Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is it possible to have a serious discussion about secondary fermentation?  (Read 4739 times)

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
I actually have not praticipated in any of these online forums before so it is interesting to see how some people think or do things. I just have a problem with the blanket statement of "you should never do secondary". Maybe this has already been discussed "ad naseum" and I missed it. Oh well.

Do you know who John Palmer, Chris White or Jamil Zainisheff are?

Yes I do. They are humans who have opinions.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I actually have not praticipated in any of these online forums before so it is interesting to see how some people think or do things. I just have a problem with the blanket statement of "you should never do secondary". Maybe this has already been discussed "ad naseum" and I missed it. Oh well.

Do you think any of the know what they're talking about?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman

Maybe. Maybe not. They have their opinions and way of doing things and I have mine. Nobody says you have to listen to my advice. Everyone still has the ability to think for themselves. I go with what works. I don't brew one way or another just because someone said to do it that way. That is called the echo chamber....

My final product speaks for itself.

Or are you implying that because I am not the same as those people that I don't have a right to think as an independent mind. Are we now controlled by the thought police?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:36:12 am by coonmanxdog »

Big Monk

This has gone off the rails quick. I'm actually shocked that this is shocking to me.

Who'd have thunk a secondary thread could elicit such a response?  ;)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Maybe. Maybe not. They have their opinions and way of doing things and I have mine. Nobody says you have to listen to my advice. Everyone still has the ability to think for themselves. I go with what works. I don't brew one way or another just because someone said to do it that way. That is called the echo chamber....

Or are you implying that because I am not the same as those people that I don't have a right to think as an independent mind. Are we now controlled by the thought police?

Dang man. Sounds like you need to take a couple of breaths. You came into this fiery as all hell for no perceived reason related to the people here.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

I'm not implying that at all.  As has been stated, we can all do whatever we like.  I'm just wondering if you're aware of the facts they have presented?  Not opinions.  Facts bout why most people don't need a secondary.

As to your final product, we'll take your word for it since none of us can try it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman

Dang man. Sounds like you need to take a couple of breaths. You came into this fiery as all hell for no perceived reason related to the people here.

I just don't care for the "herd mentality". I never have. One thing that I have realized in life is that it is often people who think outside the box that get the best results. Some of the techniques I use have come from experience and experimentation, not from a book. But people tend to reject people like that until they figure out that they were right all along. Just think if we still believed that the earth was flat just beacuse that was the accepted view at the time....

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
And you can science all day but that doesn't do the work of brewing the beer. The brewer in the end makes the beer.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
And you can science all day but that doesn't do the work of brewing the beer. The brewer in the end makes the beer.

Still having trouble following what you are trying to get across. What is the point of your OP?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

Still having trouble following you. What is the point of your OP?

My question exactly

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

Applied science is the real winner here. The brewer is an applied scientist, much like an engineer is. No would argue that science makes beer, but brewers don't operate in a vacuum.

You sound like you have a valid, personal reason for transferring to secondary. Many wouldn't be able to justify the extra step for no benefit. YMMV and it's okay for everyone to feel strongly in one direction or the other.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

I just don't care for the "herd mentality". I never have. One thing that I have realized in life is that it is often people who think outside the box that get the best results. Some of the techniques I use have come from experience and experimentation, not from a book. But people tend to reject people like that until they figure out that they were right all along. Just think if we still believed that the earth was flat just beacuse that was the accepted view at the time....

Yet you come to a brewing forum which is all about herd mentality.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman

Still having trouble following you. What is the point of your OP?

I'm not sure anymore because it has become painfully obvious that if you dare to say that you do a secondary fermentation then you have to be wrong. So apparently the answer to my question is "No, we can not have a serious discussion about secondary fermentation".... It has to be only one way. Brewers will not accept any deviation. We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. LOL.

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman

Yet you come to a brewing forum which is all about herd mentality.

An obvious herd mentality. Guess I was not expecting that. Enjoy the herd. LOL.

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
I would also say that done correctly there is a benefit to doing a secondary. Clearer beer and the ability to store in secondary without having to worry about when the beer will go into a keg. If some can not see that benefit then I can not help them to understand that.

Each to his own....

Also the brewer is not an "applied scientist". Far from it. The brewer is more of a chef. Yes there is underlying science in both fields but the individual is the one who crafts the final product. Not a book.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:55:51 am by coonmanxdog »