Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?  (Read 6478 times)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 11:38:04 am »
Since I live in a city that hosts one of the largest ComiCon events, I guess I'm OK with the new HomebrewCon moniker. I'm used to it.

But ComiCon has the dual-use letter thing going for it:
Code: [Select]
Comic
    Convention

HomebrewCon doesn't:
Code: [Select]
Homebrew
        Convention

It's an abomination!  Just kidding :D.  The name is fine either way (even if it doesn't do the whole dual-user letter thing).  Permission granted.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 11:52:50 am »
It does eliminate some confusion. Now NHC just means the National Homebrew Competition. HomebrewCon can be referred to as HBC, and no confusion.

Edit - I got used to it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 12:07:07 pm »
Fellow homebrewers,
I started this thread not to promote any candidates but to help coordinate the raising of issues/ topics/ actions that can make our hobby better.

You may have seen by now that for good or bad, I am very science-oriented. Cannot help it :-)

What can help me personally and I am sure it would help many other homebrewers is for the GC to facilitate our access to research publications on brewing.
Ideally of course, would be free access to a given journal for AHA members, but more realistically, I think a student membership for AHA members (that are not pro brewers) can be negotiated with most journals.
Examples are :
MBAA technical quarterly
Brauwelt international

There you go.. What do you fellow homebrewers wish to see done that is not part of the commitments of current candidates?

I'm not sure you understand the role of the Governing Committee. While you have a cool idea, it's outside the scope of what we do.
Where is the scope of what you (GC) do defined, Denny?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 03:42:49 pm »
Fellow homebrewers,
I started this thread not to promote any candidates but to help coordinate the raising of issues/ topics/ actions that can make our hobby better.

You may have seen by now that for good or bad, I am very science-oriented. Cannot help it :-)

What can help me personally and I am sure it would help many other homebrewers is for the GC to facilitate our access to research publications on brewing.
Ideally of course, would be free access to a given journal for AHA members, but more realistically, I think a student membership for AHA members (that are not pro brewers) can be negotiated with most journals.
Examples are :
MBAA technical quarterly
Brauwelt international

There you go.. What do you fellow homebrewers wish to see done that is not part of the commitments of current candidates?

I'm not sure you understand the role of the Governing Committee. While you have a cool idea, it's outside the scope of what we do.

The bylaws are downloadable on this page.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 03:54:18 pm »
Fellow homebrewers,

Examples are :
MBAA technical quarterly
Brauwelt international

The bylaws are downloadable on this page.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/
Thanks so much!
After reading, there is nothing in the bylaws that remotely suggests what Denny is stating above.
So again, why exactly the AHA cannot negotiate a discounted access to brewing publications on behalf of homebrewers?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 04:44:49 pm »
well, I don't know about the bylaws and what not - but I'm the ViceChairman of the GC.

The way the GC usually works is we're a sounding board for the plans the AHA is making. For instance, the annual plan is passed by us to get a looksee and sniff. We're also a dedicated volunteer crew that gives extra hands for things like survey analysis, etc.

In the case of the HBC name, that got passed by us as "we're thinking about a name change. What do you think?"

Now, efforts do get introduced by the GC - the insurance program is a great example of that - that's was Crispy and his work to keep driving. For ythe journal idea, it could be introduced by a GC member, but it would be ultimately up to the AHA to figure out how to budget and implement it if it fits into their annual plan. (We would have to convince them that it would be worth the effort)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 04:08:58 am »
well, I don't know about the bylaws and what not - but I'm the ViceChairman of the GC.

The way the GC usually works is we're a sounding board for the plans the AHA is making. For instance, the annual plan is passed by us to get a looksee and sniff. We're also a dedicated volunteer crew that gives extra hands for things like survey analysis, etc.

In the case of the HBC name, that got passed by us as "we're thinking about a name change. What do you think?"

