Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No flameout when using whirlpool hops?  (Read 6238 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: No flameout when using whirlpool hops?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 05:10:45 am »
For my IIPA I added all my flavor and aroma hops at 175 this year and WP for 60 minutes and it turned out fantastic.  Cut back on my dry hop additions

What did you do for bittering with whirlpool additions like that? What did you target for a bittering addition?

I just bitter to my targeted BUs at whatever time addition I want. For instance you can add all your bittering addition at 20 minutes and target, say, 50 BUs and then do all your WP hops at 175  if you like.

One of the fun things I have experimented with on the Pico Zymatic is multiple WP hops. For instance, you can have as many WP hop additions at whatever target temp you want. You could target 185 for 60 minutes, then 175 for 60 minutes, then 165 for 60 minutes ad infinitum. Heck you could do an over night hops stand if you wanted. I have played around with some fun stuff like that, problem is it only makes 2.5 gallons at a time.  :-\

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 12:06:33 pm »
For my IIPA I added all my flavor and aroma hops at 175 this year and WP for 60 minutes and it turned out fantastic.  Cut back on my dry hop additions

What did you do for bittering with whirlpool additions like that? What did you target for a bittering addition?

I just bitter to my targeted BUs at whatever time addition I want. For instance you can add all your bittering addition at 20 minutes and target, say, 50 BUs and then do all your WP hops at 175  if you like.

Thanks, Ill be trying this on my next IPA. I havent gone longer than 20 mins nor have I tried adding all of my late hops only as a hop stand for a hoppy beer.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 05:15:56 am »
Whats a typical amount of hops to start with for a 5-6 gal batch of IPA when going with a long whirlpool or hop stand?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 05:20:29 am »
Whats a typical amount of hops to start with for a 5-6 gal batch of IPA when going with a long whirlpool or hop stand?

It depends on your approach. Like I posted, I add all the hops I would normally have added late in the boil to the whirlpool/steep.

Edit -  For me, I add 4-5 oz to steep for APA, 8-10 oz for AIPA (given 5.5 gallons postboil).  Just personal preference.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:11:57 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 06:55:23 am »
My typical whirlpool addition for my house IPA is around 5.5 ounces of hops at 175° for 30 minutes.   For This beer, I do not dry hop.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 07:14:26 am »
My typical whirlpool addition for my house IPA is around 5.5 ounces of hops at 175° for 30 minutes.   For This beer, I do not dry hop.
My approach is similar. I've tried to get away from dry-hopping. The O2 pick up from the dry hop is kind of catch 22. The aroma is hard to replace, but kills my shelf life. The whirlpool kind of puts the beer in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 09:38:44 am »
Sounds good guys, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I was in tbe ballpark, those are amounts I was thinking to start with.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 10:13:18 am »
My approach is similar. I've tried to get away from dry-hopping. The O2 pick up from the dry hop is kind of catch 22. The aroma is hard to replace, but kills my shelf life. The whirlpool kind of puts the beer in the middle.

Working on this.  I don't think it's the O2 at DH but the O2 at kegging.  Me and a few others are having success with ascorbic acid at kegging.  I may also do a blend of SMB/PMB and AA (DIY antiox c https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/antiox-c-10-lb).  From memory PMB/SMB is fast acting and AA is slower so you get best of both worlds.  Also be sure beer is completely bright/crash it prior to dry hop. 

I've tried it many ways and they all work to a degree but I prefer a hot WP for 30m stirred as often as you can (stirring is the key).
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 12:54:29 pm »
Could be the keg too. I'd rather give up a little, and not dry hop. I've thought about the additions though.

Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2017, 12:57:58 pm »
Thanks for that link, interesting product. DIY is probably easier than finding it.

Jeff B