Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oskar Blues ...  (Read 8619 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Oskar Blues ...
« on: August 28, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »
A local watering hole is serving Oskar Blues Gubna, on tap.  Apparently, it's a double IPA @ 10.5% ABV.  From their site, it appears they have the distinction of being the first craft brewery to can its beers.  Any feedback on this "Gubna" offering, or any of their other brews?

http://www.oskarblues.com/the-brews/gubna

While I'm at it, what's the skinny on Summit hops?  I'm hearing everything from "grapefruit bomb aroma" to "fresh garlic/onion".
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:02:30 pm by roguejim »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Oskar Blues ...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:22:10 pm »
I'm a big fan of the Oskar Blues beers - Gordon, Ten Fidy, Dale's Pale, Old Chub.  All nice beers.  I had a bunch more of their beers when I visited Lyons a few years back, but don't remember their names.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:29:54 am »
Summit hops are dank like CTZ and citrusy-fruity like Cascade - only the flavor is more orange-tangerine than it is grapefruit-pomelo. They are EXTREMELY high AA%, and with low co-humulone, so you get a real smooth bitterness out of them - an excellent hop, and one of my favorites.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:54:49 am »
I like many of the Oskar Blues beers. I did not like the Gubna. That one fails as a IIPA. And it had a strong vegal character I could not enjoy. Had a hard time getting through that 6 pack.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:52:16 am »
I detest Gubna and the garlic and onion hop flavors...YMMV
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 01:55:17 pm »
I haven't had the Gubna, but it sounds like I don't need to get more than one :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 05:17:44 pm »
I haven't had the Gubna, but it sounds like I don't need to get more than one :)

At least try it before you dismiss it... I think the stuff is awsome...very complex, lots of different flavors going on.  Admittedly it's not for un-adventurous taste buds, but I found it to be great and on par with all of their products.  And they get extra points for packaging it in cans.

As a very wise man once said, "You'll never know until you check it out."
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 05:20:26 pm »

At least try it before you dismiss it... I think the stuff is awsome...very complex, lots of different flavors going on.  Admittedly it's not for un-adventurous taste buds, but I found it to be great and on par with all of their products.  And they get extra points for packaging it in cans.

That's why I'll get one - to try it.  If I like it, I can get more.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 05:28:40 pm »

At least try it before you dismiss it... I think the stuff is awsome...very complex, lots of different flavors going on.  Admittedly it's not for un-adventurous taste buds, but I found it to be great and on par with all of their products.  And they get extra points for packaging it in cans.

For the record I have adventurous taste buds. But this beer tastes like sweaty arm pits. That's an adventure I'm just not down for, sorry.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:35:11 pm by majorvices »

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 07:27:14 pm »
I like many of the Oskar Blues beers. I did not like the Gubna. That one fails as a IIPA. And it had a strong vegal character I could not enjoy. Had a hard time getting through that 6 pack.
It would be hard to get through a 6-Pack since it comes in 4 packs!    ;D

I love this beer and have never gotten sweatty armpits out of it. Of course I'm normally drinking it fresh at the brewery. My favorite beer of theirs is definitely the TenFidy. I also reaaly like the Gordon.

Of course the other cool part about Oskar's is that they give homebrewers 25% off on beer and food. Even kegs!  They just opened up a new resteraunt that has 43 taps of all craft beer along with a Cajun inspired menu. Even all of the guest beers including Lost Abbey, Aka, Russian River, etc. are all 25% off for AHA members. You've got to appreciate that!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:07:42 am »
Admittedly it's not for un-adventurous taste buds

ROTFLMAO - to insinuate that I might not have adventurous taste buds is so funny it just doesn't even deserve further comment.

The beer sucks IMO due to the use of Summit hops - however some like it and like those aromas and flavors. It's one of those beers some love and some hate, I'm of the latter group.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 06:24:19 am »
I agree Mike, I found the "adventurous taste buds" comment a little silly. I didn't care for it at all and would not buy it again. And, FTR, haveing to drink 4 probably felt like drinking 6.  ;)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 07:18:39 am »
I got through 4 ounces out of an 8 ounce draft pour before giving up and ordering something I enjoyed.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:48 pm »
I had a couple of cans of Gubna on a Yellowstone River float trip in early July this year, and thought it was fantastic. River was high and muddy....nothing like getting a good buzz going while floating on a flooding river.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 05:16:27 pm »
My last river trip the raft flipped, one guy got stuck under it and nearly drowned, another got whacked with a paddle and was bleeding everywhere, and I got swept over some rapids head first.  It was awesome  ;D

This was a professionally guided trip mind you, with no alcohol present.
Tom Schmidlin