Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What changes would make this forum more useful or easier for you?  (Read 55405 times)

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
Re: What changes would make this forum more useful or easier for you?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 07:45:49 am »
Increase the number of posts in the default RSS feed, or publish a feed with more posts in the official FAQ (e.g.: www.homebrewersassociation.org%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Faction%3D.xml%3Bsa%3Drecent%3Blimit%3D255%3Btype%3Drss2)

Google reader, and other feed readers, only check for updates periodically.  If the default is for 5 posts, a lot get lost!

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 07:44:27 am »
..links to see "New Posts" since your last visit, and "New Beer-Related Post" ( basically filtering out the off topic stuff ).
I would like to be able to restrict "unread" to the beer forums.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 11:11:22 am »
Make it more legible on an iphone.  The icons are absolutely tiny at that resolution; it's hard to hit the 'new' and 'unread' buttons, which are my primary navigation tools.  A mobile-friendly version would be best.  Too much resizing on each message.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 11:12:54 am »
Make it more legible on an iphone.  The icons are absolutely tiny at that resolution; it's hard to hit the 'new' and 'unread' buttons, which are my primary navigation tools.  A mobile-friendly version would be best.  Too much resizing on each message.

We're working on it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »
I'd like to see the "Replies" list being replaced with a list of the topics I participated in. The topics with the most recent replies would be on top and when I have not read them yet they would be marked. This way I can also quickly find those topics which I already read and in which I participated.

Just like the equivalent link works in the NB forum.

Kai

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 09:20:13 am »
Just now realizing my last post should have gone here, but whatev. One more thing: if there's any ability to tweak search on this BB, adding some weight to the titles might help bump the headlines posts lower so that they don't overwhelm searching across all boards (which is what most people will do before they refine a search... IF they ever refine a search). If you can adjust the weight of entire topics, which would be very cool, lowering the weight of the section with the headline posts would be great.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 09:54:09 am »
A lot of the great ideas suggested may not be possible with this software, although there may be some plugins that could be added to accommodate some of the requests.  But we'll look into everything.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 10:36:00 am »

We're working on it!

This^^^^^is going to be awesome.

An iphone app would make usage alot more convenient for me.
Ron Price

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 08:25:07 pm »
I scanned this thread, but not every syllable, so please forgive me if someone has pointed this out.

If a forum is marked with "new posts" as in the brown envelope vs the grey envelope, and you then go in and read one post, the envelope turns grey, even though there are still unread posts. This is contrary to most forums I visit. As long as there are unread posts the forum should be brown, indicating such. I know, nitpicky.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 06:37:19 am »
How about a category for RIMS or other brewing systems?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 09:20:37 am »
How about a category for RIMS or other brewing systems?

Is there some reason the "Equipment" section wouldn't work for that?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 08:31:45 am »
I scanned this thread, but not every syllable, so please forgive me if someone has pointed this out.

If a forum is marked with "new posts" as in the brown envelope vs the grey envelope, and you then go in and read one post, the envelope turns grey, even though there are still unread posts. This is contrary to most forums I visit. As long as there are unread posts the forum should be brown, indicating such. I know, nitpicky.

I agree. (The forum is great... but since you asked...)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 09:21:24 am »

I agree. (The forum is great... but since you asked...)

True, but do you read or want to click on EVERY thread in a section? I know I don't. I just work around it.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 03:29:26 pm »
How about renaming Equipment to Equipment and Software? Questions about brewing software come up regularly enough to warrant the term "software" somewhere as a main topic (or at least a child board).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 04:12:13 pm »
How about renaming Equipment to Equipment and Software? Questions about brewing software come up regularly enough to warrant the term "software" somewhere as a main topic (or at least a child board).
Sounds good to me
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)