Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer  (Read 19316 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer
« on: February 03, 2018, 04:25:54 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I still drink them from time to time. I have a keg on right now. But here's my top reasons.

1) You can't "downshift" meaning: If you drink an IPA the only thing you can really enjoy the rest of the night is hoppy beers. Hops just destroy your pallet. Go try drinking a nice German Dunkel after a hoppy IPA. You can't really enjoy it. OTOH if you drink a dunkel you can switch to pils, or doppelbock or barley wine or .... even IPA!

2) ANYTHING will make them taste odd. I had chapped lips. I put on some chapstick. Tried to drink an IPA and could not get my head around what I was tasting - just tasted bad. Or the time I brought some "Italian Ices" into the brewery. Went to taste an IPA and was like "WTF is wrong with this". Had to ban italian ice after that.

3) Shelf life.

4) Pain in the add to brew. Probably not as much of a problem on the home brew level. Dissolved o2 is an issue in how you add the dry hops though (see #3).

5) Hazy IPAs are annoying.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:32:53 pm by majorvices »

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 04:54:06 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I still drink them from time to time. I have a keg on right now. But here's my top reasons.

1) You can't "downshift" meaning: If you drink an IPA the only thing you can really enjoy the rest of the night is hoppy beers. Hops just destroy your pallet.
Go try drinking a nice German Dunkel after a hoppy IPA. You can't really enjoy it. OTOH if you drink a dunkel you can switch to pils, or doppelbock or barley wine or .... even IPA!

2) ANYTHING will make them taste odd. I had chapped lips. I put on some chapstick. Tried to drink an IPA and could not get my head around what I was tasting - just tasted bad. Or the time I brought some "Italian Ices" into the brewery. Went to taste an IPA and was like "WTF is wrong with this". Had to ban italian ice after that.

3) Shelf life.

4) Pain in the add to brew. Probably not as much of a problem on the home brew level. Dissolved o2 is an issue in how you add the dry hops though (see #3).

5) Hazy IPAs are annoyinghard to make well.

Fixed it for you!

I think spicy food is kind of the same way sometimes.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:55:29 pm »
It was during the San Diego AHA conference that I realized that I didn't really enjoy IPA that much. In that town with virtually nothing but IPA's available, it was hard to seek a craft alternative.

I still enjoy a nice IPA occassionally, but it's long past a position of 'go to'.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:02:53 pm »
Come on everybody, let's here the chant: Pils! Pils! Pils! ....
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 07:03:27 pm »

1) You can't "downshift" meaning: If you drink an IPA the only thing you can really enjoy the rest of the night is hoppy beers. Hops just destroy your pallet.
Go try drinking a nice German Dunkel after a hoppy IPA. You can't really enjoy it. OTOH if you drink a dunkel you can switch to pils, or doppelbock or barley wine or .... even IPA!

3) Shelf life.

5) Hazy IPAs are annoyinghard to make well.

Fixed it for you!

I think spicy food is kind of the same way sometimes.

Buddy I got friends in the industry that are making the "best".... according to users and awards.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 07:04:37 pm »

I lead a team of brewers who are chanting for peanut butter beers and hazy IPAs ... and I'm like, you haven't even brewed a good kolsch or pils yet.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 07:18:30 pm »

I lead a team of brewers who are chanting for peanut butter beers and hazy IPAs ... and I'm like, you haven't even brewed a good kolsch or pils yet.

Peanut butter beers are all over Central IL, no idea why. Went on a bus trip to a few breweries, almost every place had a peanut butter porter or stout.

Lucky for you on the availability, hazy ipa's seems like a real hit or miss style.

I haven't tasted a lot of kolsches that are satisfying, a lot better luck with satisfying pilsners. Any thoughts on why that is?

Final thought: I honestly have also been shifting of IPAs, but mostly because I've found a place with an amazing Norwegian Farmhouse Ale.

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:19:01 pm »

And as a side peeve:  You think hazy IPAs are annoying? How come whenever I DO see a brewery (major ones even) putting out a Pils, it's not crystal clear?  Get you $#!+ together, craft brewers, step up like a real brewery.  I now return you to your regularly scheduled fray.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 07:32:00 pm »

Peanut butter beers are all over Central IL, no idea why. Went on a bus trip to a few breweries, almost every place had a peanut butter porter or stout.

