Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: scotch  (Read 9324 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: scotch
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 08:24:26 am »
Not much of a scotch drinker, but a 15 year old single malt sound pretty good to me.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 11:59:27 am »
Guys, my only advice is that someday you should try something called Laphroaig

http://www.laphroaig.com/

If I'm not drinking beer or bourbon I drink this straight. Kinda pricey, but good for special occasions.

jaybeerman

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:26 pm »

If I'm not drinking beer or bourbon I drink this straight. Kinda pricey, but good for special occasions.

I finished a bottle of Laphroaig, wow, and have moved to a bottle of Ardbeg. Now I wish I had them side by side. They're both fantastic!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 12:05:28 pm »
Friend of Laphroaig #449737, someday I hope to get there and have a dram on my square foot of Islay.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 12:15:23 pm »
Friend of Laphroaig #449737, someday I hope to get there and have a dram on my square foot of Islay.

Hey neighbor! I'm over at #296166.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:52 pm »

I don't think there's a bad Isla whisky, just some are better than others. Laphroaig is up with the best. Has anyone had their Triple Wood? I've heard really good things about it but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Am also curious about the new Kilchomen releases, haven't been able to try them either.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 12:41:37 pm »
This thread has me ready to break out my bottle Glenfiddich single malt that has been collecting dust as of lately.

Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 12:52:08 am »

I don't think there's a bad Isla whisky, just some are better than others. Laphroaig is up with the best. Has anyone had their Triple Wood? I've heard really good things about it but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Am also curious about the new Kilchomen releases, haven't been able to try them either.

If you like the heavy peating of Laphroaig, try this sometime: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-12867.aspx Japanese whisky has really been gangbusters lately, especially Suntory. Highly recommended.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 02:30:15 pm »

It's my favorite.  Even better when you can get someone to pull out the Laphroaig 30.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 03:28:34 pm »
I remember liking the 15 year a lot. 

I have a bottle of the cheap (lol! less extremely expensive, perhaps) Bowmore, Legend I believe its called.  If you were going to have a bad Islay whisky I'd think this would be a competitor because of its lower price, but really, its quite good I think.  I can't think of a "bad" malt whisky I've tried...I imagine they exist but probably aren't marketed too widely.  I have had a bad blended scotch or two though!  Ack!

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 04:05:57 pm »
+1 on Laphroaig.

I also really enjoy Lagavulin...similar in character to Laphroaig, which should be no surprise as they are a mere 2 kilometers from each other...and Ardbeg another 1 kilometer beyond.

Somewhere packed away in a moving box I have a copy of "Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch."
This book makes me wonder which he knew more about: beer or whiskey (or whisky)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:09:24 am by kerneldustjacket »
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 04:35:22 pm »
Somewhere packed away in a moving box I have a copy of "Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch."
This book makes me wonder which me knew more about: beer or whiskey (or whisky)

Great book.  Sometimes I have to catch myself and ask..."is this opinion really my own from tasting, or am I just remembering something Michael Jackson wrote about the distiller?"

jaybeerman

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2010, 10:45:29 pm »
Ok folks, seems like a lot of us enjoy the Laphroaig (i.e. peaty) but is there anyone out there that's familiar with some of the other styles?  I'd like to try a few that showcase just malt, brewing water and oak.  If anyone has tasting notes on any malts from the following list of distilleries or has a suggestion of a similar malt, I'd love to hear about them.  Thanks

Aberlour
Cragganmore (I've had a glass at a bar but haven't purchased a bottle, I recall that it was pretty good)
Glen Elgin
Glenmorangie

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 05:15:56 am »
Abelour is a nice scotch, but it is malty whisky with a strong sherried profile. It's a great example of sherry barrel finish. This has become increasingly popular with many of the distilleries, including many of the Isla whiskys. I've not had Cragganmore, but Glen Elgin or the standard Glenmorangie are more what you describe. Though be sure you get the standard Glenmorangie... many of their expressions are finished in sherry, sauterne, or other finishing casks.

If you're looking for a great example of a malt whisky (without peat, sherry, etc) you might try Springbank. It's a Campbeltown whisky and one of the greats. If I recall, it's one of the few distilleries that still does their own floor malting.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 05:29:13 am »
When  I was traveling in Scotland several years ago, I found that Glenmorangie was the "bar malt" that you got if you weren't brand specific when ordering.  I find that it's a nice, malty single malt, a good deal for the price.  Another two that emphasize malt over peat are Highland Park and the MacAllan.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995