Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What changes would make this forum more useful or easier for you?  (Read 55411 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: What changes would make this forum more useful or easier for you?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 04:50:48 pm »
How about when there are numerous replies to one posting, that it only shows once on the main page, instead of every reply, taking up space for just one topic...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline pfooti

• Cellarman
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:08 pm »
Here's one that's a bit complicated.

When I visit the site, I usually hit the "view unread posts" link. Kudos for being the only homebrew forum that has a "mark all posts read" on the unread-list search page, by the way. TBN and NB don't have that, and HBT's is hidden.

On the unread-list search page, however, if there's more than one page of actual new posts, there's a subtle bug that will make you miss posts. If you click a link on page one and then go to page two of the list, the post that WAS at the top of page two bumps to the bottom of page one (were you to go back to page one, it would be there). That's because the "unread posts" list is regenerated when you hit the "go to page 2" link, and that list has one less element in it (the one you clicked on).

In order to work around this, I just start at the last page and move to the first, instead of starting on page 1.

I'd appreciate it if this didn't happen. There are a number of ways to fix it. You can make it a lot less apparent by making the unread-posts page return more than just 10 or so posts per page; 50 per page would mean I hardly ever had to page around. You can make the unread-posts page return in reverse chronological order, so the oldest new posts are on p1. Or you can change the manner in which the unread-posts page is generated to mean "posts made since my last visit" instead of "posts I haven't explicitly marked read yet", or just find a clever way to maintain the search results list while I page around in them without having to regenerate the list each time. Dunno if caching that search instead of re-running it each time saves on database load or not.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 06:56:18 am »
The 'Latest Posts" list that is on the main AHA website - I'd like that integrated into the forum's main page. See all the new activity at once instead of having to click dozens of links.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 07:45:50 pm »
Bookmark "Unread" or "Replies" or even "Recently" links in your right hand corner of the screen.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 08:40:10 am »
How about putting this post up as a handy dandy sticky please
or a ready available link to access the chat

http://tinychat.com/roffenburger
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:05:15 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2012, 09:17:05 am »
The 'Latest Posts" list that is on the main AHA website - I'd like that integrated into the forum's main page. See all the new activity at once instead of having to click dozens of links.

I've got a RSS feed hooked up so that I can see all the latest activity without even visiting.

It does not sort by category, but that's OK.

There was a thread on this ages ago, which is where I got the RSS link.

Very handy.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline storm_ipa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 07:29:13 pm »
a search function!!!! as well as the ability to subscribe to your own thread(see PC World's threads). On the PC World forums I can subscribe to my, or anyone's thread, and I have the ability to determine how often I recieve emails on replies to the thread. Those 2 are the biggest additions I see that are needed.
"He was a wise man who invented beer."

Offline storm_ipa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 07:59:47 pm »
how about a simply forum app for the android/ios operating systems? Nothing special, just simple read, view, search, post ability. with the abundance of smartphones we should take advantage of these phones to allow the forum/homebrew community to flourish. That would be huge!

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »
a search function!!!!

Um, see the bar directly below the AHA banner at the top of every page?  That bar starts with "HOME" then "HELP" and then, guess what, "SEARCH".  See if that gives you what you're looking for.
Joe

Offline storm_ipa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2012, 08:26:35 pm »
I didn't see the search at the top of the page, but there is no need to be a douche about it.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2012, 11:04:20 pm »
the ability to subscribe to your own thread(see PC World's threads). On the PC World forums I can subscribe to my, or anyone's thread, and I have the ability to determine how often I recieve emails on replies to the thread.
Go to your profile (click your name) and select "notifications and email" on the left side.  There are settings in there to subscribe to your own threads and automatically subscribe to other peoples threads.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:04 am »
I didn't see the search at the top of the page, but there is no need to be a douche about it.....

Sorry, really didn't mean to come across as a douche.  Guess I needed some smileys in there or something.
Joe

Offline storm_ipa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2012, 08:13:33 am »
No prob. I hate learning a new forum's navigation. I'd still love a smartphone app tho.

Offline steven12

• 1st Kit
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2013, 05:45:51 am »
I am always having trouble with login.I get locked out trying to log in on multiple tries.they should not have this feature.I just found out that my password for login on the asso. is different then the forum.why would your password be different.This makes no sense.If these issues can not be changed I would like to be logged in all the time .Is this possible.The forum has been very difficult to use and of no value.Will they ever bring back Brew Talk Email,i never had problems with this and it came to me,I miss it.  Steve Dohm

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2013, 06:47:18 am »
Every now and then - clicking unread to refresh the list of topics... it will wipe out everything as if I had clicked the mark all read button. Probably happens to me every second or third day.

Yep. This happens to me all the time. Probably everyday, but I'm on a lot due to my job being really boring. I'll just use Tapatalk on mobile to see the most recent stuff when that happens.

Would be nice to have that fixed though.

I am always having trouble with login.I get locked out trying to log in on multiple tries.they should not have this feature.I just found out that my password for login on the asso. is different then the forum.why would your password be different.This makes no sense.If these issues can not be changed I would like to be logged in all the time .Is this possible.

I also have this issue. The AHA login doesn't stay logged in, I have to re-login if I head to the BA store, then I have to re-login if I go to the forum. I finally set up my forum to be automatic login, but when I go back to the AHA website to read eZymurgy or something, I have to re-login. It's quite annoying.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article