Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I have a couple of questions about Dry Lager Yeast  (Read 5144 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
I have a couple of questions about Dry Lager Yeast
« on: May 20, 2017, 02:50:30 pm »
       Today I brewed an OctoberFest, with an OG of 1.059. I chilled to about 70 and transfered to the fermenter and put in the fridge with a controller set at 55. I have 2 packs of S-23 Saflager.
       I was going to wait till it got to 55 and then pitch hopefully later this evening.
I usually just sprinkle dry ale yeast but I'm wondering if I should rehydrate the yeast since it's a lager.
I also am not sure if I need to aerate the wort, since from what I've read it's not needed with dry yeast.
The only aeration was splashing while draining to the fermenter.  I don't have any way to aerate other then shaking.
      I've read different opinions of the S-23 yeast and didn't really want to use but it was the only dry lager yeast at the shop. If anyone has any first hand tips for this yeast I'd appreciate it. ( And I already know that Denny hates it)

Thanks
Dan

Dan S. from NJ

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: I have a couple of questions about Dry Lager Yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:33:32 pm »
Assuming 5-6 gallons, with two packs, you don't need to rehydrate.  If you want to save and just use one pack, then yes I'd rehydrate.

No aeration required with dry yeast.

It just doesn't get any easier than sprinkling dry yeast and walkin' away.

I've never used the S-23 yet.  Someday I'll probably try it.  I know Denny dislikes it but that wouldn't necessarily stop me!  ;)  Maybe we like it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:05:10 pm »
Thanks for tips, I pitched both packs didn't rehydrate.
I'll try and remember to post the results .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan S. from NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 09:35:59 am »
Assuming 5-6 gallons, with two packs, you don't need to rehydrate.  If you want to save and just use one pack, then yes I'd rehydrate.

No aeration required with dry yeast.

It just doesn't get any easier than sprinkling dry yeast and walkin' away.

I've never used the S-23 yet.  Someday I'll probably try it.  I know Denny dislikes it but that wouldn't necessarily stop me!  ;)  Maybe we like it.

I know people who have made great beers with it.  I know people who have had experiences as bad as mine with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:39:28 am »
I've use S-23 many times for California Commons.I ferment around 60 F, and I love it. For lagers I prefer S-189.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 02:12:35 pm »
I've use S-23 many times for California Commons.I ferment around 60 F, and I love it. For lagers I prefer S-189.

I have it set at 55, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 03:26:25 pm »
I have used S-23 twice and dislike it very much.  I used it at lager fermentation temperature (50°F), so maybe fermenting warmer is the trick.  But with so many good lager yeasts out there, I will never find out. :D

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 03:32:49 pm »
I won a club competition with S-23 in a Tropical Stout.  Really brought out the fruitiness sought after in the style. ;D
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:43:26 pm »
I have used S-23 twice and dislike it very much.  I used it at lager fermentation temperature (50°F), so maybe fermenting warmer is the trick.  But with so many good lager yeasts out there, I will never find out. :D

It couldn't have been much worse than WLP820... could it?  WLP820 is a great yeast... if you like really long lag times, and to always finish at like 1.022, or maybe 1.020 if you're real lucky.  :o  For that reason I've been saying for probably the past 10 years already, any other lager yeast on the planet is better.  Perhaps S-23 is in a similar bucket.  But I've been so happy with Wyeast 2308 that I just haven't brought myself to try much else yet.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 05:25:14 pm »

It couldn't have been much worse than WLP820... could it?  WLP820 is a great yeast... if you like really long lag times, and to always finish at like 1.022, or maybe 1.020 if you're real lucky.  :o  For that reason I've been saying for probably the past 10 years already, any other lager yeast on the planet is better.  Perhaps S-23 is in a similar bucket.  But I've been so happy with Wyeast 2308 that I just haven't brought myself to try much else yet.

I don't have any attenuation issues with S-23. Last batch (on tap now) attenuated at 76% down to 1.012.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 08:09:23 pm »
The issue I have with S-23 is not attenuation, it is fruity esters production that are totally inappropriate in a lager. I once brewed a pilsner with it that tasted like passion fruit.  And not just a hint, totally overwhelming.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 06:03:00 am »
Sorry, I didn't mean to say anything about the attenuation of S-23.
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 09:20:18 am »

Remember the BVIp you sent me that was made with S-23?  It was pretty good, but the deficiencies of the yeast worked pretty well for it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 10:52:24 am »

Remember the BVIp you sent me that was made with S-23?  It was pretty good, but the deficiencies of the yeast worked pretty well for it.

Yep.  Nothing like a little bourbon and vanilla to mask the S-23 taste.

And, I am sure it would be the go-to yeast for making a tropical stout.  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 01:20:11 pm »
Yep.  Nothing like a little bourbon and vanilla to mask the S-23 taste.

And, I am sure it would be the go-to yeast for making a tropical stout.  ;)

Yes to both!

www.dennybrew.com