Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What changes would make this forum more useful or easier for you?  (Read 55409 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: What changes would make this forum more useful or easier for you?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 12:50:45 am »
Euge - actually on the url thing.. it's a bb code specification so you can link them differently

Euge's Link

All you have to do is on the url tag is put the link like this
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/03/31/new-samsung-galaxy-s-i9000-preview-the-phone-will-apparently-cost-e600/] Your text [/url]

phpBB assists you in that, but really that's all you need to do.
Oh! Thanks!  You mean like this?  Samsung Galaxy S  ;D Guess I need to brush up... :D

Mod Note: Fixed the quoting
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:20:51 am by dbeechum »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Dan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 12:04:46 pm »
1. OAuth or OpenID authentication so I don't need to remember yet another username/password (stackoverflow.com is a good example of this).

2. Display the number of replies waiting for my attention, similar to unread emails, in the upper left (So it would say Unread (130) / Replies (5) ). Then I know something has happened without the need for me to click on the link.

3. A more web 2.0 version of moderation - allow all logged in users to rank individual comments with an up rating or a down rating. Then instead of  just using the number of posts when assigning levels to users, the quality of the particular posts should be taken into account. If you want to gain levels, you not only need to comment frequently but also have something useful to day.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 12:42:28 pm »
3. A more web 2.0 version of moderation - allow all logged in users to rank individual comments with an up rating or a down rating. Then instead of  just using the number of posts when assigning levels to users, the quality of the particular posts should be taken into account. If you want to gain levels, you not only need to comment frequently but also have something useful to day.

I've gotta say that I'm not much of a fan of this idea.  I've seen it practically destroy the Brews&Views board by people using it vindictively.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Dan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 02:22:12 pm »

I've gotta say that I'm not much of a fan of this idea.  I've seen it practically destroy the Brews&Views board by people using it vindictively.

There are many ways to curb the trolls while still implementing something similar:
  1. "super" moderators and flag accounts that shouldn't be allowed to participate in the up/down voting
  2. a user has to spend their own rep points or ranking points to down vote someone
  3. a single user can only vote n times is a given 24 hour period to prevent run away posting
  4. a user needs to be active for some period of time before getting the ability to vote on topics

You could also make this be the golden feature for paid AHA members. Those of us willing to part with some cash to run a message board or the AHA operations are less likely to abuse the voting privileges. You'd gain a lot of moderators with some limited power, stiff through the noise faster and those with high ranks would truly be contributing to the community.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 03:42:57 pm »
Good ideas, Dan, and thanks!  We're in the process of discussing a lot of changes and we'll toss yours into the hat!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 04:29:38 pm »
Is there such thing as a search feature within forums? Eventually topics will begin to accumulate in the depths of the forum, is it possible to look up if a topic was covered earlier?
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 05:01:56 pm »
There is a search function in the main menu bar next to HELP.

With the advanced features you can restrict yourself to individual forum areas.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 06:22:38 pm »
How about starting up a cable channel? While I brew I can leave the channel on in the background and listen to Denny reading the questions and answers while I brew. Seriously though, mobile platform.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 07:42:17 pm »

I agree...
besides, what is this strange internet obsession with "ranking" everything?
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Dan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 11:45:45 pm »

I agree...
besides, what is this strange internet obsession with "ranking" everything?

It's not really a strange obsession as much as it provides a very easy way to compute the relevance of a piece of data. This is particularly useful when dealing with natural language data (e.g. detecting email or forum posts as spam, deciding how important a link is, etc.) because often the algorithms often require scanning the data multiple times and building complex parse trees. It's easier to let humans read the data and toggle a flag or numeric count and then use standard algebraic operators to determine if something has met a threshold criteria. The simplicity and general applicability of this approach on a number of data sets is what makes it so powerful.

In case you'd like to read more about how simple human intervention makes computation easier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 05:30:41 am »
I would prefer that the home page show the last dozen TOPICS posted too, rather than the last posts.  I rarely get to scroll through the unread and this way i would miss fewer topics.
Don AHA member

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 07:23:37 am »
Every now and then - clicking unread to refresh the list of topics... it will wipe out everything as if I had clicked the mark all read button. Probably happens to me every second or third day.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline steven12

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 07:39:18 am »
I am having a lot of trouble using this forum.I don't use a computer every day.The help section was no help it must of been set up by a computer guy.. I received more help on how to use this from someone's advice on one of the last  Aha tech talks. The help section needs to be improved. Definitions of terms used in help section. Also this is very complicated for some one who just gets e mails. There seem to be alot of different things this site can do that's why it seems complicated. The help section should explain from 1 to 20 what this site can do and how to do it. All I want it to do is group all messages in a daily date they come in, so on sat or sun i can go thru by day the whole week. It seems like every time i go to a certain board it says no unread topics since my last visit. I have not been on it for a week I hit mark messages as read and there is all kinds of messages that came in during the week. No where do i see read new messages which i think would be better than mark messages.I am spending to much time trying to use this forum instead of brewing. By the way what's a child's board?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 10:14:05 am »
It seems like every time i go to a certain board it says no unread topics since my last visit. I have not been on it for a week I hit mark messages as read and there is all kinds of messages that came in during the week. No where do i see read new messages which i think would be better than mark messages.I am spending to much time trying to use this forum instead of brewing. By the way what's a child's board?

Are you sure you're logged in when you're trying this.  Look in the upper right of your window...  does is say "Welcome back steven12" or does it say "Welcome Guest"?  If it says guest, then you're not logged in and the system has no way of knowing what posts are new since the last time you looked.  If you are logged in, look right beneath your name and you should see the work "Unread".  Click on that and it'll show you all the unread posts since the last time you visited.

ps. A "child board" is just a sub-board that part of a larger board.  For instance, there's a major board call "Events" and it has a child board called "Homebrew Competitions".  Think of the child board as a subset of the parent board.

pps. When you login, you can check the box that says to keep you logged in and that way you don't have to login every time you visit.
Joe

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 12:45:32 pm »
No where do i see read new messages which i think would be better than mark messages.

Think of the "Unread" link at the top of the page as "Read New Messages" and the "Mark All Messages As Read" link to mean "Make all of these messages disappear from my 'new message' area".

I wonder if it would be less confusing for new users if the word "Unread" was changed to "Read New Messages"?