Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spotted Cow Water profile  (Read 7546 times)

Offline Stepp2

• Cellarman
Spotted Cow Water profile
« on: May 30, 2017, 05:52:38 pm »
I'm attempting to crack the code on the Spotted Cow recipe. Got close with a 3rd place ribbon at the DelMar fair in cream ale cat. Recipe is all over the net.
I figure my last adjustment is water. I'm using RO water now and hoping someone has the New Glarus water profile or something close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Beerery

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 06:17:42 pm »
I have THE ACTUAL recipe from Dan Carey. There is no corn in the beer anymore.  Soft water. He runs a RHB compliant German brewhouse.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Spotted Cow Water profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 07:34:46 pm »
I have THE ACTUAL recipe from Dan Carey. There is no corn in the beer anymore.  Soft water. He runs a RHB compliant German brewhouse.

Wawawaaaaa?!?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:45:12 pm »

Riiiiiiight.............. Even if you do have the real recipe, I'm sure Dan doesn't want you talking about it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

The Beerery

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:47:54 pm »

Riiiiiiight.............. Even if you do have the real recipe, I'm sure Dan doesn't want you talking about it.

You think I would lie about something like that? 

Or is the riiiiiiiiiight in regards to something else?

Big Monk

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:19:14 pm »

It's true and besides, you should know better to assume that a recipe gives you the beer.

To the OP: take the soft water advice on this one. It came straight from the brewmaster.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
It's true and besides, you should know better to assume that a recipe gives you the beer.

To the OP: take the soft water advice on this one. It came straight from the brewmaster.

I do know better.  Just don't think Dan feels the same way.

FWIW, I would agree that I think they use soft water.  Should have said that on the other post.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

The Beerery

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 08:54:57 pm »
I would never disseminate the recipe. Only things he would tell someone who would email him.

And to that he would say.  " spotted cow is no longer brewed with corn or flaked barley. It is brewed RHG compliant as it's easier.  It's NOT a cream ale. "

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 04:55:18 am »
These guys have both flaked barley and maize in their "clone"

http://www.northernbrewer.com/speckled-heifer-all-grain-kit

Interesting the brewer says he follows RHG. Say that here and you get slapped. LOL

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:57:59 am by BrewBama »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 06:28:55 am »
Interesting the brewer says he follows RHG. Say that here and you get slapped. LOL

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.
Dave

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 06:44:22 am »
These guys have both flaked barley and maize in their "clone"

http://www.northernbrewer.com/speckled-heifer-all-grain-kit

Note that it says "no longer" In what was posted about the recipe.

Hey, they make a Strawberry Rhubarb beer, among other beers that use fruit, so RHG compliant? Or is that only the Hill top brewery?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 07:27:11 am »
Possible dyslexic brain-fart of Dan Carey vs. Dan Gordon of Gordon Biersch?  I don't recall whether Dan Gordon is strict with RHG but I think it's likely.
Dave

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 07:43:10 am »
Interesting. On their website they say that it's brewed with flaked barley, but no mention of corn (which I know there used to be).

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 07:54:40 am »
Heh.... sounds like another case of "do whatever the heck you think is right".  They won't tell us the recipe and even issue conflicting reports of what's in, not in, used to be in, no longer in......... so obviously it just doesn't much matter.... People will buy it no matter what because it's New Glarus.  Way overhyped mediocre beer IMO, nothing special about it except it's a little hazy, ooh, ahh, lure in the masses of hipsters this way, drink local, only available in Wisconsin, yadda yadda.  It's genius the way they've got us wrapped.

I do think they use soft water.  But no one really knows, except maybe for the chosen few.  If anyone is interested, I know exactly how to look up the municipal water quality in New Glarus, I know how to do that, I gave the Green Bay Rackers many of the water numbers reported on their website.  But it's not to say that the municipal water is necessarily the raw water they use either.  They probably treat it somehow.

Cheers all.
Dave

Big Monk

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 08:15:47 am »
To the OP: use soft water not because anyone on this forum says so but because Dan Carey, the brewmaster and seemingly all around nice guy from New Glarus, says so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro