Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rochefort 6 clone  (Read 10409 times)

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
Rochefort 6 clone
« on: January 21, 2018, 07:33:28 am »
Does anyone know anything about this beer? Is it scaled down directly from the 8 or does the recipe vary between the strengths? I found this 8 clone from Herman Holtrop but nothing on rochefort 6.

70.4 2375 grams Pilsnermalt (Belgian)
11.1 375 grams Caramunich 120 EBC
1.5 50 grams Carafa special dehusked 800 EBC
3.7 125 grams Special "B"
3.7 125 grams Flaked Corn
9.6 325 grams Dark Candysugar

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Rochefort 6 clone
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:38:11 am »
I believe that's Denny Conn's recipe for Rochefort 8.

I'm not certain if the 6 and the 8 use the same grist but I imagine it's possible.  They might use different yeasts or fiddle with fermentation temperatures or something too.  I'll go look it up in BLAM and see if there's anything in there....

Update: BLAM (Brew Like A Monk) states that the grain bills are about the same for 6, 8, and 10, with extra malt and sugars in the 8 and 10.  The difference, then, is likely a bit less malt and maybe little or no dark candi syrup.  Rochefort 6 is also stated as 20 SRM versus Rochefort 8 having 32 SRM, and 1.072 vs. 1.078, which seems to support this.  So, maybe use the same recipe but aim for the specified OG of 1.072 with no dark candi and 20 SRM and see where that gets you.  If you need to reduce color further to hit 20 SRM, I might take out some of the Carafa, but leave the rest alone.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:53:11 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 01:05:20 pm »

I'm not certain if the 6 and the 8 use the same grist but I imagine it's possible.  They might use different yeasts or fiddle with fermentation temperatures or something too.  I'll go look it up in BLAM and see if there's anything in there....

Update: BLAM (Brew Like A Monk) states that the grain bills are about the same for 6, 8, and 10, with extra malt and sugars in the 8 and 10.  The difference, then, is likely a bit less malt and maybe little or no dark candi syrup.  Rochefort 6 is also stated as 20 SRM versus Rochefort 8 having 32 SRM, and 1.072 vs. 1.078, which seems to support this.  So, maybe use the same recipe but aim for the specified OG of 1.072 with no dark candi and 20 SRM and see where that gets you.  If you need to reduce color further to hit 20 SRM, I might take out some of the Carafa, but leave the rest alone.

Good luck.

A 6 still needs the syrup for fermentability
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 01:07:14 pm »
Have a look also at the Rochefort 4 discussion : https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26158.0
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 01:55:19 pm »

Good luck.

Thank you good sir.

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 07:07:23 am »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yxx7uoaTkruTFZT02

I hope you can blow this up enough to read it clearly. It is the daily batch sheet from Rochefort, taken on the day of our visit, 15 October. 2006. Gumar was brewing 6 that day.

Big Monk

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 07:18:50 am »

I hope you can blow this up enough to read it clearly. It is the daily batch sheet from Rochefort, taken on the day of our visit, 15 October. 2006. Gumar was brewing 6 that day.

Oh snap.

Google Translate will be working for me today...

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 07:20:51 am »

Are you able to upload the full-sized image? It will have a larger file size and higher pixel count. It's hard to magnify the smaller pixelated version.

Big Monk - please post what you transcribe.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:24:14 am »
type    6
malt    1750 kg
amidon (starch) 225 kg
cassonade (brown sugar)   300 kg
pure malt    4L
Hallertau 2.5 kg
Styrian Golding 2.5 kg
Coriander 1 kg
Phosphoric acid    1 L

Remarks: calcium 6 degrees

temperature    25C
Pression (pressure)    1,5 bar
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:26:21 am by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 07:25:45 am »
Amidon = wheat flour flakes

Pure malt = ??? - http://www.puremalt.com/ingredients/brewing???
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:29:07 am by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Big Monk

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 07:40:43 am »
type    6
malt    1750 kg
amidon (starch) 225 kg
cassonade (brown sugar)   300 kg
pure malt    4L
Hallertau 2.5 kg
Styrian Golding 2.5 kg
Coriander 1 kg
Phosphoric acid    1 L

Remarks: calcium 6 degrees

temperature    25C
Pression (pressure)    1,5 bar

The Belgian for the win!

Given what I recall about their size, and that they list 60 under hl volume, i'd wager that is a 60 ppm for calcium. I may be wrong though.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:44:46 am by Big Monk »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 07:59:18 am »
Given what I recall about their size, and that they list 60 under hl volume, i'd wager that is a 60 ppm for calcium. I may be wrong though.

I read twice 6° which means 6 degrees, the type of beer.
Frank P.

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 08:06:04 am »

I read twice 6° which means 6 degrees, the type of beer.

True. Reading a little more it shows that their brew length is 100 hl for the 6 and 8, so it's unlikely they reduced by 40% just for that day.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 08:31:20 am »
Fascinating..... the so-called "Pure Malt" appears to be like an Amber LME!?  Maybe used for color adjustment as well as for gravity adjustment?  Hmm.

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 08:34:24 am »
Fascinating..... the so-called "Pure Malt" appears to be like an Amber LME!?  Maybe used for color adjustment as well as for gravity adjustment?  Hmm.

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing!

I ran the percentages and it only accounts for about 0.24% of the total fermentables so I would say it has to be some sort of color adjustment.

Makes sense considering that there is only Pils, Wheat starch/flour, and Cassonade (brown sugar) listed. It is probably a really dark malt syrup.

This may be a candidate:

http://www.puremalt.com/ingredients/brewing/rb1500_40

I'm going to run some numbers now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:36:28 am by Big Monk »