Lucky for you on the availability, hazy ipa's seems like a real hit or miss style.

I haven't tasted a lot of kolsches that are satisfying, a lot better luck with satisfying pilsners. Any thoughts on why that is?

Final thought: I honestly have also been shifting of IPAs, but mostly because I've found a place with an amazing Norwegian Farmhouse Ale.
You can hide a mediocre beer behind crap tons of hops. You can’t hide a bad pils.....if it’s bad it screams bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 07:34:22 pm »

And as a side peeve:  You think hazy IPAs are annoying? How come whenever I DO see a brewery (major ones even) putting out a Pils, it's not crystal clear?  Get you $#!+ together, craft brewers, step up like a real brewery.  I now return you to your regularly scheduled fray.

Why stop at pils not being clear? The local brewpub is the same way. Bitter, Stout, Pils, Helles, Cream Ale, IPA, Brown Ale, Red Ale, Porter...in the last year I've tried all those styles, and all have been cloudy.

And not just a little cloudy, we're talking you can taste the yeast cloudy. Whatever yeast they use seems to have a peanut-like flavor. On rare occasions when the beer is clear that flavor isn't there.

I get that small breweries may not have time to let beer settle, so maybe we should be fussing at the consumers willing to buy crappy beer...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:24 pm »

Why stop at pils not being clear? The local brewpub is the same way. Bitter, Stout, Pils, Helles, Cream Ale, IPA, Brown Ale, Red Ale, Porter...in the last year I've tried all those styles, and all have been cloudy.

And not just a little cloudy, we're talking you can taste the yeast cloudy. Whatever yeast they use seems to have a peanut-like flavor. On rare occasions when the beer is clear that flavor isn't there.

I get that small breweries may not have time to let beer settle, so maybe we should be fussing at the consumers willing to buy crappy beer...

Time to let beer settle? Read Kunze.  German brewers (and he considers this ideal practice)  ferment eight days, lager seven to ten, and filter and carbonate. As a homebrewer, I lager two or three weeks and filter and carbonate, just because I don't get around to moving the batch on.  Even with IPA, I remember Teri Fahrendorf being quoted as saying "an unfiltered IPA is like an unfocused picture."  Unless it's a Hefe or a Wit, hazy beer is a sign of: a) seriously stale beer or b) seriously slack brewing. Most beer will already be staling by the time it clears itself. Filter.  OK I again return you to whatever.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 07:53:31 pm »
You're trying to convince the cask ale diehard to filter? Heresy!  :P
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 07:59:34 pm »
You're trying to convince the cask ale diehard to filter? Heresy!  :P
My bad! Cask ale has its own exemption from filtration.  But look how hard the brewers at the turn of the 20th c. worked to develop rapidly clearing yeasts and better finings.  And I can tell you, no matter how much beer is left in cask, as soon as the slightest turbidity appears, good British pub patrons will raise the alarm, and a publican worth his salt will change casks.  Crystal clear bitter is its own special joy.  EDIT  To your point Phil, at the turn of the century, British consumers would not accept running beers unless they were as brilliant as the aged stock beers they were replacing! So yeah, uneducated consumers are part of the problem
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:10:13 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 08:17:35 pm »
Doesn't it seem like most people who switch to craft beer do so because they get tired of drinking the same thing every day? (BMC) Just to... drink the same thing every day. (IPA)

I like them. But I like a lot of things. Honestly, over a six pack of the world's best IPA, I would choose 6 different kind of average, anything else. Of course if a mixer 6 pack actually were available, it would probably be an IPA, a NEIPA, an over hopped Pale Ale, an IPA brewed with Belgian yeast, a Black IPA, and a barrel aged triple IPA.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 08:37:25 pm »
Doesn't it seem like most people who switch to craft beer do so because they get tired of drinking the same thing every day? (BMC) Just to... drink the same thing every day. (IPA)

I like them. But I like a lot of things. Honestly, over a six pack of the world's best IPA, I would choose 6 different kind of average, anything else. Of course if a mixer 6 pack actually were available, it would probably be an IPA, a NEIPA, an over hopped Pale Ale, an IPA brewed with Belgian yeast, a Black IPA, and a barrel aged triple IPA.

+1 amen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde