Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Oxygen Conclusions?  (Read 32797 times)

The Beerery

Re: Low Oxygen Conclusions?
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 06:41:01 am »
Not having used that malt before I can't speak to what it's going to taste like. If you picked up dough in your first one I would say maybe not.
Maybe it's not for you, which is a distinct possibility. Do you taste lingering fresh grain in a beer like bitburger or any mass produced and German?
I've had Bitburger many times and never get "fresh grain" flavor. In Missouri I get 6-month old Bitburger so maybe that's the reason.  I do get fresh grain flavor from Urban Chestnut's Zwickel and Shlafly's Helles, Kolsh and "White Lager."

Crazy in Cans? ITs exploding with fresh grain in cans. I refuse to buy German bottled beer.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 08:13:30 am »
Yes in cans.  I'll have to try it again
Brian
mobrewer

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 08:33:36 am »
+1 on the difference between canned and bottled German beer.    500ml Bitburger and Warsteiner cans are my "go to's" for availability, price and taste. 
By comparison, the Czech Pilsner Urquell is almost double the price. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 09:16:50 am »
Not having used that malt before I can't speak to what it's going to taste like. If you picked up dough in your first one I would say maybe not.
Maybe it's not for you, which is a distinct possibility. Do you taste lingering fresh grain in a beer like bitburger or any mass produced and German?
I've had Bitburger many times and never get "fresh grain" flavor. In Missouri I get 6-month old Bitburger so maybe that's the reason.  I do get fresh grain flavor from Urban Chestnut's Zwickel and Shlafly's Helles, Kolsh and "White Lager."

Crazy in Cans? ITs exploding with fresh grain in cans. I refuse to buy German bottled beer.

If Bitburger in cans is the Holy Grail, then Imfeel pretty good about what I'm doing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2016, 09:40:23 am »

I think we have profoundly different palates if Bitburger is your definition of the perfect tasting beer. Which I respect and admire your dedication to recreating it in your homebrew, but if that's whats LODO is after, it isn't for me.

Big Monk

Low Oxygen Conclusions?
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2016, 10:30:58 am »
The techniques apply to all beers. Saying that Bitburger represents everything the methods are after is short sighted. It's merely a Low Oxygen Pilsner benchmark, much WO for Helles and Jahr for Export.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:37:51 am by Big Monk »

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2016, 10:39:49 am »

I think we have profoundly different palates if Bitburger is your definition of the perfect tasting beer. Which I respect and admire your dedication to recreating it in your homebrew, but if that's whats LODO is after, it isn't for me.
Definitely couldn't be for you. I wouldn't worry about it then. Carry on as usual!
My palate changes so much from "what is the perfect beer", often times I'm happiest with any beer from Weihenstephaner, but I like UK and Belgian styles too, like Boddingtons or Murphy's stout and St. Bernardus ABT12 (sh!t's the mad notes!). Then American styles are sort of a distant 4th. But that's not to say I don't like American styles, I just tend to favor the German and British beers most before anything else. British beers really aren't done low oxygen in a lot of cases, but I could be wrong about that. But I do think that low oxygen would help them and any styles. You may not prefer it though, who knows.
Jesse

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2016, 10:53:59 am »
But I thought LODO was supposed to improve my beer? Why wouldn't it be for me?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2016, 11:22:27 am »

You, like I, obviously prefer crappy beer....;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2016, 11:24:10 am »
Looks like you answered your own question three posts before.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2016, 11:26:26 am »

Come on Denny.  Really?  People on both sides of the LODO argument need to quit doing this.
Brian
mobrewer

Big Monk

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2016, 11:26:27 am »

You're really walking a line here Denny. As a moderator and occasional instigator you seem to have conflicting interests. Of course I better not stir the pot or you'll shut the thread down.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2016, 11:43:50 am »

Come on Denny.  Really?  People on both sides of the LODO argument need to quit doing this.
Completely agree. I'm trying my best to stay on the fence about everything. No reason to pigeon hole oneself.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:45:48 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2016, 11:46:15 am »
Yup. On no other forum that I participate in do I see moderators behaving like this.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2016, 11:47:10 am »

You're really walking a line here Denny. As a moderator and occasional instigator you seem to have conflicting interests. Of course I better not stir the pot or you'll shut the thread down.

Sorry that what I thought was a joke was taken wrong.  As to the other thread, I really liked the way it started off.  When it veered into personal accusations I thought it time to end it.  I can't tell you how many things I haven't posted.....

www.dennybrew.com