Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: more smoking . . .  (Read 7035 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: more smoking . . .
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 07:17:32 am »
A question for those who go by internal temperature: are you measuring the temperature when you remove it, or the temperature it reaches after it rests?  How much carry-over cooking do you get?

I normally smoke a pork butt until it acts a certain way, sort of like you grill a steak until it feels a certain way.  I look for it to pull apart easily (connective tissue broken down).

Connective tissue is mostly collagen. It starts breaking down into gelatin around 160F and keeps going until around 180F. If you mash, you understand how things change at different temperatures. But this isn't as fast as a mash; it takes time.  Fat also renders and bastes the meat.

Silverskin doesn't break down; always trim it off before cooking.

I do more braising than smoking, but you use similar cuts of meat and the meat changes in the same way.  It's just that one way gives you flavor from rubs and smoke, and the other from searing and aromatics.  But I check for doneness in the same way; try to pull it apart and watch how it acts.  I guess I should take the temperature of the meat at that point to see what it is.

At what point does the meat start to dry out? Certainly protein contracts when heated and can push out moisture. Fat and gelatin melt and can drip off. What is the temperature trade-off between tender and dry?  Like I said, I do it by appearance so I'd like to know what temperatures correspond to those points.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 08:11:39 am »
For pork I tend to do "by feel" as well but I get it to 180 internal as a rough guide.  I'd rather verge on overcooked, and less moist, than undercooked.  When pork (particularly ribs!) are undercooked (cooked in the sense of over 165, but not tender) they adhere to the bone and the stringy texture of the meat that invariably wedges itself in between teeth and gums is unappealing to me.  But I've roasted pork ribs until you'd think they would be way overcooked, and aside from being a bit too fall off the bone, they definitely have stayed moist...just so much fat in them!  I'd be much more careful with, say, pork loin, which will dry out if you look at it too sternly.

But for something like pulled pork, I usually am going to toss it with some kind of sauce anyway, so I'd rather it get fully done and tender (if a bit drier).  I haven't done pork shoulders in forever though.  Lately its been mostly ribs, chicken (spatchcocked), steaks, and occasionally cured meats for the meat slicer (canadian bacon from cured pork loin and pastrami from corned beef).

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 10:52:30 am »
I pull my butts off at 195 and double foil and wrap them in a towel and throw them into a cooler a couple hours before pulling.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:10:31 am by deepsouth »
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 12:59:04 pm »
I pull my butts off at 195 and double foil and wrap them in a towel and throw them into a cooler a couple hours before pulling.

+1

This final step of wrapping and placing in a cooler is a method employed by competition teams.  I currently have a boston butt on my smoker and just foiled it at 145F and will pull it at 195ish.  I will then wrap it with another layer of foil and put it in a cooler with a towel wrapped around it for a couple hours.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »
we could hang out...

AHA# 196703

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 03:02:50 pm »
BBQ and homebrew...what more can I ask for... :-\
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 03:50:00 pm »
True that.

AHA# 196703

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 07:57:21 pm »
Ah, alcohol infused bro-mance!  :-*
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 07:58:22 pm »
Ah, alcohol infused bro-mance!  :-*

Yes...we love you too.   :P
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »
hahaha.

AHA# 196703