Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ambient temperature for primary fermenter  (Read 3421 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ambient temperature for primary fermenter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 03:40:48 pm »
Thanks, Denny and Kevin.  I've been keeping a towel, saturated with water, wrapped around the primary with a small box fan blowing on it.  I've added water to the towel about three times a day to keep it wet and the temp has dropped to between 67 and 70.  That's still not where I'd like it to be.  Since I only have a crawlspace to store my beer in during fermentation, I'm guessing that I'll need to confine my brewing to three seasons out of the year--i.e., not in the summer.

you can also look into yeasts that perform better at higher temps

Agreed, selecting a yeast for the environment,
 is easier than changing the environment for the yeast.

Assuming you like the character of the yeast.  Most times I prefer to change the environment rather than accept a compromise
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 03:55:24 pm »
Thanks, Denny and Kevin.  I've been keeping a towel, saturated with water, wrapped around the primary with a small box fan blowing on it.  I've added water to the towel about three times a day to keep it wet and the temp has dropped to between 67 and 70.  That's still not where I'd like it to be.  Since I only have a crawlspace to store my beer in during fermentation, I'm guessing that I'll need to confine my brewing to three seasons out of the year--i.e., not in the summer.

you can also look into yeasts that perform better at higher temps

Agreed, selecting a yeast for the environment,
 is easier than changing the environment for the yeast.

Assuming you like the character of the yeast.  Most times I prefer to change the environment rather than accept a compromise

And that's if a yeast is available for your environment at the time.  I find the environment much "easier to control" than finding a yeast that will produce the beer I want in some of the environments I would otherwise experience in my home location through the course of a year.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Fire Rooster

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 04:50:08 pm »

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/291.html

Never tried high temp yeasts.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 03:28:42 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2020, 05:25:00 pm »
https://beerandwinejournal.com/high-temp-yeast/

https://omegayeast.com/yeast/norwegian-kveik/hothead-ale

Tried them and most are not to my liking for the most part.  But I brew lagers and British ales mostly.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Hopspringseternal

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 07:55:02 am »
Thanks for the suggestion about adjusting the yeast to the environment.  I'm still relatively new at brewing.  What are some good (and hopefully not too expensive) yeasts that perform well with ambient temperatures in the mid to upper 70s?
Hopspringseternal

Fire Rooster

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 08:29:23 am »
Thanks for the suggestion about adjusting the yeast to the environment.  I'm still relatively new at brewing.  What are some good (and hopefully not too expensive) yeasts that perform well with ambient temperatures in the mid to upper 70s?

I have no experience with higher temp yeasts, perhaps others do.
Although, I've been itching to try Hothead/Kveik for some time now.
In the winter, I switch to Nottingham yeast when my basement gets very cold.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:34:55 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 08:43:06 am »
https://beerandwinejournal.com/high-temp-yeast/

https://omegayeast.com/yeast/norwegian-kveik/hothead-ale

Tried them and most are not to my liking for the most part.  But I brew lagers and British ales mostly.

Yep.  Same here.  They may produce beer at high temps, but for me that doesn't matter if I don't lime the beer theu make.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 12:30:38 pm »
I sometimes change the environment toward the end of primary fermentation by raising the temperature to get the beer to more easily get to terminal gravity.  That change amounts to raising the temperature from like 65- 67 degrees to maybe 71 or 72.  I don't change the temperature until the gravity has dropped to within a few points of terminal gravity to avoid producing unwanted esters and phenolics early in the ferementation.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Kestrel Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 12:41:24 pm »

In terms of fermentation temperatures in the mid 70's to mid 80's, if you're not going to go with a kveik strain, I'd venture to say that your best bet is probably a Belgian ale strain. But that's just me, YMMV.

Yeast purveyors (farmers? ranchers?) often have charts that list the specs on all of their strains including recommended fermentation temperature ranges:
https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/WL_Poster-Beer_Matrix%20_09-16-19-small.pdf
https://omegayeast.com/uploads/downloads/Omega-Yeast-2019-Strain-Poster-For-Web.pdf

Wyeast has this handy dandy thingy that lets you select strains by temperature among other factors:
https://wyeastlab.com/beer-strains

And then there are folks who have created lists that try to match up yeast strains from one brand to the other in case your local home brew shop is out of White Labs and you need to use Wyeast or vice versa:
https://www.txbrewing.com/yeast-substitution.html

Google is your friend here …

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 12:49:19 pm »
And I have personal experience that says the yeast companies may not always know the best temps.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 12:58:21 pm »
And I have personal experience that says the yeast companies may not always know the best temps.
YES!

couldnt agree more.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2020, 06:10:52 am »
...and I have person correspondence with a major supplier and a conference presentation from another describing the trials they conduct to determine their recommendations.

I guess it comes down to who do you trust: some random Homebrewer fermenting in their basement who just happens upon a scenario that worked once or twice ...or a global mfr that wants their customers to have successful results so they’ll continue to buy their product with a laboratory and a professional panel using industry standards that conducts controlled trials across a spectrum of scenarios to determine a recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2020, 08:24:18 am »
...and I have person correspondence with a major supplier and a conference presentation from another describing the trials they conduct to determine their recommendations.

I guess it comes down to who do you trust: some random Homebrewer fermenting in their basement who just happens upon a scenario that worked once or twice ...or a global mfr that wants their customers to have successful results so they’ll continue to buy their product with a laboratory and a professional panel using industry standards that conducts controlled trials across a spectrum of scenarios to determine a recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no doubt some of them test some strains.  I know for a fact that not all of them test all strains.  This is not homebrewer speculation.

www.dennybrew.com

Fire Rooster

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:53:08 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline jrenmo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2020, 12:47:33 pm »
Started a batch of Brown ale on Monday. Fermentation vigorously started within a couple hours. On day 3 it slowed waaaay down. Temps in my area are considerably cool for this time of year. Morning average low is 57 degrees. I have it fermenting in my bedroom closet. Could it be because of cool temps that yeast have slowed down? First time brewing beer however I’ve been fermenting mead for over 10 years, never had this happen. I guess time will tell if yeast becomes active again.