Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Shelf Life?  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Beer Shelf Life?
« on: February 08, 2021, 09:38:36 am »
My beer supply has grown faster than my ability to drink it. This is partly due to physical and medical reasons. No, I have not quit consuming adult beverages, but my intake has significantly abated.

If stored in kegs, at 31-32 degrees, how long would the beer remain fresh tasting? Two months? Longer?

Yes, I know that a good London Porter will last a long time, much like Guinness Draft (months!). But how about the Euro-Lagers that we have in stock?

Found this: https://byo.com/mr-wizard/how-long-will-my-beer-stay-fresh-in-a-keg/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:43:32 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Beer Shelf Life?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:59:54 am »
It depends on the beer - obviously hoppy beers will change and fall off quicker than most other styles. But if kept cold most beers should remain drinkable for 4-6 months or longer - especially at the temps you speak of.

Keep o2 pick up to a minimum to prolong shelf life

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 10:30:56 am »
You might consider brewing smaller batches if your supply is outpacing demand in addition to paying close attention to O2 pickup and keeping it cold and dark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 10:55:50 am »
Refrigerated it will last at least 9-12 months, and often longer.  At room temperature, not so much.  But refrigerated, oh yeah.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 11:16:38 am »
yeah, really depends on your storage. beers i made in the fall, still taste fine by early summer. but beers brewed in spring, that sat over summer temps are noticeably wonky by fall.

if you have a stable temp place below 70F at all, just keep them there and definitely no big problems for at least 6 months. if refrigerated, i wouldnt even worry other than long-term keg issues which i am no expert in.

bottle some?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 12:21:58 pm »
My pale beers darken noticeably by the 3 or 4 month mark of being on tap. They don't taste horrible, but I feel that they lose a bit of the fresh malt flavor they have when they're young. Other beers, even hoppy ones, are easily still doing well at the 6 to 9 month mark. They're probably fine even longer beyond that, but past that point the keg is either kicked or dumped at my house.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 01:04:25 pm »
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

I had Guinness on draft, and the keg was past it's pull-date by a couple months when we bought it. 6 months later, the beer was still good. But dark beers, stouts / porters, age very well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 02:09:24 pm »

I had Guinness on draft, and the keg was past it's pull-date by a couple months when we bought it. 6 months later, the beer was still good. But dark beers, stouts / porters, age very well.

And no doubt Guinness has better process control than homebrewers
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 03:10:14 pm »

Yes! Guinness is dark, so that helps, but it doesn't have higher alcohol or high hop rates. Strong beers with a good amount of hops can last a long time. Keeping O2 out at packaging helps extend life of the beer.

The exception to the above are the Belgian style sour beers as the low pH inhibits some spoilers, and the Brett and Pedio have eaten the any dextrins and starches, leaving no food for spoilers. Those are  ~5% and have low hop rates, but last for a decade or two.

Storage is a key factor. I've had some really old strong beers that some breweries "found" in their cooler library. Those are usually a treat.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 03:31:40 pm »

Guinness for sure. I have also had kegs from The Boston Beer Company (Oktoberfest) and Anheuser Busch (Budweiser), that went bad (sour) after about 6 months.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 08:47:42 am »
Refrigerated it will last at least 9-12 months, and often longer.  At room temperature, not so much.  But refrigerated, oh yeah.

+1 here. I am currently finishing off a keg of Schwartzbier brewed 10 months ago - still tasted fine. I've found that of course beers the are hops-focused (IPA...) don't fare so well with age, and also that British bitters have shifted notably when older, but have had many beers where I have worked on the keg for 6 months or more and had them still be tasty - apparently stable. I run my kegerator at 36 degrees.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 09:18:45 am »
The Low O2 guys say that using their methods even hop fwd beers will taste the same months later as they did the day they were tapped.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 09:33:28 am »
Thanks again for the great input. In my experience a keg of home brew has never gone “bad”. But they normally are consumed within 3 to 6 months time. A separate freezer, kept at 31 degrees, will be used for long term storage.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 11:57:40 am »
The Low O2 guys say that using their methods even hop fwd beers will taste the same months later as they did the day they were tapped.
I tend to overdo it when I make a trip up to Treehouse and come back overloaded. I've found cans of theirs in my fridge that were a year old or more. They didn't taste 100% the same as fresh, but they were still damn good. Control your oxygen intake and keep your beer cold and it will last a surprisingly long time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 12:10:58 pm »
oh and one more thing i am starting to consider: beers with unconverted(?) starch.

i used to use flaked, unmalted grains willy nilly, throwing a bit in various brews, but ive started to consider the fact that these unfermentables which add body to the beer and head can make the beer change over a long period of time. i think this based on theory and some personal experience in which wits and dry stouts have changed greatly over their lifespan.

also not fully saccharified malts may contribute some of these things.