Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Eureka - the best new hop since Mosaic  (Read 5812 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Eureka - the best new hop since Mosaic
« on: February 08, 2018, 11:42:13 am »
I’ve been feeling pretty “meh” about most of the newest round of hops. I experimented with El Dorado, Vinnie’s Special, Ekuanot, Calypso, and a few others. They all struck me as “not hoppy” and unbalanced. I even had a not-easy time blending them. Nbd, I stuck with simcoe, cascade, mosaic, citra, galaxy, and other pre-2012 hops. But 2016 eureka was on sale at yvh when I was already buying other stuff, so I tried a pound.  Score.

This is the best new hop I’ve tried in a long while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Eureka - the best new hop since Mosaic
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:16:06 pm »
So you are saying that Eureka hops made you say “Eureka?”. Couldn’t resist that temptation.

I might have to get some based on that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:07 pm »
What do you like about them?  Can you give us some descriptors?

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 07:21:44 pm »
What do you like about them?  Can you give us some descriptors?

I would describe is as having a nice balance of piney, dank, resinous, and fruity. The fruit character is more "tropical" than "citrus," but it's balanced, not just fruity and otherwise dull. I guess I would say it's somewhere between Galaxy and Simcoe in flavor/aroma.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 07:27:23 pm »
Do you think it would be a great single-hop showcase, or would benefit from some additional character provided by other hops?  Also, what styles of beer have you been throwing it at?

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:03 am »
Do you think it would be a great single-hop showcase, or would benefit from some additional character provided by other hops?  Also, what styles of beer have you been throwing it at?

I used it in three beers so far (one is still fermenting). One beer was an IPA with a blend of a few different hops, and I liked the beer, but didn't really know what Eureka contributed. The beer that made me realize how much I liked it was:

10# pale malt
2# wheat malt
7 oz acid malt

3 mL hopshot 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 10 mins
2 oz Eureka Whirlpool (~170F)
3 oz Eureka Dry

West Coast water profile (~200 ppm sulfate, ~60ppm Chloride)

Mash at 152F

1.060 og
WYeast 1318
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 10:09:57 am by skyler »

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 11:09:53 am »
saying it's the best new hop since Mosaic is not a selling point for me!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 08:22:55 am »

Fair enough. I’ll say that I generally agree with you about this newest round of hops - I call them “candy hops.” But I do love mosaic because I perceive it as fruity and resinous/dank, not just pure hard candy/pasteurized fruit juice.

FWIW, my favorite hops in hoppy American beers are (in no particular order): simcoe, cascade, citra, mosaic, ctz, Amarillo, galaxy, Nelson sauvin, and Chinook. I also like Apollo and summit, which many people don’t like, but I don’t usually like fuggles, el dorado, azacca, calypso, lemon drop, or sorachi ace in high quantities.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 02:06:19 pm »

I used it in three beers so far (one is still fermenting). One beer was an IPA with a blend of a few different hops, and I liked the beer, but didn't really know what Eureka contributed. The beer that made me realize how much I liked it was:

10# pale malt
2# wheat malt
7 oz acid malt

3 mL hopshot 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 10 mins
2 oz Eureka Whirlpool (~170F)
3 oz Eureka Dry

West Coast water profile (~200 ppm sulfate, ~60ppm Chloride)

Mash at 152F

1.060 og
WYeast 1318

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this hops, and a sample recipe.  I'm going to pick up some of these and give a recipe similar to yours a shot. Cheers!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:43 am »

Fair enough. I’ll say that I generally agree with you about this newest round of hops - I call them “candy hops.” But I do love mosaic because I perceive it as fruity and resinous/dank, not just pure hard candy/pasteurized fruit juice.

FWIW, my favorite hops in hoppy American beers are (in no particular order): simcoe, cascade, citra, mosaic, ctz, Amarillo, galaxy, Nelson sauvin, and Chinook. I also like Apollo and summit, which many people don’t like, but I don’t usually like fuggles, el dorado, azacca, calypso, lemon drop, or sorachi ace in high quantities.

I'm with you. Tookl me a minute to get my pallet around mosaic but I like it.Looking for ard to checking out Eureka!

Offline snax

• 1st Kit
  • Dude, Where's My Brew?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 11:33:16 pm »
Great to hear -- I received about 10 1 oz samples this past weekend, and Eureka was one that I was intrigued by, along with a few experimentals from Hopsteiner. Now I know to keep and not give away in our club's "trash or treasure" monthly raffle!
Debbie "Snax" Cerda
Austin Zealots | Texas Carboys | Austin Homebrew Appreciation Society | Austin Women's Homebrew League
AHA Governing Committee 2012 - present | Diversity Subcommittee, Co-Chair  | Content & Resources Subcommittee

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 11:38:52 am »
I have only used eureka one time and it was with mosaic so I do not have much feedback. If you are going for juicy hop though, I think it works well in late hop additions and dry hopping.

I have gotten away from IPAs but some of the new, new world hops tend to be my favorite in terms of aromatics. Have you tried motueka? That gives a nice stoney fruit.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 11:47:30 am »
I have only used eureka one time and it was with mosaic so I do not have much feedback. If you are going for juicy hop though, I think it works well in late hop additions and dry hopping.

I have gotten away from IPAs but some of the new, new world hops tend to be my favorite in terms of aromatics. Have you tried motueka? That gives a nice stoney fruit.

I haven’t brewed with motueka because it is hard to get and expensive (I usually experiment with discounted/free hops). But I’ve drunk beer made with motueka and I like it all right. Nelson Sauvin and galaxy are two of my favorites, so I’m always interested in newer Oceanic varieties when they’re easily available.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 11:54:44 am »

I haven’t brewed with motueka because it is hard to get and expensive (I usually experiment with discounted/free hops). But I’ve drunk beer made with motueka and I like it all right. Nelson Sauvin and galaxy are two of my favorites, so I’m always interested in newer Oceanic varieties when they’re easily available.

Galaxy is nice but I digress, I am not trying to spend most my money on hops. Luckily I work at a brewery and we experiment with dry hopping regularly.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 10:46:54 am »
We did an IPA hop program at my club last fall. 30 IPAs, all of the same recipe, each with a different single hop. The two revelations for me were Denali and Michigan Copper. In a vote among attendees, Michigan Copper was the overall favorite. Eureka was not very favored, though I don't remember the vote tally.