredients I have on hand without buying much more. I'd rather move beer than grain so I'll have something to drink while getting settled into a new living environment.

My 2017 beers will mostly be dialing in working with my mixed saison culture, brewing a little more spontaneously fermented beers (very early 2017), a few more sour beers and a handful of hoppy beers to exhaust some of the hops in the freezer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 08:56:54 am »
We're planning on moving states in 2018 so my goals for 2017 mostly involve winding down my current brewing and using the ingredients I have on hand without buying much more. I'd rather move beer than grain so I'll have something to drink while getting settled into a new living environment.

My 2017 beers will mostly be dialing in working with my mixed saison culture, brewing a little more spontaneously fermented beers (very early 2017), a few more sour beers and a handful of hoppy beers to exhaust some of the hops in the freezer.

To what region are you moving?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 09:00:47 am »
Mine is to try and turn over my ingredients more efficiently - i.e. not over order when placing orders online. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Peculiar Thomas

• 1st Kit
  • Just a Peculiar Character
    • Of a Peculiar Character
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 09:45:13 am »
My resolution is to brew more and continue to refine my system and my practices. I've already jumped the gun on my usual annual upgrades, adding temperature controllers to my FVs. I am trying to use my past notes and experiences, more, to understand what it is I am trying to accomplish with a recipe, or a change. I would also like to find more ways to share my results, especially since my output is starting to outpace my ability to enjoy and those of my usual recipients of gifts and bottle shares. I am kind of on the fence about more competitions, mostly because I've found it hard enough to schedule my brewing and packaging days without taking an arbitrary submission deadline into account.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 11:48:45 am »
We'd love to hear you Brew Year's resolutions for the podcast!  Call 626.765.1ALE....leave your name and a 15-20 second message about your resolution and it may end up on the show!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 12:10:35 pm »
Getting supply in line with consumption sounds like a good idea.  I'll see you guys in 2030.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 12:30:40 pm »
Mine is to try and turn over my ingredients more efficiently - i.e. not over order when placing orders online.

I actually started doing this last year. I used to buy lots of sacks of different grains all the time simply becuause I like to brew a huge variety of beer styles and I would tailor each recipe to the countries origin for grain usage.
Many times I would end up not finishing the sack fully and waste some of it as I felt it was not as fresh as it possibly could be for brewing.

Now, I just buy enough for a few recipes in advance and make sure that all of the grains get used. Less waste, more beer.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
Stop the damn kegging leaks once and for all.

Try some good chewed up gum for that!

May have solved the problem by throwing out the supercrappy manometer. If confirmed I will enjoy a resolution-free 2017.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2016, 04:35:31 pm »
After about 3 1/2 years of obsessing on brewing, then a few months of stepping back, still brewing but not obsessing... this year I'm going to work on balance.  Brew when I want and what I want, fish when I want, ride my Harley when I want... adding in a dash of gardening, bbqing, noodling around on stringed instruments, camping, checking out the total eclipse etc.

I'm glad I went crazy on brewing and learned what I learned, but now I'm enjoying just enjoying it.

Yes. I took my step back last year and then again this past summer. It's a wonderful hobby, but balance is key. I miss fishing (in fact I didn't buy a license this year), so that's also a goal of mine for next year.
If an obsession exists this year it will probably be fishing. I have both washington and Oregon license, and I recently got into fly fishing. In particular, two handed spey casting Skagit heads, swinging flies for stealhead. So far no fish but at least I've gotten to where I can cast the thing lol. With January coming i am looking forward to the winter runs on the Hood and Washougal.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2016, 05:27:21 pm »
After about 3 1/2 years of obsessing on brewing, then a few months of stepping back, still brewing but not obsessing... this year I'm going to work on balance.  Brew when I want and what I want, fish when I want, ride my Harley when I want... adding in a dash of gardening, bbqing, noodling around on stringed instruments, camping, checking out the total eclipse etc.

I'm glad I went crazy on brewing and learned what I learned, but now I'm enjoying just enjoying it.

Yes. I took my step back last year and then again this past summer. It's a wonderful hobby, but balance is key. I miss fishing (in fact I didn't buy a license this year), so that's also a goal of mine for next year.
If an obsession exists this year it will probably be fishing. I have both washington and Oregon license, and I recently got into fly fishing. In particular, two handed spey casting Skagit heads, swinging flies for stealhead. So far no fish but at least I've gotten to where I can cast the thing lol. With January coming i am looking forward to the winter runs on the Hood and Washougal.

Oh man, you are in some prime location for that!  Lucky man.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2016, 05:30:56 pm »

Oh man, you are in some prime location for that!  Lucky man.

No joke. I'd love to fish up in the PNW. Some day.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2016, 05:38:05 pm »
I got away from fishing for several years but our vacation in Montana this past September rekindled it. I live 5 minutes from a steelhead river that people flock to from all over the planet... so I figured what a waste. Time to take advantage of it

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2016, 07:06:01 pm »
Nice. Montana fishing is sweet. I was casting in the Blackfoot last summer. Caught a 21 inch rainbow, but not in the river. That was a pond. Tried to fish locally this summer but Chicago fishing ain't Montana. And the kids kept me too busy for early early morning fishing. I bought a nice new rod though. Was going for some salmon but oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2016, 08:22:52 pm »
Now that I have a regular rotation of brews throughout the year (after 3 years into brewing), my 2017 brew plans are to experiment with different yeasts and hops and grains for each beer. Will slip in some new brews, too--a Maibock this winter and, next fall, a nut brown ale.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2016, 02:56:57 am »
Nice. Montana fishing is sweet. I was casting in the Blackfoot last summer. Caught a 21 inch rainbow, but not in the river. That was a pond. Tried to fish locally this summer but Chicago fishing ain't Montana. And the kids kept me too busy for early early morning fishing. I bought a nice new rod though. Was going for some salmon but oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome Joe