Now, efforts do get introduced by the GC - the insurance program is a great example of that - that's was Crispy and his work to keep driving. For ythe journal idea, it could be introduced by a GC member, but it would be ultimately up to the AHA to figure out how to budget and implement it if it fits into their annual plan. (We would have to convince them that it would be worth the effort)
Thanks Drew for taking time to respond. Indeed it makes sense that for new ideas, the board can only make recommendations and then the AHA will need to allocate resources, human and monetary, to implement them.
At least for what I suggested, Denny is over estimating what it can take.  It is just a phone call to the right person at the journal. You are offering them an additional revenue stream at zero cost to them and a few of us who are interested gain access at the student rate (a clear win-win). The only concern for the journal would be pro-brewer push back but it is not likely.
I can do the phone calls on behalf of the AHA if the AHA gives me permission.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 09:31:25 am »
The only concern for the journal would be pro-brewer push back but it is not likely.

This is a great idea to a geek like me, but I'm not sure that a majority of the general membership would find it valuable. When I was completing my second Masters degree a few years ago, I loved my access to various journals through the University's library. If AHA could get similar access, I would love it. If you have insight as to how libraries and allied organizations get access, your Governing Committee would like to hear it. However, the bottom line is that is limited funding available to things that might have limited appeal to the membership as a whole.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 09:57:16 am »
I bet there are more geeks than we know about that are either current members or could be swayed into becoming a member with this.  Also betting the AHA could survey this and other initiatives among current members, maybe through the Brew Guru, an email link and/or their website. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 11:40:52 am »
The only concern for the journal would be pro-brewer push back but it is not likely.

This is a great idea to a geek like me, but I'm not sure that a majority of the general membership would find it valuable. When I was completing my second Masters degree a few years ago, I loved my access to various journals through the University's library. If AHA could get similar access, I would love it. If you have insight as to how libraries and allied organizations get access, your Governing Committee would like to hear it. However, the bottom line is that is limited funding available to things that might have limited appeal to the membership as a whole.

I am sorry I was not more clear Martin.
There are two things the AHA can do in this regard.
1. Negotiate student subscription rates with journals and associations. For example, student membership to the MBAA is $42 for students vs $142 for pro brewers. This subscription comes with access to their journal and other benefits. Brauwelt international costs Euro 89 for students, and 169 for pros.
The cost to the AHA for this, is practically zero: A couple of phone calls one time.  Indeed, not many homebrewers would use the benefit but some will, and will benefit greatly from these subscriptions.
2. Interlibrary loan and copy services. I completely understand that this is not a realistic expectation as it would require a budget and as Martin and others mentioned, not benefit most of dues-paying AHA members.
So, again, new and upcoming AHA members, can you please discuss it and if you agree, assign a staff member to get the negotiation done.
Cheers,

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 11:50:24 am »
I would be interested in plain English reports citing these articles in zymurgy, but I don't care to read them myself.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 12:20:19 pm »

Electronic subscriptions are one of the largest expenses for university libraries. The subscriptions aren't cheap and likely would not be for AHA  especially when you consider you are buying access for 46,000 members.

I personally would vote against this if it took money from other programs I value more (AHA home brewing rights work, this forum, out reach, NHC, Homebrewcon).

To answer how universities get access: Universities and other organizations often band together in consortia that then subscribe to packages of journals from the various large publishers.

Here is a list of library consortia.
http://icolc.net/consortia

Offline WAbrewer

• 1st Kit
What is your wish list for new Governing Committee members?
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 12:12:08 am »
Most college and university libraries buy subscriptions to journal aggregators/databases, like JSTOR or ProQuest. This is how the majority of academic researchers access journal articles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:56 am »
Thanks so much!
After reading, there is nothing in the bylaws that remotely suggests what Denny is stating above.
So again, why exactly the AHA cannot negotiate a discounted access to brewing publications on behalf of homebrewers?

I didn't mean to say the AHA couldn't.  I said the GC role in it would be limited to nil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 10:56:26 am »

My wife works for a professional association that provides library services for its members, including Interlibrary Loan and journal access. Their dues are about 18 times higher than AHA dues are and they have 4 times as many members...
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.