Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The approaching darkness  (Read 9416 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
The approaching darkness
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:29:45 am »
   Just an out of curiosity survey, how many forum folks are planning on viewing the eclipse next Monday, how many are planning on travelling to see it, and how far will those people be traveling?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: The approaching darkness
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:37:58 am »
I'm staying local. I think we are getting 97% where we are and that is good enough for me. I did order the eclipse glasses which should arrive later this week.

Western NC is expecting a ridiculous amount of traffic next week and hotel rooms are booked solid. What is interesting is I booked a hotel starting on Tuesday at the beginning of the year for a work related trip. No issues at all then.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:44:04 am »
arranged a quick flight Friday to judge/drink at Beer&Sweat, travelling through KC so I could visit Amanda and Amy and see the eclipse upon my return.  Gotta make the most of those vacation days. Just driving slightly north of town.  Unless it looks like we're screwed by weather or traffic - this is important to me, but not sit-in-gridlock-for-10-hours important.

Let me just say that if you're within a couple hours driving of totality and have the ability to get off work, and the weather looks good, I'd take the opportunity.  99% and shadows will change a bit. 99.9% and you're still seeing something like 1000x as much light as the full moon.  There are plenty of cool effects in the edge region of totality in that <30 seconds.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:49:43 am by udubdawg »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:56:31 am »
Back in 1999 I saw the one that traversed Europe. I was working in Germany at the time. We lucked out and the clouds dissipated about 5 minutes before the diamond ring. It was one of the most awe inspiring and fantastic natural phenomena I have seen. Traffic afterwards was a nightmare.

So we can't miss another. My wife decided we should go to eastern Wyoming, high plains, low precipitation. We will meet friends from CO in Cheyenne. Drive up to a ranch that has a field set aside for 300. It is off the interstates, so hopefully the secondary roads will not be a problem. We are going to relax afterwards, and visit. Once traffic has thinned, we can drive back to Cheyenne for the night.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:15:49 am »
   Just an out of curiosity survey, how many forum folks are planning on viewing the eclipse next Monday, how many are planning on travelling to see it, and how far will those people be traveling?

I'm heading to Mecca Grade Estate Malt in Madras in eastern Oregon.  They're having an event with 400 mostly industry folk, catered food, bands, and free beer and whiskey.  We do a time share with our neighbors on a small RV so that's what I'm using.  Heading over on Sat. and back on Tues.  It's about 185 mi. each way.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:56:35 am »
My wife decided we should go to eastern Wyoming, high plains, low precipitation. We will meet friends from CO in Cheyenne. Drive up to a ranch that has a field set aside for 300. It is off the interstates, so hopefully the secondary roads will not be a problem. We are going to relax afterwards, and visit. Once traffic has thinned, we can drive back to Cheyenne for the night.

I have friends who will be like a mile above your heads.  Perks of working for an aircraft company.  Good luck my friend!

cheers--
--Michael

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:21 am »
My wife decided we should go to eastern Wyoming, high plains, low precipitation. We will meet friends from CO in Cheyenne. Drive up to a ranch that has a field set aside for 300. It is off the interstates, so hopefully the secondary roads will not be a problem. We are going to relax afterwards, and visit. Once traffic has thinned, we can drive back to Cheyenne for the night.

I have friends who will be like a mile above your heads.  Perks of working for an aircraft company.  Good luck my friend!

cheers--
--Michael

+1 There are people who chase eclipses all over the world.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 11:17:47 am »
We're camping in Western NC. Hoping that the more populated areas to the west and east draw more of those traveling, the area we'll be trying to view from is rural.

I won't be terribly disappointed if it's cloudy either, I just want to see it get dark during the middle of the day.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 03:16:47 pm »
I plan on viewing it. I'll be walking about 4 or 5 paces out my backdoor. We're supposed to have 99% coverage here.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 03:36:44 pm »
Did you know that the shadow will be crossing America at about 1800 MPH?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 05:14:45 pm »
Back in 1999 I saw the one that traversed Europe. I was working in Germany at the time. We lucked out and the clouds dissipated about 5 minutes before the diamond ring. It was one of the most awe inspiring and fantastic natural phenomena I have seen. Traffic afterwards was a nightmare.

So we can't miss another. My wife decided we should go to eastern Wyoming, high plains, low precipitation. We will meet friends from CO in Cheyenne. Drive up to a ranch that has a field set aside for 300. It is off the interstates, so hopefully the secondary roads will not be a problem. We are going to relax afterwards, and visit. Once traffic has thinned, we can drive back to Cheyenne for the night.
   I read an article today that said WyDOT and the HyPo's think the State's population could double over the event, Casper's population could triple. My house is less than 15 miles from centerline of the totality, so if traffic is crazy I don't really need to go anywhere to watch it, unless I feel a need to partake a dose of Bedlam.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 05:21:40 pm »
I am working so I am not planning to go anywhere to see it. I am just going to play Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in my office.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:02 pm »

I read an article today that said WyDOT and the HyPo's think the State's population could double over the event, Casper's population could triple. My house is less than 15 miles from centerline of the totality, so if traffic is crazy I don't really need to go anywhere to watch it, unless I feel a need to partake a dose of Bedlam.

The wife said that estimates were that 600k would be going from the Froint Range to WY and NE.

We plan on treating the day like our Indy 500 days. Get up and hit the road really early. Get in place. Hang out. Watch the show. Hang out. Drive back to the accommodation. The big difference will be instead of a 3 hour race, it will be more like the Kentucky Derby in duration.

Casper has an astronomers convention. Prices were sky high 6 months ago.

I recommend that you try and see as much as you can. We are at about 130 seconds at the ranch. I might see what a walk will get us in added time. There are apps for that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 08:27:45 pm »
I am working so I am not planning to go anywhere to see it. I am just going to play Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in my office.
Mrs. R is packing a bottle of Heart of Darkness. This is that special time to drink the good stuff!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 08:42:37 pm »

The wife said that estimates were that 600k would be going from the Froint Range to WY and NE.

We plan on treating the day like our Indy 500 days. Get up and hit the road really early. Get in place. Hang out. Watch the show. Hang out. Drive back to the accommodation. The big difference will be instead of a 3 hour race, it will be more like the Kentucky Derby in duration.

Casper has an astronomers convention. Prices were sky high 6 months ago.

I recommend that you try and see as much as you can. We are at about 130 seconds at the ranch. I might see what a walk will get us in added time. There are apps for that.
   What is the closest "town" to the ranch where you will be? Be aware that 25 will be buried in green license plates heading south for several hours after the eclipse, perhaps until well after dark-thirty. It wouldn't hurt to have a back-up plan involving hunkering down for an impromptu camp-out.
   Casper's C of C has been aware of and working towards this event for more than 2 years, out here in BFE we're not quite that organized.
   I personally doubt that we'll see quite as many visitors as the experts are planning for, but the civil authorities job is to be ready for the worst case scenario, so I commend them this time for being prepared.
   One word of caution for visitors who are normally dependent on techno devices - if your GPS tells you to turn off the highway onto a 2 track because that's the highway you want - don't believe the machine. If you don't know how to navigate off of a paper map, ask directions from a human. Leave your devices in the trunk.