Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Wort Study  (Read 5158 times)

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
Re: A Wort Study
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2020, 02:42:17 pm »
Awe inspiring doesn't mean I want it or completely understand it...just like the feeling I might get at modern breweries that I visit.  Just "awe" as in jaw dropping complexity and presumably, control.

My system is rudimentary in many respects and yet, some of their processes can be implemented on it, if I feel like doing them.  Some can't and I don't sweat it any.

I guess for me, homebrewers aspiring to be like commercial brewers isn't awe inspiring.  But we all have our own reasons for brewing.
At one point or another, if a homebrewer is serious about improving their skill level or improving the overall quality of their beer, the homebrewer will venture into using similar equipment or techniques as pro's. I know I do. I like having different ideas expressed on the forum and I don't want to see anyone from being discouraged or dissuaded in pursuing those ideas or bringing them to the forum. I understand that these ideas need to be vetted and debated, but sometimes I think the ideas are cast aside to quickly or in a flippant manner, while other ideas are embraced too quickly.

I would prefer to see a little more civility and graciousness toward Ideas we may not agree with. Just my observation.

But you make a serious mistake thinking that's what all homebrewers aspire to.  Your ascribing your own goals to all of us, and that just doesn't work.
  All ideas should have a chance to be discussed...totally agree.

Ironically, you assume that I "make a serious mistake thinking that's what all homebrewers aspire to." and nowhere did I say that nor do I think that way. Nor do I ascribe my own goals to "all of us", which would imply you speak for everyone. I hope that would not be the case.

Convention brewing practices are available everywhere in books and in forums like this. They are repeated over and over again. I like hearing about unconventional methods, both good and bad. It's refreshing and rather harmless. People who challenge those old conventions are sometimes treated smugly and with a condescending tone. It's not good for anybody. It would be nice to see people extend a little deference to each and not pigeon hole others with broad assumptions.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2020, 02:53:18 pm »

Ironically, you assume that I "make a serious mistake thinking that's what all homebrewers aspire to." and nowhere did I say that nor do I think that way. Nor do I ascribe my own goals to "all of us", which would imply you speak for everyone. I hope that would not be the case.

Convention brewing practices are available everywhere in books and in forums like this. They are repeated over and over again. I like hearing about unconventional methods, both good and bad. It's refreshing and rather harmless. People who challenge those old conventions are sometimes treated smugly and with a condescending tone. It's not good for anybody. It would be nice to see people extend a little deference to each and not pigeon hole others with broad assumptions.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.  As someone who advocates unconventional brewing practices, I agree with you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2020, 10:56:29 pm »

^^This^^

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2020, 07:59:03 pm »
I guess for me, homebrewers aspiring to be like commercial brewers isn't awe inspiring.  But we all have our own reasons for brewing.

When I see homebrewers trying to copy commercial breweries I just roll my eyes. Pros have lots of constraints that homebrewers don't, the primary one being that they need to make money. Homebrewers can use the most expensive ingredients in truly extravagant amounts to get what they want. We also don't (for the most part) have to deal with energy costs, waste disposal issues, etc. We can focus entirely on making beer that tastes good to us.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2020, 06:43:08 am »

When I see homebrewers trying to copy commercial breweries I just roll my eyes. Pros have lots of constraints that homebrewers don't, the primary one being that they need to make money. Homebrewers can use the most expensive ingredients in truly extravagant amounts to get what they want. We also don't (for the most part) have to deal with energy costs, waste disposal issues, etc. We can focus entirely on making beer that tastes good to us.

Yes! That's why I'm having a blast homebrewing again! That said I use a lot of what i learned professional brewing in homebrewing applications. It has made me a better brewer for sure.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2020, 01:50:37 pm »
Yes! That's why I'm having a blast homebrewing again! That said I use a lot of what i learned professional brewing in homebrewing applications. It has made me a better brewer for sure.

You're not allowed to say things like that without elaborating!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2020, 05:23:10 pm »

On the contrary, THIS forum does like it when "pro level stuff" is suggested as a reasonable way to brew at the "home level" (e.g. see above posts)..... thus, this wasted thread. ::)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2020, 07:30:10 am »

On the contrary, THIS forum does like it when "pro level stuff" is suggested as a reasonable way to brew at the "home level" (e.g. see above posts)..... thus, this wasted thread. ::)

I agree with majorvices here.  I learned some things during my pro-brewer gig that I use at home.  For example, knifing the top few inches of the grain bed in the mash to increase extraction efficiency.  Yes, unconventional things get us all tho think and maybe adjust our brewing practices to make the brew day easier, but tips from the pros also help the homebrewer.   The converse is also true.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2020, 02:53:58 pm »

I can't share all my secrets! I might write a book!  ;)

Big Monk

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2020, 05:46:28 pm »
this too shall pass.

It will now, at least on *this* forum... it looks like we made him quit again (for what -- the fifth or sixth time now?!
 Yawn.)

I hope they continue here.  I for one learned a lot from their discussions of pre-boiling, spunding, anti-oxidants, and the like.  Some I use, some I don’t, but the advancement of knowledge and application to homebrewing has been valuable.  And you can’t deny Bryan’s system and process detail is awe inspiring.  And Monk’s patience was pretty reasonable.  Just sayin’.

;)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2020, 05:14:32 pm »
really fascinating, people seem to be talking about low oxygen brewing a lot. especially in regards to getting certain "tastes" of german famous beers.

hmmmmm