Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer  (Read 19311 times)

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 07:47:39 am »

I haven't tasted a lot of kolsches that are satisfying, a lot better luck with satisfying pilsners. Any thoughts on why that is?

Personal preference? I like both styles very well. I like my kolsch a bit more estery. Pils I like with a solid hop presence.

I should say I don't really have any qualms with the NEIPA style except that the beer geeks are so head over heals about them. That is what I find so truly annoying. I don't particularly care for them personally but I do agree they manage to pack some amazing hop aromas and flavors.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 08:34:00 am »
Whenever I go to a brewery for the first time, I try out their pils, Kolsch, or other similar beer. If it's good, I know they can brew. You can't hide mistakes in those beers.
I like many types of beers. But, there is something amazing about a pils that is well done.
I extend my right hand of fellowship to all the pils brewers out there (like me)!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 08:38:52 am »
Come on everybody, let's here the chant: Pils! Pils! Pils! ....
If you ever find yourself in Austin TX, stop at ABGB for some outstanding Pils. The have a lighted sign now that says “Pils Pils Pils”. I didn’t get a picture.

Scroll down to see a picture of their GABF winners. Clear but not filtered, I think, one brewer said he like Biofine-clear.
https://theabgb.com
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 08:39:00 am »
Whenever I go to a brewery for the first time, I try out their pils, Kolsch, or other similar beer. If it's good, I know they can brew. You can't hide mistakes in those beers.
I like many types of beers. But, there is something amazing about a pils that is well done.
I extend my right hand of fellowship to all the pils brewers out there (like me)!

I shake your hand!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 08:43:57 am »
Come on everybody, let's here the chant: Pils! Pils! Pils! ....
If you ever find yourself in Austin TX, stop at ABGB for some outstanding Pils. The have a lighted sign now that says “Pils Pils Pils”. I didn’t get a picture.

Scroll down to see a picture of their GABF winners. Clear but not filtered, I think, one brewer said he like Biofine-clear.
https://theabgb.com
Those are some beautiful beers.  I remember you brought Biofine to my attention elsewhere on the forum, Jeff. I really have to try it, but I recall that it's temperature sensitive and I'll have to wait till after the thaw to order it!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 08:52:09 am »
It's so trendy to dislike IPA.  I'm not trendy.  I'd say at least 75% of the beers I drink are IPA.  I love them.  I don't find I get palate burnout.  i can easily drink an IPA and then switch to a more subtle style.  What's wrong with you people?  😉
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 09:18:50 am »
It's so trendy to dislike IPA.  I'm not trendy.  I'd say at least 75% of the beers I drink are IPA.  I love them.  I don't find I get palate burnout.  i can easily drink an IPA and then switch to a more subtle style.  What's wrong with you people?  😉

Not a big trend to dislike them where I live. Quite the opposite. And since I didn't waste my pallet on weed and hops over the years I guess I'm just more sensitive than you.  :D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:18 am »

Not a big trend to dislike them where I live. Quite the opposite. And since I didn't waste my pallet on weed and hops over the years I guess I'm just more sensitive than you.  :D

Keep telling yourself that!  I drink and enjoy subtle beers, too.  But my preference is toward hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 09:55:18 am »
Time to let beer settle? Read Kunze.  German brewers (and he considers this ideal practice)  ferment eight days, lager seven to ten, and filter and carbonate.

I think they filter after maturation/carbonation.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Robert

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 10:04:10 am »
Time to let beer settle? Read Kunze.  German brewers (and he considers this ideal practice)  ferment eight days, lager seven to ten, and filter and carbonate.

Can be done either way.  As long as the CO2 is collected from fermentation, the Reinheitsgebot permits mechanical carbonation. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 10:06:30 am »

You can't filter after carbonation. They lager, then filter or centrifuge, then carb. Centrifuges are awesome BTW. My pilsners and Kolsches are crystal clear.

I do not centrifuge or filter or even fine our IPAs.

The Beerery

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 10:25:55 am »
Say what!?!  You certainly can filter carbonated beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 10:36:48 am »
It's always possible I'm misunderstanding Kunze (and I've only skimmed the portion of Chapter 4 that discusses filtration), but he does say that filtering is done after maturation.  And my understanding is that natural carbonation is achieved during the maturation phase.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Robert

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 10:48:41 am »
It's always possible I'm misunderstanding Kunze (and I've only skimmed the portion of Chapter 4 that discusses filtration), but he does say that filtering is done after maturation.  And my understanding is that natural carbonation is achieved during the maturation phase.

It was under the old open fermentation/krausen lager procedure.  In modern conicals, the procedure is a fermentation without pressure, , diacetyl rest (which constitutes maturation) and brief cold storage to prepare for filtration, which is followed by carbonation.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

The Beerery

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 10:53:50 am »

It was under the old open fermentation/krausen lager procedure.  In modern conicals, the procedure is a fermentation without pressure, , diacetyl rest (which constitutes maturation) and brief cold storage to prepare for filtration, which is followed by carbonation.
Can you cite the chapter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk