Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Decided not to ask my brewing question on AHA  (Read 7316 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Decided not to ask my brewing question on AHA
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2017, 06:26:53 pm »
Well we have officially had our late spring airing of the grievances. Maybe we can just copy and paste this entire thread sometime around Labor Day.

Big Monk

Decided not to ask my brewing question on AHA
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2017, 06:53:00 pm »
I have become a complete lurker. These days I'm mostly interested in low oxygen techniques, because I have the impression that they improve my beers a lot. Unfortunately for me this is not a safe place to discuss them, so I have to go elsewhere.

That's interesting to me, because from my perspective I feel often I can't post something about my particular brewing techniques without them being critiqued (usually negatively) by  one or two members of the "lodo nazis" ... as it were.

Does it happen sometimes the other way around? Yep. Sure does. No doubt about that. But look at it from another perspective: The AHA forum is a forum dedicated to every level of homebrewing. But when a certain crowd comes in and argues with experienced and even award winning brewers that their brewing methods are subpar based on another method, that starts to get old real quick. And it works to drive new brewers away. And even experienced brewers who want to discuss topics without endless bickering.

There are certain approaches to brewing that certainly make huge improvements to anyone's beer. And those have been the items we have all been trying to steer new brewers toward when they ask questions. But when one or two members of the forum come in and start to derail threads based on methods that, well let's just be honest .... haven't quite worked for everyone ... then it drives everyone away.

Not everyone who wants to attempt to brew beer needs a master's degree in chemistry. And not every little nuance that is insisted upon is going to make award winning beer.

Some of us feel you can still make great beer with a copper wort chiller. ;)

Nazis? As someone who was on the other side of the whole Low Oxygen thing, and who used the term "Lager Nazis" to describe them, I can say from experience: it's a dick move.

Oh give me a break. We talk about people being "style nazis" all the time. The LODO "fanatics" sounds better? YOu guys are convinced that your method is the only method that makes great beer. And that is great! But the way some of you try to act as if it is the ONLY way to make great beer makes it over the top. And is the reason we have people afraid to post here. And, obviously, it goes both ways as far as arguments goes. ((In other words, people arguing with you about your methods.)

Now, calling people "dicks" approaches "banable" offenses.

I'm sure the ban button is hot keyed right next to the thread lock button. You can't ban somebody for calling you a dick after you called them a Nazi!

It sucks that people don't want to post anymore because of nonsense on this forum. I've gone away from this forum a few times before: one time self inflicted and the other after coming to grips with the initial presentation of my current brewing methods.

There have been some derails lately and I realize that gets frustrating. I get what you are saying and as unfortunate as it is, thems is the breaks. You are adults. If words posted by people you don't know from Adam cause you to refrain from posting words, I don't know what to tell you. Don Corleone says it best:

We may be, as Denny put it earlier, the niche group of the niche group, but intermediate to advanced home brewers are what comprise this forum. Let's not pretend that we don't make up the majority here. If someone says something out of line or that you don't think applies, don't respond! It's as simple as that. Let's face it: The people brewing extract batches a few times a year don't give a crap about a bunch of beer nerds on the AHA Forum. What does that leave? A bunch of people getting bent out of shape for what? Someone says something you interpret as not being warm and fuzzy?
If you post something and it gets out of hand? Man up! Get everyone in line. Don't delete your post! Tell people to chill!

I stress: this is beer talk on the internet!

If someone said upfront that they didn't want me to post on a thread, I'd oblige. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's good time on this forum. Also, if someone said to me, "Hey, interesting info but it's not what I'm looking for...", I'd be fine with that too. It's sad that that's the state of affairs but I'm not trying to make it a bummer for the average poster.

I'm willing to eat crow any day of the week if it means I can make better beer and I've got a thick skin. Remember where I was at over a year ago? There are some people on here who, through pride or what have you, could NEVER do that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:03:41 pm by Big Monk »

The Beerery

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2017, 07:03:32 pm »
Bryan, you are, as always, way over the top. Here's your very first post on this thread

"Don't play the victim here Denny. Since the DAY we brought information about oxidation forward you have been hellbent on trying to disprove modern brewing science."

I disagree with Denny all the time. About a good bunch of things. And never feel the need to respond to him that way. Not toward him or anyone else. You are the one with the vendetta, not me.

If you want to play the "you represent the AHA" card, fine. Go ahead. Modding this forum is not something I do for reward. If the AHA wants to remove me as mod I will step down.

Respond to him in what way, asking questions?

I see him saying it goes both ways all the time, but the mods tones never change. 

Keith I know for a fact you guys mock us in private, so when you come out in public and act innocent I know it's just not right and people should be informed.

I am not "seeking" anything but putting out the real and proper information that is always backed up with either analysis or experience or both. I have no book deals or podcasts, or monetary endorsements not would I ever accept them if they came about. It's not my bag. Hell I am just a hack trying to piece stuff together anyways.  Everything I am doing to help spread the knowledge is COSTING me money! How stupid am I!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2017, 07:19:21 pm »
Well we have officially had our late spring airing of the grievances. Maybe we can just copy and paste this entire thread sometime around Labor Day.

Word.This thread needs a TL,DR.

Before I post, I ask if my post adds anything to the discussion. If it doesn't, I either change it, or don't post. I don't believe in leaving out some level of "details" when offering explanations to beginners, as I feel it's a surefire way to cripple them later. (I've had too many college professors do this. I pay them to teach me, for crying out loud...)

Anyway, I agree, it's all in how things are posted. And I do think the Low Oxygen folks have done the most to try and improve: Compare all this to how things went way back when when all this was originally presented.

Honestly, the only reason I'm still here and haven't completely moved to their forum is not all my brewing is low oxygen.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2017, 07:25:24 pm »
Bryan, you are, as always, way over the top. Here's your very first post on this thread

"Don't play the victim here Denny. Since the DAY we brought information about oxidation forward you have been hellbent on trying to disprove modern brewing science."

I disagree with Denny all the time. About a good bunch of things. And never feel the need to respond to him that way. Not toward him or anyone else. You are the one with the vendetta, not me.

If you want to play the "you represent the AHA" card, fine. Go ahead. Modding this forum is not something I do for reward. If the AHA wants to remove me as mod I will step down.

I see him saying it goes both ways all the time, but the mods tones never change. 

Keith I know for a fact you guys mock us in private, so when you come out in public and act innocent I know it's just not right and people should be informed.

I am not "seeking" anything but putting out the real and proper information that is always backed up with either analysis or experience or both. I have no book deals or podcasts, or monetary endorsements not would I ever accept them if they came about. It's not my bag. Hell I am just a hack trying to piece stuff together anyways.  Everything I am doing to help spread the knowledge is COSTING me money! How stupid am I!

lol mocked you in private. OMG that is so hysterical. You are very paranoid. The last 20 PMs I got from Denny was me being included in removing SPAM posts to unfortunate advertisers. I can assure you that I have never discussed you in private. Actually, I probably did in the mod forum well over  a year ago. I actually think you bring positive info to the forum. But you have a terrible attitude and awful presentation.

And as far as the "nazi" thing goes I do apologize. Zealots would have been better term. The "style nazi" idea is just such homebrew lexicon.

I don't apologize for calling you out for your behavior though. Stop it!

The Beerery

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2017, 07:47:23 pm »

lol mocked you in private. OMG that is so hysterical. You are very paranoid. The last 20 PMs I got from Denny was me being included in removing SPAM posts to unfortunate advertisers. I can assure you that I have never discussed you in private. Actually, I probably did in the mod forum well over  a year ago. I actually think you bring positive info to the forum. But you have a terrible attitude and awful presentation.

And as far as the "nazi" thing goes I do apologize. Zealots would have been better term. The "style nazi" idea is just such homebrew lexicon.

Doesn't matter the words you use, your hate filled posts towards me shows your true meaning.

Every time I post are you going to continue insult me?

I would appreciate if you stopped. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2017, 07:48:27 pm »

Word.This thread needs a TL,DR.

Before I post, I ask if my post adds anything to the discussion. If it doesn't, I either change it, or don't post. I don't believe in leaving out some level of "details" when offering explanations to beginners, as I feel it's a surefire way to cripple them later. (I've had too many college professors do this. I pay them to teach me, for crying out loud...)

Anyway, I agree, it's all in how things are posted. And I do think the Low Oxygen folks have done the most to try and improve: Compare all this to how things went way back when when all this was originally presented.

Honestly, the only reason I'm still here and haven't completely moved to their forum is not all my brewing is low oxygen.
Same. I honestly pass on many questions because I don't feel I have the time to answer it well enough and add value to the OP.

Now humor is like Jello. There's always room for humor.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2017, 07:58:06 pm »

Doesn't matter the words you use, your hate filled posts towards me shows your true meaning.

Every time I post are you going to continue insult me?

I would appreciate if you stopped. 

Hate filled posts ....

You are the one with the vendetta. Your actions are evident. I'm done with this conversation.

The Beerery

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2017, 08:20:11 pm »
I don't know why you choose to stick on this.  You don't have a reference. That post was addressed Denny. Denny reached out to many people/boards, like Horst dornbush for example.. to try and get rebuttals and mockery.  I am sure Denny can speak to the exact details.
No vendetta, no hate fueled, just facts....like always.

I will be fine with bygones and all that, I am not fine however with 2 face  and ulterior motive stuff.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2017, 08:36:41 pm »
Thanks. I think posterity has spoken for itself. Gonna lock this one down.