Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What changes would make this forum more useful or easier for you?  (Read 55406 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
We are always looking for ways to improve the forum ans website.
The forum is SMF based.  At this point in time it has very few modifications applied.
What would you like to see and why?  If possible, not necessary, direct us to an SMF package or modification that we could apply.
We want this to be the best environment for you that we can apply.

Thanks.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What changes would make this forum more useful or easier for you?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:46:53 am »
How about topic ratings, ignore user, ignore topic, subscriptions to topics...
I was looking at the simple machines website at their addons. Not sure that they are universally adaptable.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:52:34 am »
Another forum, which I won't mention ( cough brewingnetwork, cough ) has links to see "New Posts" since your last visit, and "New Beer-Related Post" ( basically filtering out the off topic stuff ).

I'm not sure the "Unread" link by our login name does the same thing.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:16:16 am »
Yes, the "unread" link does the same think.  and I think some members of the GC have a BN awareness ;)
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline ryantj

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:16:28 am »
** update ** The unread feature seems to do the same thing!!!

I use the Brewing Network forum a lot and I like the ability to quickly scan the recent beer related posts regardless of what category they are in. Your "recently" feature shows way to much of the post, I just want titles. Much like the TT table of content did. You may be able to find a mod on the SMF site. They have tons of them. like this one. http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2469

I would be glad to take time and find SMF mods and talk with your tech person as I am a web developer also.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:22:45 am by ryantj »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:30:49 am »
** update ** The unread feature seems to do the same thing!!!

I use the Brewing Network forum a lot and I like the ability to quickly scan the recent beer related posts regardless of what category they are in. Your "recently" feature shows way to much of the post, I just want titles. Much like the TT table of content did. You may be able to find a mod on the SMF site. They have tons of them. like this one. http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2469

I would be glad to take time and find SMF mods and talk with your tech person as I am a web developer also.

Thanks for the offer!  We've already identified a number of SMF mods that we're interested in and the AHA tech staff is evaluating them.  An added layer of complexity is the co. the AHA hired to set up the website.  We'll pass your suggestion along to them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 01:05:15 pm »
A mobile theme would be nice. I'm not always on my desktop machine when I need a brewing info fix.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:24:58 pm »
High on the list of priorities, I assure you.  Fred and Drew are looking at mobile solutions.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 01:26:50 pm »
A mobile theme would be nice. I'm not always on my desktop machine when I need a brewing info fix.

+1

An iphone app would be splendid!   ;)
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:29:25 pm »

+1

An iphone app would be splendid!   ;)

Nah...do a Droid app first  ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 04:20:20 pm »
The RSS feed would be more useful if it contained the full text of each post.  I don't know anything about SMF, but it looks like Maximum post length is the appropriate setting.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:33:45 pm by ajk »

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 05:57:09 pm »
I’ve seen some forums where there are multiple feeds to choose from. For instance, if you could somehow satisfy the earlier request for unread “beer related” topics, if we could just get an RSS feed for "beer related” topics, too, that would be great.

Also, in the multiple feeds department, I much prefer the TastyBrew.com feed where you just see new topics. The signal-to-noise ratio is much lower.

Also…  ;) …the “every single post” feed --- the one you get now --- should (as suggested earlier) be full text. You’re not getting ad impressions, so it would be good to be able to read a thread without leaving my RSS reader.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 06:14:49 pm »
I’ve seen some forums where there are multiple feeds to choose from. For instance, if you could somehow satisfy the earlier request for unread “beer related” topics, if we could just get an RSS feed for "beer related” topics, too, that would be great.

There seem to be RSS feeds for each board; they're just not advertised.  Appending
;type=rss;action=.xml
to the end of the URL of whichever board I'm interested in gives me a board-specific feed.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 11:38:35 pm »
I think being able to attach .pdf files or the like would be helpful for recipes etc... Also how about embedding video? :) Another irritation is not being able to simply insert the hyperlinks under a shorter name.

For example: http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/03/31/new-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-preview-the-phone-will-apparently-cost-e600/

Otherwise I consider this site pretty refined, not too spartan not too cluttered, loads fast and easy to read and navigate.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 12:02:27 am »
Euge - actually on the url thing.. it's a bb code specification so you can link them differently

Euge's Link

All you have to do is on the url tag is put the link like this
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/03/31/new-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-preview-the-phone-will-apparently-cost-e600/] Your text [/url]

phpBB assists you in that, but really that's all you need to do.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison