Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Wort Study  (Read 5166 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: A Wort Study
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2020, 12:37:05 pm »
this too shall pass.

It will now, at least on *this* forum... it looks like we made him quit again (for what -- the fifth or sixth time now?!
 Yawn.)

I hope they continue here.  I for one learned a lot from their discussions of pre-boiling, spunding, anti-oxidants, and the like.  Some I use, some I don’t, but the advancement of knowledge and application to homebrewing has been valuable.  And you can’t deny Bryan’s system and process detail is awe inspiring.  And Monk’s patience was pretty reasonable.  Just sayin’.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2020, 01:23:56 pm »
this too shall pass.

It will now, at least on *this* forum... it looks like we made him quit again (for what -- the fifth or sixth time now?!
 Yawn.)

I hope they continue here.  I for one learned a lot from their discussions of pre-boiling, spunding, anti-oxidants, and the like.  Some I use, some I don’t, but the advancement of knowledge and application to homebrewing has been valuable.  And you can’t deny Bryan’s system and process detail is awe inspiring.  And Monk’s patience was pretty reasonable.  Just sayin’.

It all depends on your point of view.  You see awesome, I see no freakin' way.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2020, 01:38:41 pm »

I see a whole lot of work that isn't my fun, but if it floats your boat and makes your beer sing to you - go for it.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2020, 01:46:35 pm »
Awe inspiring doesn't mean I want it or completely understand it...just like the feeling I might get at modern breweries that I visit.  Just "awe" as in jaw dropping complexity and presumably, control.

My system is rudimentary in many respects and yet, some of their processes can be implemented on it, if I feel like doing them.  Some can't and I don't sweat it any.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 01:52:06 pm »

I see a whole lot of work that isn't my fun, but if it floats your boat and makes your beer sing to you - go for it.

which is pretty much what I said

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 01:53:09 pm »
Awe inspiring doesn't mean I want it or completely understand it...just like the feeling I might get at modern breweries that I visit.  Just "awe" as in jaw dropping complexity and presumably, control.

My system is rudimentary in many respects and yet, some of their processes can be implemented on it, if I feel like doing them.  Some can't and I don't sweat it any.

I guess for me, homebrewers aspiring to be like commercial brewers isn't awe inspiring.  But we all have our own reasons for brewing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 02:42:05 pm »

I guess for me, homebrewers aspiring to be like commercial brewers isn't awe inspiring.  But we all have our own reasons for brewing.
Aspiring to be like commercial brewers sounds like far more work than I care to do.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2020, 03:12:29 pm »
Let me tell you. Being a professional brewer is a lot of work.

Keep your hobby simple and fun.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2020, 03:20:57 pm »
I would argue the the Bryan’s brewdays are far more simple then anyone else here since he just pushes the start button and the beer happens.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2020, 03:50:37 pm »
I would argue the the Bryan’s brewdays are far more simple then anyone else here since he just pushes the start button and the beer happens.

Sure, and that's great for him and others like him.  Me, I enjoy the process enough that 99% of the time I wouldn't care to do that.  And I definitely would hate putting the system together.  But to each their own.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:14 pm »

Amen brother.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »

Amen brother.

Indeed, that is why I have told others that I refuse to give up my hobby.  My pro friends give up a lot of fun.  But I can still enjoy seeing and hearing about how their systems work and attending an occasional brew session to see them in action.  Not to implement their equipment at the Homebrew level, but to understand what they doing and why...and to question whether any of it might apply in some way in my system and approach.  I can appreciate folks going to ever greater lengths to improve their systems and their beer.  I live within the bounds of my lesser equipment and rudimentary processes quite happily.

Cheers.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2020, 06:27:02 pm »
It always seems to get off on the wrong foot at some point in time when *he smarts off to a forum member who is just mentioning something. I think the studies can be interesting and I'm amazed by the lab he has built. Too bad we just can't all be civil. I know I brought the hammer down once on him really bad so I don't leave myself out here.

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2020, 12:09:21 pm »

At one point or another, if a homebrewer is serious about improving their skill level or improving the overall quality of their beer, the homebrewer will venture into using similar equipment or techniques as pro's. I know I do. I like having different ideas expressed on the forum and I don't want to see anyone from being discouraged or dissuaded in pursuing those ideas or bringing them to the forum. I understand that these ideas need to be vetted and debated, but sometimes I think the ideas are cast aside to quickly or in a flippant manner, while other ideas are embraced too quickly.

I would prefer to see a little more civility and graciousness toward Ideas we may not agree with. Just my observation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2020, 12:36:06 pm »

At one point or another, if a homebrewer is serious about improving their skill level or improving the overall quality of their beer, the homebrewer will venture into using similar equipment or techniques as pro's. I know I do. I like having different ideas expressed on the forum and I don't want to see anyone from being discouraged or dissuaded in pursuing those ideas or bringing them to the forum. I understand that these ideas need to be vetted and debated, but sometimes I think the ideas are cast aside to quickly or in a flippant manner, while other ideas are embraced too quickly.

I would prefer to see a little more civility and graciousness toward Ideas we may not agree with. Just my observation.

You do, others do, and that's great.   But you make a serious mistake thinking that's what all homebrewers aspire to.  Your ascribing your own goals to all of us, and that just doesn't work.  All ideas should have a chance to be discussed...totally agree.

www.dennybrew.com