Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tilt Bluetooth floating hydrometer  (Read 23982 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Tilt Bluetooth floating hydrometer
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2018, 03:15:48 pm »
Hope it works well for you. For me, it did what I wanted it to - gave me a heads up on the approximate gravity for spunding transfer.  Before using one I had no clue how fast it was fermenting (not a fan of taking samples from a glass carboy).

I am, surprisingly to me at least, totally satisfied with it.  I kegged my Tripel yesterday and the Tilt was reading 1.005; my hydrometer was reading 1.007.  That's within the stated accuracy of the device, and totally fine for my purposes.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2018, 08:31:04 pm »
I was a good boy.  Got my first Tilt from Santa a little early.  Haven't used it yet, but calibrated it, and I did several hours of research today to learn how it will behave.  Consensus from at least a half dozen homebrewers or more is that when the krausen sticks to the thing, this causes the FG to read several points lower than it actually is when measured with a traditional hydrometer.  So I'll be looking out for low FG readings from it.  Other than that, most people seem extremely pleased with it.  So I'll be excited to try it out for the first time within the next few days.  It will go either into a Kolsch or a lager -- I'll be splitting a pilsnery batch 50/50 with K-97 & WLP833.  SG in plain water was 1.003 for mine so I've input that correction point.  Temperature though was about right within a degree.  Good enough.

More to come.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2018, 12:47:09 pm »
I was a good boy.  Got my first Tilt from Santa a little early.  Haven't used it yet, but calibrated it, and I did several hours of research today to learn how it will behave.  Consensus from at least a half dozen homebrewers or more is that when the krausen sticks to the thing, this causes the FG to read several points lower than it actually is when measured with a traditional hydrometer.  So I'll be looking out for low FG readings from it.  Other than that, most people seem extremely pleased with it.  So I'll be excited to try it out for the first time within the next few days.  It will go either into a Kolsch or a lager -- I'll be splitting a pilsnery batch 50/50 with K-97 & WLP833.  SG in plain water was 1.003 for mine so I've input that correction point.  Temperature though was about right within a degree.  Good enough.

More to come.
Cool!  I'm enjoying mine still too. 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2018, 02:38:08 pm »
Yea, that lower gravity reading made me wonder, but it gave me the accurate spread between OG and FG, so that and seeing a real time stabilized final gravity without change make it worthwhile.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2019, 08:27:30 am »
Resurrecting this older thread with a question. Just got my first Tilt. I calibrated it in a bucket of tap water. I let it sit overnight to also test the logging which worked fine. When I went to bed it read 1.000. when I woke up, it read 1.010. Interestingly enough, it seemed to be collecting O2 nodules as they came out of solution from the tap water. Could this be part of the phenomena that people are realizing as a "false gravity" reading? I wonder if picks up O2 from Oxygenation. in any event, I found that a tap or 2 on the bucket or fermenter, dislodged whatever was attaching itself to the Tilt. does this seem in line with others experiences?
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2019, 08:50:03 am »
Resurrecting this older thread with a question. Just got my first Tilt. I calibrated it in a bucket of tap water. I let it sit overnight to also test the logging which worked fine. When I went to bed it read 1.000. when I woke up, it read 1.010. Interestingly enough, it seemed to be collecting O2 nodules as they came out of solution from the tap water. Could this be part of the phenomena that people are realizing as a "false gravity" reading? I wonder if picks up O2 from Oxygenation. in any event, I found that a tap or 2 on the bucket or fermenter, dislodged whatever was attaching itself to the Tilt. does this seem in line with others experiences?

Yes you are correct.  I found exactly the same phenomenon.  I collected tap water, then found the container and the Tilt itself covered in little bubbles which I shook off, then had to wait for several hours (like 4-6 hour or overnight), and THEN calibrate the Tilt in order for it to read perfectly.  I think if we used bottled water, we wouldn't need to wait, but out of the tap it comes aerated and needs to off-gas to read correctly.  Once it's done off-gassing, the readings become stable.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

Tilt Bluetooth floating hydrometer
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2019, 05:07:44 pm »
Anyone use this device yet?  What is the review?

http://tilthydrometer.com/products/brewometer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I finally got a round tuit and ordered a Tilt for my birthday. It’ll be fun to play with.

The wife got me a ukulele also, so we’ll see how that goes. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2019, 05:55:26 pm »

The wife got me a ukulele also, so we’ll see how that goes. LOL

Hmm... there really is something going on...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehomebrewersassociation%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D33534%2E0&share_tid=33534&share_fid=40079&share_type=t&link_source=app

expecting duets (at least) in Nashville.

Oh, and happy birthday!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:57:39 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2019, 09:12:56 pm »
Happy Birthday! You can also play at local breweries. They’re always looking for live entertainment.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2019, 07:24:12 am »
Happy birthday Brewbama!  Just don't grow long curly hair and start playing and singing "Tiptoe through the Tulips"!   ;D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2019, 03:15:30 pm »
Well, I have discovered the major fault of the Tilt Hydrometer: a watched pot doesn’t boil. I keep checking the thing expecting this big drop in SG as soon as I witnessed bubbles from the airlock!  LOL

So far... I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2019, 03:55:45 pm »
Found another pit fall: make sure the repeater battery is charged or it dies halfway during a ferment as indicated by the SG not dropping.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2019, 10:44:27 pm »
Found another pit fall: make sure the repeater battery is charged or it dies halfway during a ferment as indicated by the SG not dropping.

Are you storing them vertically? I’m still on my 1st set of batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2019, 06:08:09 am »

Are you storing them vertically? I’m still on my 1st set of batteries.

Ditto.  Lasts a very long time if stored vertically, which is the only way to shut it off and save battery life.
Dave

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2019, 06:42:24 am »
The actual Tilt was not the issue. The batteries are original in it.

Since my BrewBucket is in a refrigerator in the basement, I have a repeater that gives me signal upstairs. The repeater battery is rechargeable. Lesson Learned: use the recharge feature before beginning a new fermentation.