Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat for Head  (Read 6696 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Re: Wheat for Head
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 03:47:32 am »
I bought several pounds of white wheat malt. In hopes of improving head, in the retention department.

I'm pretty new to AG, but have recently added a pound of Chit malt (12# grain bill) for this and it has improved the head retention considerably. It seems to have added a little more body to the recipe as well as some "slickness" in the aftertaste (mouthfeel I guess?).

Not sure how it affects the flavor as I made a couple mistakes on this batch which I can't blame on the Chit. Maybe someone else has some Chit'y  ;) experience to share.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Wheat for Head
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 11:38:15 am »
This chart was developed by UC Davis based on their analysis of the effect different ingredients have on foam. It’s no surprise UC Davis produced this because their professor, Dr Bamforth, is known as the “Pope of Foam”. As Martin said, if you want foam add non malted wheat to light beers. Based on this information, roasted barley or Black Patent substituted for the wheat helps for dark beers.

Combe AL, Ang JK, Bamforth CW. Positive and negative impacts of specialty malts on beer foam: a comparison of various cereal products for their foaming properties. J Sci Food Agric. 2013 Jul;93(9):2094-101. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6117. Epub 2013 Apr 11. PMID: 23450736.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:34:22 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 11:55:07 am »
Interesting thanks!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 12:04:28 pm »
I add torrified wheat to improve foam quality and lace. The Anglo-American bitter recipe that posted in the recipe section contains torrified wheat.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 01:42:35 pm »
This chart was developed by UC Davis based on their analysis of the effect different ingredients have on foam. It’s no surprise UC Davis produced this because their professor, Dr Bamforth, is known as the “Pope of Foam”. As Martin said, if you want foam add non malted wheat to light beers. Based on this information, roasted barley or Black Patent substituted for the wheat helps for dark beers.

Combe AL, Ang JK, Bamforth CW. Positive and negative impacts of specialty malts on beer foam: a comparison of various cereal products for their foaming properties. J Sci Food Agric. 2013 Jul;93(9):2094-101. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6117. Epub 2013 Apr 11. PMID: 23450736.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23450736/

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 07:32:26 pm »
A lot of time though it is because of the bubbles in the line. A good bar tender will pour out the first coupe of ounces unless it's a heavy flowing tap. If it sits for a while it's a good bet it will be more foamy.
If you have bubbles in the line that means that your beer in the keg has more CO2 then head pressure. Bubbles are actually degassing beer.

One way to prevent it is to balance your carbonation to your draught system.

I am not a big fan of pouring couple of oz of each pour down to drain.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 07:49:20 pm »
A lot of time though it is because of the bubbles in the line. A good bar tender will pour out the first coupe of ounces unless it's a heavy flowing tap. If it sits for a while it's a good bet it will be more foamy.
If you have bubbles in the line that means that your beer in the keg has more CO2 then head pressure. Bubbles are actually degassing beer.

One way to prevent it is to balance your carbonation to your draught system.

I am not a big fan of pouring couple of oz of each pour down to drain.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about every pour I'm talking about the stuff left in the line for extended period that bubbles due to either temp change or whatever. Agree with balancing the system.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 03:36:30 am »
I bought several pounds of white wheat malt. In hopes of improving head, in the retention department.

How much does it take in a 10 gallon batch?

Based on good information BrewBama provided, it depends
on what other malts are also used.  It could be none, very little, or a lot.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:51:22 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

Wheat for Head
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 06:59:37 am »
As Denny said and Martin explained in post #12, wheat malt doesn’t help with foam as much. According to Chris Colby, “My experience has been that, if you are having problems with forming a head, adding wheat malt doesn’t help.”

Dr Bamforth’s chart shows unmalted wheat (flaked, torrified, raw] does.

However, Briess states on their wheat malt data sheet that “5% Improves head and head retention in any beer style”. Of course these are the same fine folks that sell CaraPils for head retention.

IMO the best use of several pounds of wheat malt would be to brew a Weizen or Wit.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:27:54 am by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2021, 07:25:10 am »
As Denny said and Martin explained in post #12, wheat malt doesn’t help with foam as much. According to Chris Colby, “My experience has been that, if you are having problems with forming a head, adding wheat malt doesn’t help.”

Dr Bamforth’s chart shows unmalted wheat (flaked, torrified, etc] does.

However, Briess states on their wheat malt data sheet that “5% Improves head and head retention in any beer style”. Of course these are the same fine folks that sell CaraPils for head retention.

I respectfully disagree.

The abstract from their research (which I assume the chart was based on)
states under results-  "By contrast, wheat malt and especially black malt
have a heavy preponderance of foam-positive components. "

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23450736/

Since the chart does not specify malted, or not malted, it's assumed all are malted.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:30:08 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

Wheat for Head
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 07:31:54 am »
I stand corrected. As with many issues in home brewing, conflicting information abounds.

Go with Briess’ 5% recommendation and see what you think. Increase/decrease based on experience.

Briess’ recommendation for wheat flakes is “0.5-1.0% to a standard brew to increase foam stability.”  They don’t mention foam in their torrified wheat data sheet.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:47:54 am by BrewBama »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2021, 07:55:27 am »

How much does it take in a 10 gallon batch?

None.  https://web.archive.org/web/20090809234712/ttp://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

In the excellent article referenced by Denny it says:

My experience has been that, if you are having problems with forming a head, adding wheat malt doesn’t help. (On the other hand, if you are already getting decent foam, adding wheat can increase the amount and longevity of foam.)

The question asked in this post was about increasing the longevity of the foam, so wheat might help. The same article says that 1 lb per 10 gallons is the amount generally recommended.

This is my understanding of the purpose of using wheat malt.  The higher protein content (as compared to barley) can aid in foam "retention" and to an extent, mouthfeel.  I use a bit of wheat malt in most of my beers and I *think* it helps.  Can I prove anything?  Of course not.  But I'll keep using it.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2021, 07:57:38 am »
It's my belief that those who don't think malted wheat helps with foam,
are using amounts not sufficient enough to overtake poor foaming capabilities of other malts.

I use Malted White Wheat a lot, and have seen improvements.
It's not a magic pill, but does help.  To me, white wheat also adds
a delicate smoothness / mouthfeel that I enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:28:21 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2021, 08:29:05 am »
The point of the matter that I think some are trying to point out and that others seem to be missing is that wheat malt won;t help your head retention problems if you have fusel oils or other fermentation issues. Or if you dunk your cheese burrito into your beer, Pretty much nothing is going to fix that. If you have great fermentation practices and keep your glassware squeaky clean wheat malt, etc., will help aid or boost that head retention.

Them's the facts.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 08:31:32 am »
The point of the matter that I think some are trying to point out and that others seem to be missing is that wheat malt won;t help your head retention problems if you have fusel oils or other fermentation issues. Or if you dunk your cheese burrito into your beer, Pretty much nothing is going to fix that. If you have great fermentation practices and keep your glassware squeaky clean wheat malt, etc., will help aid or boost that head retention.

Them's the facts.

+1