Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: scotch  (Read 9322 times)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
scotch
« on: August 24, 2010, 01:04:02 pm »
I rarely drink anything but beer.  So I need a little help.  I just received a bottle of Glenrothes Single speyside malt scotch whiskey.  This was distilled in 1982 and bottled in 1997. the package even has a hand written description of the character from the original taster in 1982 and the approval in 1996 prior to bottling. The question do I continue to save it or do I try it?  either way i am pretty stoked :D
Don AHA member

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
Re: scotch
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:10:42 pm »
Sounds like you've got something special there!

http://www.whisky.com/brands/glenrothes_brand.html
"Such is the quality of The Glenrothes, we believe this is a Malt to be savoured in special company."

However, it didn't get made just to sit on a shelf and gather dust - it was made to be enjoyed.  Also, once its bottled, the character of a whisky doesn't change much, so saving it isn't going to improve it any.

I'm very jealous...
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 01:48:04 pm »
It's not like vintage port or wine, once in glass, its done and ready, and virtually stable...it will taste essentially the same today as in 1997, at least, if it changes at all it will unlikely be much improvement.  15 year old and vintage marked, that should be a nice whisky!  If you have friends that appreciate Scotch, particularly single malt, it would be a great thing to invite one or two over to open it with you.  Enjoy!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:48:59 pm »
wow, thanks for the link.  the man who gave it to me said to drink it neat after dinner.  put a few drops of water in the glass just to help lift the aroma. well, i have a son graduating ohio state next year. good a time as any...
Don AHA member

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:57:43 pm »
Definitely drink it. Distilled spirits are often discussed as being so-and-so years old, but that refers to the aging at the distillery. Once it's in the bottle, it's not going to change but it could evaporate if not capped tightly.

Wine will age in the bottle, as will beer. Not spirits.

Sounds tasty.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 03:09:20 pm »
I wouldn't even hesitate, open it and have a glass.  Share it with good friends.  Scotch is made to be savored but not stored forever.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »
drink it i will.  maybe this weekend.  sometime within next year.  i do have a few nice montecristos stashed among the 100 or so smokes that seem to not get smoked.  thanks guys
Don AHA member

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 05:06:59 pm »
Definitely drink it.  Make sure you have a good cigar to go with it.  Where do you live so I can come over and help you enjoy it.  ;)

Enjoy,
Brandon

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 06:37:13 pm »
Well, it's no Cutty Sark, but I'd drink it.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 06:57:41 pm »
Well, it's no Cutty Sark, but I'd drink it.

I just shuddered and gagged a little.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 10:33:04 am »
[Ohhh ya!!!  I love Montecristos!!!  They're like an all day Slo Poke we used to enjoy when we were kids. Just never seems to end.... Cheers!!!

I prefer them too.  I keep getting Cohibas as gifts because everyone seems to think that is the smoke, but when it comes to cubans i do prefer the montecristos and even the partagas.  just harder to come by.  actually time to enjoy them is hard to come by.
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 09:00:19 pm »
Just got a bottle of scotch after 15 years. The last was Johnny Walker Red label. This'uns  a 10 year single malt called Speyburn.

I like it. A lot.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 09:10:52 pm »
Also, once you open it, drink it up. When the cap is off, and you pour it, it will oxidize, just like beer. Don't pour a couple glasses, and then shelf it for a couple more years. down the hatch ,with it!!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:57:39 pm »
drink it i will.  maybe this weekend.  sometime within next year.  i do have a few nice montecristos stashed among the 100 or so smokes that seem to not get smoked.  thanks guys

It'll go well with Havana Montecristos.  :)
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »
Also, once you open it, drink it up. When the cap is off, and you pour it, it will oxidize, just like beer. Don't pour a couple glasses, and then shelf it for a couple more years. down the hatch ,with it!!

OK I will take your advice! :D

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis