Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Closed transfer  (Read 13284 times)

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Closed transfer
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 04:03:57 pm »
Here you go.
If you use the Speidel spigots use the Chrome ones not the plastic ones. If you use the norcal ones, make sure you buy the plastic cap and the silicone wrap. I bought the ball valves independently for much cheaper and added adaptors for hoses.  If you want to ferment with the spigot, just sanitize it like anything else and then cover the exit in sanitized foil.
Fill by gravity. Insert a gas quick disconnect once everything is connected and the beer going down will push the gas off the keg through the disconnect. I imagine that in addition to gravity, you will push from the top with CO2 in this case.
You can easily see the yeast/ trub level in the speidel. If it is below the level of the spigot, then transfer until you reach the level of the yeast. If it is above the level of the spigot, incline the Speidel backwards until it is below the level of the Speidel. Use something that won't slide.
I would cut the keg gas-in tube so that the beer can reach the top of the keg.
If you have more beer than the keg can take, then beer will eventually come out of the disconnect; at tha point get the disconnect out and you are done.
Keep in mind that your keg is filled to the top, so get some beer out before you connect gas or make sure gas has pressure, otherwise beer will come into the gas line.
I have done 300 beers this way, so if it can happen, I have seen it :-)
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 04:41:02 pm »
Excellent,  thanks for the detail. I believe I'm on top of this now and sounds like I'll end up with a nice system for reasonable

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 05:00:26 pm »
Fyi, I called norcal. She is building me a  Speidel version of a sanke transfer! I'll share the scoop when I get it
Great, I know I saw a video of JB working on a prototype for the dip tube. Look forward to seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 06:05:49 pm »
Here is my final solution. The one I'm getting, the racking cane will actually have a liquid ball lock tip though. Then a jumper from that to the liquid out post on the keg. It doesn't include the orange threaded Speidle collar but I have about 6 extras at home.

I should have it in time to keg my double mash stout, and English IPA. So from here out I'm purging by pushing out sanitizer, and closed transferring. I use Brewtan B in my light colored beers. But that's it! Don't paint me a LODO guy! Lol

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 06:47:34 pm »
Regarding the yeast issue, I just use pressure to blow out the first bit of gunk on the bottom of my fermenting keg through a picnic tap. Once it's mostly clear I jump it to my serving keg with a PRV/spunding valve on the gas-in. Some yeast/trub may still make it over to the serving keg, but that usually drops quick and is gone after the first pint or two.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 07:03:06 pm »
Regarding the yeast issue, I just use pressure to blow out the first bit of gunk on the bottom of my fermenting keg through a picnic tap. Once it's mostly clear I jump it to my serving keg with a PRV/spunding valve on the gas-in. Some yeast/trub may still make it over to the serving keg, but that usually drops quick and is gone after the first pint or two.
Right on. I'll be able to adjust my racking cane to pull clear beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 02:21:50 pm »
Got my closed transfer gear yesterday. Purged kegs by pushing co2, then transferred from my Speidels with what amounts to a sanke spear made by Nor-Cal. It went great. A little extra effort, things to clean and sanitize, but I got two kegs of Crystal clear non oxidized beer, so I think it's worth it. It was nice to not lift full Speidels out of the chest freezer too. I like it. Time will tell if the beer is better.

The Beerery

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 02:42:55 pm »
but I got two kegs of Crystal clear non oxidized beer

I am not trying to start a fight, I am genuinely interested.

Is this backed up by DO/tpo measurement or hopeful/wishful thinking?
Non-oxidized compared to what?
Industry standards or?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 02:49:03 pm »
Perhaps the phrase could be more correctly "less oxidized", which is better than just as oxidized as previous methods, for sure.

;)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 04:14:19 pm »

Industry standards or?
Seriously?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 04:31:21 pm »
I changed my signature so this won't happen again.

Disclaimer: 1. All beer is oxidized. 2. I only fight in person. 3. I don't believe in science

The Beerery

Closed transfer
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 04:51:34 pm »

Industry standards or?
Seriously?

Uhhh yea.  You made the claim not me.  Just seeing if there was data to back it up. 

Is that no then? Which is fine, I was just curious if there was data. 

🤷‍♂️

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 05:11:07 pm »
It wasn't a claim. Some people just like talking about beer. Not everyone is on a crusade. I started this thread because I was looking for a way to closed transfer from my Speidels. I thought maybe someone would be interested in the outcome. I sincerely apologize if I made it sound like I was claiming that I had discovered a way of producing totally oxygen free beer. I did not mean to get you all riled up. By the way, I never have any data. Data is against my religion.

Disclaimer: 1. All beer is oxidized. 2. I only fight in person. 3. I don't believe in science

The Beerery

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 05:24:05 pm »
I am sorry you are bent out of shape over this.  I even prefaced it.. You can resort to bad mouthing and whatnot.  That’s cool, if that’s your deal. 

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 05:31:20 pm »
Jim, at some point could you post pics of the transfer rig in place on the fermenter?  Someday I probably want to get away from glass carboys, and closed transfers are a must whatever I switch to.  Speidels might be an attractive option, but they're not available locally, and I'd have to really know what I'm getting into before ordering sight  unseen.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.